Home

MLB The Show 16 Video - More Battle Royale & Conquest Mode Details

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Video - More Battle Royale & Conquest Mode Details within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #17
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - More Battle Royale & Conquest Mode Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchaoss
I'm out on battle royal just because of the buy in. I like the concept but I don't want to have to pay stubs to play the mode hopefully they will drop the buy in pretty quick.

They won't drop the stub buy-in as long as they are giving a free pack just for participating.

Other than buying cards or purchasing training points for RTTS what else is there to spend stubs on? Also, I think I heard them say that you would earn stubs at a higher rate this year.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #18
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

I wonder what it will take to get Nolan Ryan, Tiant, and Arod? Because winning 20 out of 22 games or even like 25 out of 27 games would not be that difficult for some, but for many it would be impossible. I wonder if it will just be a total amount of wins like 300 or so?

Youtube
Old 03-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #19
MVP

myghty's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
Battle Royale seems interesting, but how can you eventually use those 'hard to earn cards' after winning a BR? I like the draft idea, but hope teams can't easily become stacked (again) with those cards. Maybe they are only used in other modes or to be sold?

I don't like the 3 inning games as it allows too much randomness to impact a winner instead of the best player over a 9 inning game.

SCEA needs to remember that MLB is what brings people to their game, not the other way around, and people can play role playing games in far better game offerings. This game is trying to be everything all at once, and that often times leads to mediocrity. Be great at what's made you--simulating MLB baseball.
I totally disagree. More options, the better to bring additional costumers. If SCEA didn't add new modes the game would be stale & there would be no reason to keep buying it every year. We already know they make a great simulated MLB game, why not expand into new territory? Myself, I can't wait to play these modes!

PS5/PSN: myghty
Old 03-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #20
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by myghty
I totally disagree. More options, the better to bring additional costumers. If SCEA didn't add new modes the game would be stale & there would be no reason to keep buying it every year. We already know they make a great simulated MLB game, why not expand into new territory? Myself, I can't wait to play these modes!
They make a 'pretty good' MLB simulation game (bullpen AI needs attention).

I'm excited to see three weeks from now, both these modes and franchise. I'm not against these new modes, but I'd rather have seen a fully functional online league that works. I'm in the camp that believes online franchise numbers are low because the mode is--cough cough--severely lacking and unchanged.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #21
Rookie

I like the conquest mode because it'll make you use your DD team and that will be a fun mode to play and come back to later on. The battle royale though kinda is ruined with the whole buy in concept. I could care less about a free pack. Usually trash 99% of the time anyways. I think the battle royale is good because it'll let you try out the new players and see which ones are worth getting, but having to pay stubs is pretty weak to be honest. I feel like the devs this year are also forcing us to play how they want the game to be played. Some people like DD, some like franchise, RRTS, etc. Now its like well if you want that player you need to play battle royale to unlock this or unlock that. I feel they got way too carried away with all the unlockables this year. There are people who don't want to have to play others online all the time just to get a card. WAs really looking forward to this game, but not I am not feeling it. Draft Champions is what made madden awesome. You got to try out the new cards and the best part about that is you could still play with super expensive cards because cards like a 99, 98, 96 player rating would go for 2,3,4 million coins and in draft champions you could play with them for free and have fun. Maybe if stubs are earned faster it won't be too bad, but when you are trying to build a good DD team, paying 1,500 stubs upfront isnt worth it at all when you are saving stubs for a high player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 3

I agree that the buy-in is annoying. They should remove the free pack and make it free to play.

It should be free like in Madden 16 Draft Champions. If you lose, you get nothing but if you win, you get "tokens" you can cash in for packs once you get enough.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #23
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by E0910
I like the conquest mode because it'll make you use your DD team and that will be a fun mode to play and come back to later on. The battle royale though kinda is ruined with the whole buy in concept. I could care less about a free pack. Usually trash 99% of the time anyways. I think the battle royale is good because it'll let you try out the new players and see which ones are worth getting, but having to pay stubs is pretty weak to be honest. I feel like the devs this year are also forcing us to play how they want the game to be played. Some people like DD, some like franchise, RRTS, etc. Now its like well if you want that player you need to play battle royale to unlock this or unlock that. I feel they got way too carried away with all the unlockables this year. There are people who don't want to have to play others online all the time just to get a card. WAs really looking forward to this game, but not I am not feeling it. Draft Champions is what made madden awesome. You got to try out the new cards and the best part about that is you could still play with super expensive cards because cards like a 99, 98, 96 player rating would go for 2,3,4 million coins and in draft champions you could play with them for free and have fun. Maybe if stubs are earned faster it won't be too bad, but when you are trying to build a good DD team, paying 1,500 stubs upfront isnt worth it at all when you are saving stubs for a high player.

So you want them to just give away a standard pack and potentially other valuable cards just for entering the tournament?

I see it as a choice, I can spend 1,000 stubs on a standard pack or I can spend 1,500 stubs, participate in a tourney, get a standard pack, play with some different cards every time and have a chance to win other more valuable cards. Shoot, you'll probably even earn a few stubs while playing the tournament. Oh, and I think they did say that you would earn stubs at a faster rate this year.

The exclusive cards that you can only by winning in a mode are a way to stop people who play the market or who are just willing to buy stubs outright from just buying every card they want to use in DD. When we see those players on a DD roster we know that they were earned and not bought.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #24
Rookie

I could care less about a free pack. Id rather not have it and enjoy battle royale for free then get free stuff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »