Home

Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Update 1.09 Available Now, Here Are the Details

This is a discussion on Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Update 1.09 Available Now, Here Are the Details within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
MVP

Thrash13's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour Update 1.09 Available Now, Here Are the Details

I didn't think about the EA Access inclusion, so you're probably right about the content coming to an end. That being said, I visited the EA Forums just now and realized why I don't go there very often. Those people spew hateful thoughts regardless of what updates we get. We could get a 5-pack of new courses, and they'd want 6. Haha. I'm glad the OS community is a little more civilized!
Old 05-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
No replay mode. What a bummer.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #11
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Yeah, those forums can be brutal. I do enjoy the unintentional comedy of it all!

As for the updates or future updates, I look at it this way:

I got RMPGAT for $13 during a sale at Amazon. I'm three seasons into my career mode, and I'm still enjoying it. The graphics are good and the game play is good. Customization is lacking, and the career mode is pretty bare bones. But there is now a better selection of courses and rotating majors. The game has improved with each update.

Overall, RMPGAT may be the best video game value I've ever gotten.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #12
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Wouldn't be overly surprised if they released a course pack of 4 or 5 courses for $10-$15. Maybe it's wishful thinking more than anything but this was always supposed to be a two year plus release so now that it's on EA Access, maybe EA believes people will be OK spending some money on courses since they got the game for free.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash13
Oh, okay. I don't visit the official EA Forums much. Either way, it's a nice surprise for sure!

Maybe they'll release one more to bring the total number of courses to 20. The current list is pretty darn good now, but it'd be cool if they released one more big one. Maybe Firestone (WGC Event), Bethpage Black (1st Playoff Event), or Hazeltine (Ryder Cup). I'll be happy with what we have, but something about the number 20 just makes it sound better. Haha
I would pay some $$$ for a pack with Pebble Beach and those courses.

But honestly, more than courses, I'm really wishing we had Country Clubs, Play the Pros online tourneys, online tourneys with Hard swing difficulty, current weather and replays more than more courses.

But in the big picture, the game looks and plays great enough that I'm enjoying playing it through a new season. I don't even regret my day one $54 (with EA Access) purchase.

It's a far better game than it gets credit for, although it does deserve a lot of the criticism it gets. The game deserves a more full featured sequel. I hope we get it.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #14
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

The way this update had been discussed in the last two months on the Rory McIlroy official forum by Justin Patel, I expected a quite a bit more out of it. There were strong hints that we'd at least see an alt-shot and/or best-ball online turn-based match play option(s)... nada. Career mode players were thrown crumbs that something more substantial than rotating between two courses for Majors was coming.

I got the impression that there might be some spicing up of the Live Multiplayer tournaments with this update, with at least live, hole-by-hole scoring updates... nada.

I really want to like this game. It's got great graphics and a dynamic atmosphere. The gameplay can be challenging if you go with custom settings, but even though it's challenging, I still find it a bit twitch dependent. The swing requires tempo, but it's a twitchy tempo that feels too rooted in "flickiness", for my tastes. I didn't realize just how much this was affecting my experience with RM until I got to experience the more realistically scaled and modeled thumbstick swing of Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf... I can feel the flow of that swing with a much more proportional sense of control than RM's.

My other main gripe about the game is that in all difficulty levels, they still have a reliance on what I call the "dial-a-distance" putting method. Set the aiming cursor to the desired direction and distance, and the putting stroke will pretty much scale itself to that spot so that less impetus is placed upon the golfer to modulate the putter to attain the desired putt power. Again, JNPG's putting stroke puts all the burden of modulating the putt stroke on the player, and it's a much more fulfilling and gratifying experience, IMO.

My two biggest hopes - as unrealistic as I thought they were - for this update weren't addressed. I wanted an option to turn off the dad-blasted tempo bubble that to this day continues to annoy the heck out of me and is an unwelcome intrusion into the game environment. I'm not disciplined enough to watch my golfer's swing and not see this flashing light show with the bottom of my eyes. I want to watch my golfer without any distractions, yet EA Sports thinks we've just got to have the visual aid in all difficulty settings.... I just don't freakin' get it!?

Finally, I was hoping they'd do something with the Pro view camera option to slightly zoom in on, or highlight the ball a little better so you could follow it from the Pro view option. They did a wonderful job with this in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11,12, and 13's TrueAim camera option in the previous gen, why not this next-gen version.

Banff Springs is a nice looking course and they did a good job in bringing it to life. I just wish EA Sports would realize how close they are to having a much more satisfying game experience and code in some options to allow gamers to configure the game to get more out of it.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #15
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
I would pay some $$$ for a pack with Pebble Beach and those courses.

But honestly, more than courses, I'm really wishing we had Country Clubs, Play the Pros online tourneys, online tourneys with Hard swing difficulty, current weather and replays more than more courses.

But in the big picture, the game looks and plays great enough that I'm enjoying playing it through a new season. I don't even regret my day one $54 (with EA Access) purchase.

It's a far better game than it gets credit for, although it does deserve a lot of the criticism it gets. The game deserves a more full featured sequel. I hope we get it.
The cost to secure these course licenses are really steep - some more than others. Unless you're selling a LOT of units, it makes it impossible to recoup the cost.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #16
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
The cost to secure these course licenses are really steep - some more than others. Unless you're selling a LOT of units, it makes it impossible to recoup the cost.
How many units do I have to buy to get Augusta and Pebble Beach?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »