Home

Mike Wang Explains the Art of Perfecting Your Jumper in NBA 2K16

This is a discussion on Mike Wang Explains the Art of Perfecting Your Jumper in NBA 2K16 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #17
NBA 2K Production Assistant

bedwardsroy19's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: How To Shoot The Perfect NBA 2K16 Jumper (According to 2K Sports' Gameplay Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO6IX
The ratings are very inconsistent and don't account for volume. Lowry is shooting 40% on 7 attempts per game and 144 makes yet his rating is lower than Serge Ibaka who is shooting 37% and has only made 40. 25 of those are from the corner

Lowry has an 83 standing, 82 moving

Ibaka has an 85 moving, 79 moving
In the Official Roster Serge's Standing Three is an 82, not an 85. So Serge is lower than Lowry in both attributes
Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #18
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How To Shoot The Perfect NBA 2K16 Jumper (According to 2K Sports' Gameplay Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
The ending flat out confirms something I've been saying to people since day one. I've always noticed that if you get the ball in a catch and shoot situation, if the animation is good the shot falls more often.

For example, if I come off a pin down, catch and shoot getting a ball bobble animation, the shot I hoist up will usually not fall.

If I get no animation, and shoot, It's about 50/50.

If I get a Hop-Dip-Shoot animation. Money ball all day.

Catching it in the right shooting rhythm, and the right mechanics has been a thing since 2k14 on last gen. I started noticing then, and it's remained constant since

I made a thread about this. Shooters don't consistently hop or 1-2 when coming off screens. Having to wait a few seconds for a shooter to get squared when they're open is very annoying. Another use for the hop would be for bad passes, you're able to get squared and shoot in rhythm when a pass is too low, too far left or right instead of standing in the same place and fumbling the ball.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #19
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO6IX
I made a thread about this. Shooters don't consistently hop or 1-2 when coming off screens. Having to wait a few seconds for a shooter to get squared when they're open is very annoying. Another use for the hop would be for bad passes, you're able to get squared and shoot in rhythm when a pass is too low, too far left or right instead of standing in the same place and fumbling the ball.
Absolutely.

That's why I tend to not fire away unless I get a 1-2 or a hop unless I have to. A lot of guys wonder why I pass on some wide open, or "alright" looks on the park. This is the reason. If the Mechanics look off, I'll attack the close out after getting set for a second. If they don't bother, I'll hoist it up after squaring.

But yes, there's no consistent way to get the hop off a screen curl, and that sucks

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 02-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #20
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedwardsroy19
In the Official Roster Serge's Standing Three is an 82, not an 85. So Serge is lower than Lowry in both attributes
Thanks for clearing that up. But could you explain DeRozan and Ross getting bumps to their 3 point for their recent play but Lowry still having an 83 even though he's been the most consistent with his shot?

Last 3 games - 5/5 3PT @ Suns, 7/10 3PT @Blazers
2/5 3PT @Pistons

40% in January on 7 attempts per game
48% in February on 8 attempts per game
Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #21
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Mike Wang Explains the Art of Perfecting Your Jumper in NBA 2K16

Linking real life fg% to jumpshot rating: is that negating the effectiveness / purpose of user timing?

My career character is a SG with 78 on 3s and 80 on mids so he would fall into the approximate 35% real life fg% bucket. In Pro Am with this guy: I'm having some games where I do fall under that grid but more recently I went an abysmal 3 for 18.

As a competitor, I look at those stats and contemplate: where did I go wrong and where are my opportunities to improve? Is it my timing that was very off on open shots? Was it a lack of rhythm? The previous game I went 8 for 15 against a top 100 squad that was not given me nearly as many easy looks... but this 70 and 70 (50% win%) squad I just shot my team and my self in the foot with miss after miss... 2 of my 3 makes out of the 18 attempts were off 3s... I just couldn't fathom what the hay I was doing that was so detrimental to my success...

Games like this get me questioning how much control over these outcomes is really in my control. It may come to the point I need to turn down shots because even as a balanced 99 SG I am unable to be a factor in the paint in Pro Am... the competitor in me though is willing to keep coming back like 2015/2016 Kobe and keep shooting and attempting to make good on my looks... I just cannot picture playing like a coward and turning down good looks because the game is somehow keeping me in check.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #22
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Great article. However, I don't think a perfect release should double the likelihood of a made shot. Taking a shot from 40 to 80 percent is to much. Especially, when the article says that certain jumpers are easier to get a perfect release on the others. This is why certain players can shoot well beyond their ratings. The ease of a shot release shouldn't make someone a better shooter. I hope in 2k17 they lower the perfect release boost greatly.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 02-09-2016, 10:07 PM   #23
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

On the flip side: ratings also determine the prevalence of perfect releases. It seems as if you need at least *88 or higher on 3s to start generating greens on the arc of the 3.

*This algorithm is determined by All-Star difficulty and higher.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 19
good article.
I love the shot stick and shooting mechanics behind a jump shot.. It is about feel and, knowing your players.

The variation in jump shots are so great that I often use the same players in my franchise mode (fantasy draft)
that is why 2k needs the feature whee we can import our existing franchises into new titles. (off topic)

again good article.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »