Home

For the Lakers, What is Next After Kobe?

This is a discussion on For the Lakers, What is Next After Kobe? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
For the Lakers, What is Next After Kobe?

The Kobe Bryant era in Los Angeles is over.

After a ton of pomp and circumstance to send the Mamba out, the Lakers are still where they always were -- but now they have an insane amount of cap room and one of the league's worst records to improve upon writes ESPN.

Quote:
"Los Angeles Lakers coach Byron Scott sat before rows of reporters and banks of cameras Friday, dissecting the worst season in franchise history. Among those tuning into the broadcast: Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, who watched on a flat-screen television mounted in his second-floor office overlooking the practice court where Scott conducted his verbal autopsy.

Kupchak studied what questions Scott faced, what answers Scott returned, prepping himself before facing the same media scrum. But then Kupchak's gaze wandered below the TV to a whiteboard where for years the roster has been written in marker. Every year, there's change as names come and go, but one has remained in ink, almost defiantly so, for two decades: Kobe Bryant's."

When it comes to NBA 2K16 (or 2K17) the Lakers are going to present themselves as a fantastic challenge in MyGM to rebuild from the ground up. There are some decent pieces present, with both DeAngelo Russell at the point and Julius Randle at Power-Forward.

But the team itself is coming off of a historically, woefully bad season. Last in the league in scoring, a 17-65 record, a defense that wasn't the worst in the league but might as well have been -- there's a lot of just flat out building to do with the Lakers.

What would you do with the cap space? Would you make a run at high profile free agents like Kevin Durant? Build through the draft? Sound off in the comments below!
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Kobe's retirement is the best thing that could have happened to the Lakers. The lure of L.A. and the prestigious history of the franchise will be enough to land a major FA and/or coach eventually, once the team has improved enough to be seen as 'just a couple of pieces away'.

You now have tons of cap room and no gigantic ego to scare away the top tier FAs.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: For the Lakers, What is Next After Kobe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
Kobe's retirement is the best thing that could have happened to the Lakers. The lure of L.A. and the prestigious history of the franchise will be enough to land a major FA and/or coach eventually, once the team has improved enough to be seen as 'just a couple of pieces away'.

You now have tons of cap room and no gigantic ego to scare away the top tier FAs.
The thing is everyone has cap room and I think the Lakers prestige has been somewhat lost. At least for the short-term.

They're more than likely going to be stuck over paying bad players to fill that space. They just have to keep those to short term contracts and they should be fine.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
Next for the Lakers? Success! As the first post said it best, Kobe was toxic in his last few years.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
The thing is everyone has cap room and I think the Lakers prestige has been somewhat lost. At least for the short-term.

They're more than likely going to be stuck over paying bad players to fill that space. They just have to keep those to short term contracts and they should be fine.
The 'Hollywood' attraction will always be there for some guys. Their front office does need to tighten up though, apparently their recent pitches to potential FAs have not been up to par.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 8

That's what I actually did in 2k16 MyLeague with LAL after simming the 1st season:
- no trades during the season
- no 1st round pick (even if I finished with the 2nd worst record as IRL) because 2k doesn't have protected picks
- Zhou Qi selected with the 32nd pick overall
- fired Byron Scott and replaced him with the best CPU generated HC available
- re-signed only Jordan Clarkson
- signed as FA: Lebron James, Shaun Livingston, Festus Ezeli, Lance Stephenson, Darrell Arthur, Ronnie Price and Ronny Turiaf
- traded Nick Young for a couple of picks

Current Depth chart:
PG: Russell/Livingston/Price
SG: Clarkson/Williams
SF: James/Stephenson/Brown
PF: Randle/Arthur/Turiaf
C: Ezeli/Nance jr/ Qi

Current record: 26-6 (2nd overall in WC)

I would have preferred having Batum/Barnes instead of LBJ (more realistic) but I cannot complain

Last edited by franzis; 04-18-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 0

Depends on GM, as a Brooklyn lifetime fan during NJ------>BKN transition we had good salary cap but our GM made some pretty much idiotic moves. Knowing Lakers franchise they need some longtime loyal superstar to replace Bryant and couple of worthy role players. Nick Young obviously isn't a player you want on your team in rebuilding efforts, nor is Metta World Peace. Russell could be solid piece with proper development, Robert Sacre is at best D-League material and i don't see that guy staying in NBA any longer beyond his current contract. Randle is solid but he isn't really a player you can rely on to give you 15 pts each night. I don't really know why Marcelinho Huertas was brought in first place, his prime was in Europe, now he is just as useful as Jordan Farmar.

It's up to GM now and his moves but Lakers will always be attractive destination for players, don't fool yourself with their records of past 3-4 years. Their situation is much different than one in Brooklyn where our GM sign old and washed out players to big time contracts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Old 04-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #8
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzis
That's what I actually did in 2k16 MyLeague with LAL after simming the 1st season:
- no trades during the season
- no 1st round pick (even if I finished with the 2nd worst record as IRL) because 2k doesn't have protected picks
- Zhou Qi selected with the 32nd pick overall
- fired Byron Scott and replaced him with the best CPU generated HC available
- re-signed only Jordan Clarkson
- signed as FA: Lebron James, Shaun Livingston, Festus Ezeli, Lance Stephenson, Darrell Arthur, Ronnie Price and Ronny Turiaf
- traded Nick Young for a couple of picks

Current Depth chart:
PG: Russell/Livingston/Price
SG: Clarkson/Williams
SF: James/Stephenson/Brown
PF: Randle/Arthur/Turiaf
C: Ezeli/Nance jr/ Qi

Current record: 26-6 (2nd overall in WC)

I would have preferred having Batum/Barnes instead of LBJ (more realistic) but I cannot complain
Ezili Barnes/Batum definately the players the lakers should target.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »