Home

Operation Sports Podcast #4: Perfect Golf Interview with Andrew Jones

This is a discussion on Operation Sports Podcast #4: Perfect Golf Interview with Andrew Jones within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Operation Sports Podcast #4: Perfect Golf Interview with Andrew Jones

Today on the Operation Sports Podcast, Chris Sanner sits down with PerfectParallel COO Andrew Jones to talk about their new Golf Game which just hit on Steam Early Access called Perfect Golf -- which seeks to be the deepest and most comprehensive golf sim on the market.

Andrew talks about the game, how it came about, his background within Golf gaming -- and we also learn about the exciting new physics in the game which guarantees no two shots are ever the same.

Give us a listen!

Runtime: 24:05

Platform: Mac / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2015, 04:52 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Operation Sports Podcast #4: Perfect Golf Interview with Andrew Jones

All i can say, that this game has a great foundation. The motion swing and the in-air ball physics are so lifelike! When I'm standing on a long par 3 with water in front of the green i really get anxious. Because i have to get the (motion) swing right. Tempo has to be right as well as hitting the ball in the centre of the club. And this is, at least on the harder difficulties, far from easy. Having said that: It's so satisfying to get it right - because it isn't easy. I own TGC as well, and i honestly have to say, that i doesn't get this feeling often in that game. The swing is too easy for me, pitching and chipping isn't a real challenge. TGC looks terrific, but i doesn't get the feeling of a real golf sim.

The graphics in PG aren't as flashy as TGCs but to me they look very realistic. It really get the immersion of beeing on a golf course. The ondulations of the fairways and greens are very well designed as the bunkers as well. The whole topography of a golf course is well designed - better as in any golf game so far.

I'm a pretty good golfer in real life (handicap 9) and when i'm playing Perfect Golf i have to make decisions, i have to make in real life as well. You have a 170 yards approach to a tugged pin in the left back corner of a green? Do you go directly to the flag, or maybe you should go with a lower draw and let the ball release to the pin? You can perform all those shots in PG. In this special case you have to perform a draw with motion swing, aim 10-15 yards to right, try to land the ball 5 yards right of the flag. The sidespin (Perfect Golf has real ballflight and spin rates data implemented in the game!) of the draw will push the ball slowly towards the flag. I have to say: This feels like real golf!

Is it PERFECT Golf right now? No. The graphics could use a little tinkering. More information about the lie of the ball and way more camera options should be implemented. But for me, those things are, although important, just cosmetics.

For everybody, who is searching for a golfSIM: Check this game out (for only 19 $ !!). Remember: This is early access. The core golf gameplay is in a very satisfying state already. I'm sure, that the release version will be a wonderful representation of golf!
Old 02-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70
All i can say, that this game has a great foundation. The motion swing and the in-air ball physics are so lifelike! When I'm standing on a long par 3 with water in front of the green i really get anxious. Because i have to get the (motion) swing right. Tempo has to be right as well as hitting the ball in the centre of the club. And this is, at least on the harder difficulties, far from easy. Having said that: It's so satisfying to get it right - because it isn't easy. I own TGC as well, and i honestly have to say, that i doesn't get this feeling often in that game. The swing is too easy for me, pitching and chipping isn't a real challenge. TGC looks terrific, but i doesn't get the feeling of a real golf sim.

The graphics in PG aren't as flashy as TGCs but to me they look very realistic. It really get the immersion of beeing on a golf course. The ondulations of the fairways and greens are very well designed as the bunkers as well. The whole topography of a golf course is well designed - better as in any golf game so far.

I'm a pretty good golfer in real life (handicap 9) and when i'm playing Perfect Golf i have to make decisions, i have to make in real life as well. You have a 170 yards approach to a tugged pin in the left back corner of a green? Do you go directly to the flag, or maybe you should go with a lower draw and let the ball release to the pin? You can perform all those shots in PG. In this special case you have to perform a draw with motion swing, aim 10-15 yards to right, try to land the ball 5 yards right of the flag. The sidespin (Perfect Golf has real ballflight and spin rates data implemented in the game!) of the draw will push the ball slowly towards the flag. I have to say: This feels like real golf!

Is it PERFECT Golf right now? No. The graphics could use a little tinkering. More information about the lie of the ball and way more camera options should be implemented. But for me, those things are, although important, just cosmetics.

For everybody, who is searching for a golfSIM: Check this game out (for only 19 $ !!). Remember: This is early access. The core golf gameplay is in a very satisfying state already. I'm sure, that the release version will be a wonderful representation of golf!

I'm with you 110%.
Perfect golf has the best foundation of any golf game ever.

It is truly next-generation in terms of the ball physics especially with regard to ball flight.

I think some things around the greens could use a little work but it is still early access so I will be patient.

And in comparison to the golf club, there is no comparison. I played that game plenty and it's firmly in the "game" territory.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #4
Rookie

This game is the real deal!! Striving for realism. The devs incorporated real trackmann data to the ball physics (launch angle, spin rate, etc.) The realism of the ball flight and physics and generally the feel that you need to plan your way around the course is really stunning.

The game is in early access right now and costs only 20 $. For every golf fan with a half decent computer who likes playing golf games it is a must buy imho.

I played nearly 300 hours so far and the best of the game is yet to come: Port for consoles, a career mode and a feature, that could be a revolution for golf games: The company that develops the game does the hole by hole fly-bys for Sky Sports and has access to trackmann data of PGA Tour players. The ultimate goal is to implement this data into the game, so that it would be possible to play really against the pros.

Here is the link to the forum, where you can gather more information about the state of the game: http://www.perfectpa...7-perfect-golf/
Old 12-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #5
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
This game is the real deal!! Striving for realism. The devs incorporated real trackmann data to the ball physics (launch angle, spin rate, etc.) The realism of the ball flight and physics and generally the feel that you need to plan your way around the course is really stunning.

The game is in early access right now and costs only 20 $. For every golf fan with a half decent computer who likes playing golf games it is a must buy imho.

I played nearly 300 hours so far and the best of the game is yet to come: Port for consoles, a career mode and a feature, that could be a revolution for golf games: The company that develops the game does the hole by hole fly-bys for Sky Sports and has access to trackmann data of PGA Tour players. The ultimate goal is to implement this data into the game, so that it would be possible to play really against the pros.

Here is the link to the forum, where you can gather more information about the state of the game: http://www.perfectpa...7-perfect-golf/
Glad you are enjoying the game so much Frank!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
Rookie

Golfsprince's Arena

So, I've been hearing very mixed reviews for PG. The most mixture of opinions I've ever seen for a golf game.

I've been really tempted to try this game out and am still pretty excited for it to get on consoles.

But, I've been thinking about getting this on PC in the meantime.

I understand that this game is supposed to be very realistic like real golf in which is cool and something a little different.

So, I'm kinda up in the air about it with some of the mixed thoughts. I don't always rely on opinions but with this being so mixed, it's kinda teasing my brain lol.

Wasn't PG suppose to have the ability to walk the greens and walk to your next shot? I saw something like that on the old Kickstarter campaign that PG had.

A feature like that would add an extra chunk of immersion to the game.

One thing that I do love is that PG is continuing to add authentic courses which is amazing.

Favorite Teams

Golf - USA Ryder Cup Squad

NFL - Bears, Falcons

NBA - Bulls

MLB - White Sox

College - Northwestern Wildcats, DePaul Blue Demons, UIC Flames, DuPage Chaparrals
Old 12-14-2015, 05:28 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfsprince
So, I've been hearing very mixed reviews for PG. The most mixture of opinions I've ever seen for a golf game.

I've been really tempted to try this game out and am still pretty excited for it to get on consoles.

But, I've been thinking about getting this on PC in the meantime.

I understand that this game is supposed to be very realistic like real golf in which is cool and something a little different.

So, I'm kinda up in the air about it with some of the mixed thoughts. I don't always rely on opinions but with this being so mixed, it's kinda teasing my brain lol.

Wasn't PG suppose to have the ability to walk the greens and walk to your next shot? I saw something like that on the old Kickstarter campaign that PG had.

A feature like that would add an extra chunk of immersion to the game.

One thing that I do love is that PG is continuing to add authentic courses which is amazing.
The mixed reviews mainly result of the fact that most people compare Perfect Golf to other golf GAMES. But the approach of Perfect Golf is a bit different. The motion swing and the real time physics require feel, experience and practice - like in the real game. You cannot dial in a distance. The ball flight and the reaction of the ball when meeting the ground depend on various factors which is unique compared to every game we have seen before. Lie of the ball, launch angle, spin effect and spin axis, realtime wind with gusts that can influence the ballflight, landing on a downslope or upslope. All this and the wonderful motion swing, that requires rhythm and precision gives you the immersion of playing real golf in a way i have never experienced in another golf game. You have to plan your way around the golf course - grip it and rip it is maybe possible in the lower difficult levels - on tour pro everything under par is a real accomplishment.

So Perfect Parallel wants to make a golf sim. And to be honest: They are not already at the finish line. Features like walking the course or a career mode are still missing and are planned to come down the line, as they plan to develop the game further on.

But for 20 $ this game is really a steal. As i see it, this game has soooo much potential. Every golf gaming fan should buy it to support the devs to finish up what started already great.

Last edited by frank70; 12-14-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
Rookie

Golfsprince's Arena

Quote:
The mixed reviews mainly result of the fact that most people compare Perfect Golf to other golf GAMES. But the approach of Perfect Golf is a bit different. The motion swing and the real time physics require feel, experience and practice - like in the real game. You cannot dial in a distance. The ball flight and the reaction of the ball when meeting the ground depend on various factors which is unique compared to every game we have seen before. Lie of the ball, launch angle, spin effect and spin axis, realtime wind with gusts that can influence the ballflight, landing on a downslope or upslope. All this and the wonderful motion swing, that requires rhythm and precision gives you the immersion of playing real golf in a way i have never experienced in another golf game. You have to plan your way around the golf course - grip it and rip it is maybe possible in the lower difficult levels - on tour pro everything under par is a real accomplishment.

So Perfect Parallel wants to make a golf sim. And to be honest: They are not already at the finish line. Features like walking the course or a career mode are still missing and are planned to come down the line, as they plan to develop the game further on.

But for 20 $ this game is really a steal. As i see it, this game has soooo much potential. Every golf gaming fan should buy it to support the devs to finish up what started already great.
Thanks for the info Frank. $20 is a steal and the realism of the golf sounds fun.

I'm an arcade preferred style virtual golfer but always enjoy playing something that plays more realistically.

Hopefully it comes out on consoles sooner rather than later!

Favorite Teams

Golf - USA Ryder Cup Squad

NFL - Bears, Falcons

NBA - Bulls

MLB - White Sox

College - Northwestern Wildcats, DePaul Blue Demons, UIC Flames, DuPage Chaparrals

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »