Home

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is Coming to Wii U

This is a discussion on Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is Coming to Wii U within the Tennis forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is Coming to Wii U

Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is coming to the Wii U this Holiday Season, Nintendo announced during their E3 Digital Event. You can check out the brief trailer released by Nintendo above, or click here.

Platform: Wii U
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
I may actually turn on my wii u in like 4 years now. Hoping for NO gimmicky motion controls
Old 06-16-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
Banned

illmatic04's Arena

OVR: 4
this is so stupid man
Old 06-17-2015, 12:31 AM   #4
MVP

ricky24's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is Coming to Wii U

Love Mario tennis. N64 version is still one of my favorite games. Been waiting for the next one.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic04
this is so stupid man
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky24
Love Mario tennis. N64 version is still one of my favorite games. Been waiting for the next one.
Don't rank on it until you play it, illmatic. Mario Tennis, Ken Griffey Jr. SlugFest, Excitebike 64, Rush 2, and GoldenEye defined my N64 era.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 06-20-2015 at 02:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
MVP

Molarmite's Arena

OVR: 13

Has anyone played this yet? I play mostly multi player with friends so I'm just curious on the gameplay. How does it relate to the N64 version?

I've heard it has no campaign or unlockables but that doesn't matter as long as it's a fun game to play.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Watching the earlier E3 videos, I was very disappointed in the mushroom power-ups. It would be one thing if it happened once a set, but it appears to happen like three times a serve! I know I'm overexaggerating that figure, but it was just far too often. I hope they toned that down, or that it can be toned down.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 11-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molarmite
Has anyone played this yet? I play mostly multi player with friends so I'm just curious on the gameplay. How does it relate to the N64 version?

I've heard it has no campaign or unlockables but that doesn't matter as long as it's a fun game to play.
If you play in "Simple Mode" the gameplay is pretty close to the N64 version.

The normal shots do feel a bit too weak though once you remove the mushrooms/chance shots.

And it's way too easy to hit return aces compared to how hard it is to make service aces.

The N64 version plays better IMO. Stick with that version if you don't mind the dated graphics.

Quote:
Watching the earlier E3 videos, I was very disappointed in the mushroom power-ups. It would be one thing if it happened once a set, but it appears to happen like three times a serve! I know I'm overexaggerating that figure, but it was just far too often. I hope they toned that down, or that it can be toned down.
I've had zero fun playing the modes that have mushrooms/chance shots. They aren't very balanced mechanics and they add very little enjoyment to the game IMO.

Last edited by jyoung; 11-26-2015 at 11:51 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Tennis »