Home

DiRT Rally Review (PS4)

This is a discussion on DiRT Rally Review (PS4) within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
DiRT Rally Review (PS4)

Although many consider the racing genre to be a niche genre in the video game industry, it definitely has produced some incredible titles over the years. If you take that mindset one step further, then rally racing would be considered the ultimate niche sport. While not nearly as popular as some of the other circuit racers like F1 and NASCAR, rally racing’s fan base is smaller but definitely not any less loyal or supportive.

Codemasters, the developers of Dirt Rally, have often been described as a champion of dirt racing with its previous Dirt titles, and seems to have created something special again with Dirt Rally. While it may not overtake 1998’s Colin McRae Rally for some, it just might for others.

Read More - DiRT Rally Review (PS4)
Platform: PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
Rookie

Kevin82485's Arena

OVR: 2
I played it during the early access on Steam and picked it up again after its full release. It's a deep game, great looking too, but the difficulty to crushing and unforgiving.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:50 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Best rally game I've ever played, and that includes Richard Burns Rally.
Kudos to Codemasters for releasing a game in this day and age that's challenging and rewarding.

As with any good driving game a decent wheel improves the experience ten-fold, and that's the case here.
I couldn't imagine playing this without a wheel.

Oh, and it doesn't half look pretty too.

9 from me.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:09 AM   #4
Pro

poulka's Arena

OVR: 8
Keep the comments coming on this review because each one I hear. It makes me want this more and more. Wanted forward but think I will get this instead.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2
A few things I would add to this review which might swing it for some...

Not only does it include standard rally events it's also includes Rally cross and hill climb and whilst that is a stripped back roster of event from the previous dirt outings it's nice to see More than just Straight pure rally events.

I have always found the inclusion of Rally Cross a massive bonus for rally games as it gives head to head racing and overtaking to master a skill set usually not needed.

Whilst they clearly need to add more tracks and cars to the rally cross section I was shocked and pleased
To see my local (5 min walk from my old house) rally cross track included.

There are only 3 different rally cross locations as standard.

This game is brutally punishing... I've only had a few races and it looks gorgeous, sounds gorgeous and plays well... No regrets buying it but I suspect I won't win race for months!

On the three Rally games on the ps4 this wins by miles..... But content wise it's stripped back from its cousins on the PS3.... Which I think everyone will agree is disappointing

Also on the review....

It's also worth noting that in Europe Rally racing is much bigger than NASCAR and isn't really seem as a niche Motorsport.

You will find it much easier to find a Rally fan in the UK for example than a NASCAR fan.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
MVP

fearwhatnow's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: DiRT Rally Review (PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy
A few things I would add to this review which might swing it for some...

Not only does it include standard rally events it's also includes Rally cross and hill climb and whilst that is a stripped back roster of event from the previous dirt outings it's nice to see More than just Straight pure rally events.

I have always found the inclusion of Rally Cross a massive bonus for rally games as it gives head to head racing and overtaking to master a skill set usually not needed.

Whilst they clearly need to add more tracks and cars to the rally cross section I was shocked and pleased
To see my local (5 min walk from my old house) rally cross track included.

There are only 3 different rally cross locations as standard.

This game is brutally punishing... I've only had a few races and it looks gorgeous, sounds gorgeous and plays well... No regrets buying it but I suspect I won't win race for months!

On the three Rally games on the ps4 this wins by miles..... But content wise it's stripped back from its cousins on the PS3.... Which I think everyone will agree is disappointing

Also on the review....

It's also worth noting that in Europe Rally racing is much bigger than NASCAR and isn't really seem as a niche Motorsport.

You will find it much easier to find a Rally fan in the UK for example than a NASCAR fan.
Rally is indeed very popular here in Europe. Also NASCAR is largely underrated here and many jokes have been created about it because of the (mostly) oval racing.
The fact is that Rally combines driving skills, dangerous driving and exotic places. The negative is the "ghost" timed racing and maybe that's why the motorsport is not popular in US.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 33
This is a great game & is indeed one of the most challenging race simulations ever made. My only annoyance is that when racing against the AI in standard Rally mode you don't really get the sense that the timings are being generated in any sort of a realistic manner. It's basically a case of the 1st placed driver setting a very tough to beat time which is considerably faster than the 2nd place driver. I don't recall racing a stage in which I didn't finish in the top 2 myself, whereby the top 2 AI finishing times were remotely close.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #8
Rookie

Ac3way's Arena

OVR: 0
I am from Europe and i don't understand NASCAR at all. I am not dissing that, but i just dont understand that.

Rally i love and i prefer that more than racing on track. Dirt Rally is best rally game there is (even better than modded Richard Burns Rally), but it have some things that can get even better for future.

Best thing about Dirt Rally, is the legendary Rally feeling. Physics and some game elements can get even better with furhter development for Dirt Rally 2.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »