Home

Taking a Look at the New Science of Hitting

This is a discussion on Taking a Look at the New Science of Hitting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Taking a Look at the New Science of Hitting

FiveThirtyEight recently published a great new piece taking a look at the new science of hitting. Given MLB The Show 16's recent inclusion of the information discussed, launch angle and exit velocity, there is a lot to learn about the new science of hitting and the typical outcome of each statistical measurement.

Quote:
"Except for those few line drives just before the doughnut hole, more exit velocity is generally better for batters. Although exit velocity most directly affects slugging percentage — harder-hit balls go farther and turn into extra-base hits more often — it is also correlated with almost every other positive indicator of offensive performance. It even affects how pitchers approach a given hitter; it’s positively associated with walk rate, presumably because pitchers fear throwing balls in the zone to high-exit-velocity hitters.

There are many things we can’t know from these two metrics alone, of course. Anyone who’s ever seen Billy Hamilton leg out an infield single knows that speed plays a significant role in what happens after a ball is struck. In fact, we can see the importance of swift base running by looking at ground balls and grouping batters according to their speed score, a Bill James-designed composite of stolen bases, triples and runs scored. The higher the speed score, the faster the runner."

Check out the full article at the link and be sure to talk about how you've been using both metrics in The Show thus far!
Platform: PS3 / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Dead Solid Perfect

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Taking a Look at the New Science of Hitting

Good thing Teddy Ballgame got his head froze, 'cause New Science might've very well exploded it, otherwise.
Exit velo in the Show is fast becoming one of my fave little things. Anyime I get one over 105 MPH, my eyes light up with glee.

Syracuse #44
Old 04-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Taking a Look at the New Science of Hitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Good thing Teddy Ballgame got his head froze, 'cause New Science might've very well exploded it, otherwise.
Exit velo in the Show is fast becoming one of my fave little things. Anyime I get one over 105 MPH, my eyes light up with glee.

And maybe I'm looking at it wrong but I think I just found justification for a high(er) solid hits slider. So few popups and balls under -25 degrees, which probably where the choppers live.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »