Home

Discuss: General MLB Franchise Roster Management Tips

This is a discussion on Discuss: General MLB Franchise Roster Management Tips within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Discuss: General MLB Franchise Roster Management Tips

Perhaps unlike any other sport, roster management is a huge deal in baseball. From managing how and when to add players to the disabled list, to managing minor leagues, to simply putting together a coherent 25-man roster for the bulk of the season -- roster management is front and center when it comes to baseball.

Managing an MLB Franchise's roster means you have to constantly be monitoring multiple levels of baseball and dozens of players to make sure your roster is evolving as it should. This usually involves a delicate dance of moving players up and down the minors as well as carefully managing your 40 man roster.

If you aren't careful, you can easily find that your roster has horrible imbalances with too many of any one position on your 40 man roster. This creates an uncomfortable position of having to move players sometimes completely out of your franchise just to have a functional roster -- especially if injuries become prevalent in your franchise at a certain position.

With that in mind, what are some of the things you do to keep your roster coherent, balanced, and ready for anything? What are some roster building tips you'd like to share on how to keep things in check?
Platform: PS3 / PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
I really want to know which roster everyone is using. I've heard good and bad about the new version 2 from OSFM and the 40 man version 2 Thanks for you guys input
Old 04-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Discuss: General MLB Franchise Roster Management Tips

I always make sure my bench consists of: a backup catcher, a utility infielder, a 4th outfielder and a go to Pinch hitter.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
I always make sure my bench consists of: a backup catcher, a utility infielder, a 4th outfielder and a go to Pinch hitter.
Just not enough roster spots for position players to go around, esp. for the N.L., when those pinch hitters really are invaluable. I miss the days when 10 pitchers would suffice.
Sometimes I will only carry 11 pitchers instead of 12. Anyone else do this?
#44Syracuse
Old 04-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Just not enough roster spots for position players to go around, esp. for the N.L., when those pinch hitters really are invaluable. I miss the days when 10 pitchers would suffice.
Playing in a Dodgers franchise, it's really easy to carry 11 pitchers instead of 12, especially when one gets hurt. Depending on the situation, and who it was that gets hurt. I took 12 pitchers into the start of the season and 13 position players. Adrian Gonzalez got hurt, which was a big blow for one month so I actually had to call up Barnes to act in a backup catcher roll, put Ellis behind the plate exclusively, Grandal at first to fill in for Gonzalez, and then when fatigue set in when I had 20 games in a row without an off day, I had to put Turner at first base, give Grandal and Ellis some days off here and there, put Culberson in at 3rd, or Kike, throw Barnes behind the plate etc. it got tough sometimes and it was very frustrating as well because Ellis went 11 straight games without a hit but there was nothing I could do guys needed days off to avoid any further injuries or silly mistakes that led to errors (which there were a lot of). Now Utley just got hurt a few games after Gonzalez came back and he's gonna be out 2-3 weeks so I actually had to call up Crawford for an extra outfielder because I needed to put Kendrick at 2B instead of LF, so I had Kike, Thompson, and Crawford as my backup guys on the bench. The Dodgers have so many guys that can play so many places, especially the infielders so it makes roster management a lot easier than most other teams. They don't play all the positions at a gold glove level and have had some game costing errors but it has gotten me through tough times more than not.
Now if a pitcher were to go down, let's say while a fielder was also hurt, depending on who got hurt in the bullpen, I might stay with the 11 in the bullpen and bring up an extra batter and really focus on using the double switch to get as many innings out of my bullpen guys as possible and thus, have enough fielders for the situation. There's nothing worse than going extra innings and having to use bullpen guys in key hitting spots because you've ran out of position players. You can always try to save a long reliever for late tie game situations if you feel it's going to go extras and make sure to use that double switch.

If I was in the American League, I would never go below 12 pitchers simply because 13 position players is enough in almost every situation because there is no need to pinch hit unless a guy is extremely struggling or an injury. I would maybe even go 13 pitchers and 12 batters if my rotation was struggling and I was looking for a go-to reliever for some key middle innings.

Thank you to the OSFM guys for making it possible to pull up real-life ballplayers in the minors when guys are getting hurt at the big league level!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
Rookie

What avg overall rating are you all promoting prospects from triple A?

I try to plan for it, but I want to win now, and wind up signing a veteran than promoting a rookie.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:41 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year

Yep. In fact, I made my Rule 5 selection last offseason to take a "6th starter" so he could be the long man/swing man/go whenever I need innings guy.

Let's me go with 11 pitchers and that guy doesn't need to be great because, ideally, I won't use him very much (and if I do in the rotation, he's 5th starter).

That let's me go the back up catcher (Susac), utility infielder (Niko Goodrum), 4th OF (Josh Hart), PH bat (in fact I have two, one that kills lefties, is better with runners on base and another I use in "general" PH situations who's just a good bat, meh defense, and no "special" but no bad areas), and Eric Young, Jr....no idea what you call him but he plays 2B/OF in my carryover. I guess go to PR and plug in guy.

EY's slot is up in the air. But he's holding it down for the moment and nice to let the vet keep playing in the majors.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24
I agree. Stolen bases are glitched this year - perhaps will be fixed in the patch - but I normally keep a guy who can steal a base on the bench. I look for guys who might not have a great overall and thus available in a trade but hit hard vs either rhp or lhp and then platoon them. The most important is hitters who do well against rhp since about 70% of MLB at bats are vs rhp. I also try to give my bench guys at least one start per week.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »