Home

EA Sports UFC 2 Review (PS4/XB1)

This is a discussion on EA Sports UFC 2 Review (PS4/XB1) within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
EA Sports UFC 2 Review (PS4/XB1)

When EA purchased the UFC game license a few years back, it almost seemed like more of a knee-jerk reaction rather than a tactical move. To be sure, EA likely realized that there was an opportunity to ride the upward trajectory of the Las Vegas–based fight promotion. Fight Night had started to flag in sales, and it was time to give something else a try, especially considering the success THQ had with the UFC products they released.

The first EA Sports UFC felt like a positive initial step, but I was aware when reviewing it that the game had a limited development cycle and budget when compared to the bread-winners at EA such as FIFA or Madden. Regardless, I felt the gameplay was relatively satisfying, with striking that provided for some varied wars, as well as a ground and clinch component that allowed for some interesting transitions and work along the cage. But that doesn't mean there weren't some drawbacks. Strike-spamming, stamina issues and a lack of modes were instantly noticeable, but some of those were offset by the game's rock-solid online play and steady stream of updated content and gameplay systems. Eventually, the patches refined the gameplay quite substantially, adding extra animations and "finish the fight" sequences, as well as a strike-chaining and combo system.

Read More - EA Sports UFC 2 Review (PS4/XB1)
Platform: PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
MVP

SeaTownGamer's Arena

OVR: 0
This game needs a universe mode like WWE or I'll never buy it.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaTownGamer
Hopefully something much better than the WWE Universe mode though. SO many things lacking in that mode.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaTownGamer
This game needs gameplay sliders or I'll never buy it.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6
I don't have the game, but have watched several career play throughs online and it seems very unrealistic even on Adaptive AI. The majority of real UFC fights are back and forth with pushing against the cage, takedowns, and ground games. It seems like the majority of UFC 2 fights even up to fights in the top 10 are all knockouts in the first round where you can just spam head kicks and punches over and over. Wish AI fighters would chance the pace and attempt takedowns when they are being rocked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Pro

RLebron12's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: EA Sports UFC 2 Review (PS4/XB1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altohombre
I don't have the game, but have watched several career play throughs online and it seems very unrealistic even on Adaptive AI. The majority of real UFC fights are back and forth with pushing against the cage, takedowns, and ground games. It seems like the majority of UFC 2 fights even up to fights in the top 10 are all knockouts in the first round where you can just spam head kicks and punches over and over. Wish AI fighters would chance the pace and attempt takedowns when they are being rocked.

I have only got to play a couple matches so far but from what I've played it's been a lot harder to just KO someone quickly. Shoot my first match as Rory against Lawler it went all 5 rounds and I lost in decision....that NEVER happened in the past UFC games. But I also don't try to just spam the CPU cause sometimes they'll knock you out, or you'll just lose a lot of stamina so I try to play somewhat realistically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Baseball is a game, yes. It is also a business. But what is most truly is is disguised combat. For all its gentility, its almost leisurely pace, baseball is violence under wraps.” -Willie Mays (The Say Hey Kid)
Old 03-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

This game needs some actual care and time put into it or I'll never buy it. It's absolutely unacceptable that the career mode was practically left an unchanged mess that it is.

Sports game developers need to take a look at NBA 2k and MLB The Show and maybe learn from those guys?
Old 03-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
McG
Rookie

McG's Arena

This game would have been a day one purchase for me, but to me Career Mode is more or less the same as it was almost 2 years ago when it first came out on this gen with just a few changes here and there. The lack of options for the create a fighter for hair and facial hair, while this may not be a huge problem for some, is huge to me. It's mainly based on the fact that the computer also uses these options when making their characters. How many times do I need to see someone with the facial hair or hair as me? I mean seriously, how hard is it to make more than a few facial hair options? It has to be easier than making a whole new mode (UT) or adding tons of tattoos. The sad part is, the haircuts and the facial hair are directly taken from current UFC fighters, so you basically have to look like someone in the UFC when you are creating you fighter. Like I said, this may be nothing to most people, but to me it kills immersion and makes any mode (career/UT) feel shallow and forced, apposed to realistic and in-depth. I may be the minority, but when I play a career mode I want the character to look as much as I do in real life as I can and UFC just doesn't allow that to become even close to reality.

I may just be speculating but I think the lack of career mode options/depth is a direct side effect of having UT in UFC 2. Much like FIFA and Madden, EA has decided to dumb down career mode in favor of UT. Honestly, at this point I just wish UT was an add-on that you could purchase for like $20 or vis versa and career mode was an add-on that you had to pay for. Either way, all I want (as I'm sure others do) an immersive career mode experience that doesn't feel like an "arcadish", pay to win mode, like UT. Really, all you have to do is look at what MLB The Show has been doing for years with their Road to the Show/Franchise mode. They have those modes and they are on the same level of quality and depth as Diamond Dynasty (their UT mode). Together it's the best of both worlds. Both modes are very well done and both allow deep immersion from either spectrum. If you want a career mode experience, then you have the deepest and most well made mode in the sports gaming industry (NBA 2K is right there as well). Also, if you want an UT experience, then Diamond Dynasty is where it's at. In comparison to EA's UT, it's just as good as their mode (if not better), all without sacrificing the career mode in the process.

*My thoughts on the game overall*

The game is fun, but it's not what I wanted it to be and personally I can wait. I am a huge MMA/UFC fan, but I will probably wait until it's discounted or at the earliest I'll wait until there is the typical down time in gaming (usually during the summer months late May-mid August). As of right now I have too many games to play and even more coming up in the next few weeks/months (MLB 16 The Show, Uncharted 4, Quantum Break, Fallout DLC and I'm sure I'm missing something). I really wanted this to be a must buy, but unless you must have this and have nothing else to play, then pass until it's discounted or you have nothing else to play. If you do own it, then more power to you and I really hope you enjoy the game, but personally my EA Access 10 hour preview was enough for now. With that said, I do look forward to picking it up later in the year, but for now I can wait it out.

Great review from OS and Glenn like always. You guys do a great job overall and I enjoy your work.

Last edited by McG; 03-17-2016 at 09:35 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »