Home

Take-Two Interactive & Visual Concepts Sued By Tattoo Artists

This is a discussion on Take-Two Interactive & Visual Concepts Sued By Tattoo Artists within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2016, 08:16 PM   #17
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Makers of NBA2K sued for using players' tattoos without permission

Karma for making all these little kids buy VC?
Old 02-01-2016, 08:20 PM   #18
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
The eight infringed-on designs include a child's portrait and script scrolls with clouds and doves on LeBron James' forearms and butterflies on Kobe Bryant's arm.
This made me chuckle.

Dibs on the NBA 2K17 "Where's Kobes butterfly's at?" thread
Old 02-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #19
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22

I would start expecting tattoos to not show up in game. Going to have to get waivers for practically every player in the NBA lol.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #20
Rookie

The NBA players will have to get the waivers from the artists if they want their tattoos in the game.

I doubt every player goes through the trouble to do that, so next year there will be less tattoos in the game.

Last edited by Yuss; 02-01-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #21
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

I expect the courts to knock this nonsense off eventually. The can of worms that they'd be opening letting people put copyright claims on tattoos would be insane. Like Two Four mentioned what's next, you gonna let dudes start putting in claims for hair cuts? The NBA going to have to blur out every tattoo on every player in league history to show old games on tv, release their championship DVDs for the Finals winning teams? It's a bad precedent to set allowing tattoo artist to start suing for copyrights knowing damn well that their inking guys who's jobs are to be filmed/visible in the public eye. They're getting free exposure to millions by the guys wearing their ink in the first place and are getting greedy now. Reading the story that thing said this company "acquired" the rights to the tattoos last year. They're suing over a tattoo that Kobe has had on his body and in 2K games for about a decade now. That ain't right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
I expect the courts to knock this nonsense off eventually. The can of worms that they'd be opening letting people put copyright claims on tattoos would be insane. Like Two Four mentioned what's next, you gonna let dudes start putting in claims for hair cuts? The NBA going to have to blur out every tattoo on every player in league history to show old games on tv, release their championship DVDs for the Finals winning teams? It's a bad precedent to set allowing tattoo artist to start suing for copyrights knowing damn well that their inking guys who's jobs are to be filmed/visible in the public eye. They're getting free exposure to millions by the guys wearing their ink in the first place and are getting greedy now. Reading the story that thing said this company "acquired" the rights to the tattoos last year. They're suing over a tattoo that Kobe has had on his body and in 2K games for about a decade now. That ain't right.
Really? So tell me who did the ink on Andre Iguodala? This should be easy to answer as these guys are getting all this exposure.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #23
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Seems like a money grab lawsuit....2K Sports will probably settle out of court, then make sure to have something in place for the next up and coming ambulance chasing lawyer. Also, let's not start pretending this is "Doh!" moment for 2K Sports. Tattoos have been in the game for a while now, and no such lawsuits were filed before. It's just a situation where someone thought of it, tried it, and won. Now, everyone wants a piece of that pie.

24th Letter might have been joking, but I can see barbers wanting to sue over their "Patented Haircut".
Old 02-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #24
Pro

Re: Take-Two Interactive & Visual Concepts Sued By Tattoo Artists

All I'm hoping is this somehow gets resolved without having to straight-up remove the tattoos.

Seeing Colin Kaepernick with bare arms in madden was the most jarring thing ever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »