Home

MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

This is a discussion on MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: MLB, Just Like The Show, Concerned About Time It Takes to Finish A Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryClay1844
After switching to watching soccer where the commercials come only at the half (and of course on the kits) I can't watch any other sport on TV. Can watch Hockey on the the net without the ads, but will never watch a baseball game again. It's the interruptions more than the length of the game. Being able to save a MLB the show game during season mode was cool, but the game is too long for someone with a passing interest.
You go through whole half innings without commercials unless you have an injury or change in the pitcher, though? Do you want to go 4.5 innings before commercials, then 4.5 more?

― Plato
Old 05-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #10
Dead Solid Perfect

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

MLB wants it's cake, and to eat it too.
On the one hand, they like to tout that, unlike basketball & football, there is no clock.
Then in the next breath, they complain the clock is too long.
Something tells me TV is driving the push to reduce game lengths, when truth be told, baseball just isn't as much of a TV sport as basketball & football. The sooner MLB faces that fact, the better off they'll be.

Syracuse #44
Old 05-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #11
All Star

Baseball is just a long game that is just how the sport is. Out of the 4 major sports baseball and NFL are both about 3 hours to watch on TV and about 30 minutes longer then NBA and NHL. Really the only thing that could make the game faster and it would only be a few minutes would be if teams didn't use left pitchers to face left hitter and then take pitcher out after just 1 batter type of thing. So really there is no way to make the game faster. Also baseball doesn't have a clock like the other sports and with any sport take away breaks and the game would be a lot faster. When I record a NBA game and can skip half time and breaks a 2.5 hour game is about a hour and 50 minutes and about the same for hockey. NFL goes from about 3 to about 2 hours and 15 when I can skip stuff and MLB goes from about 3 to about 2 hours and 30 minutes or so.

Last edited by Smallville102001; 05-17-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
Baseball is just a long game that is just how the sport is. Out of the 4 major sports baseball and NFL are both about 3 hours to watch on TV and about 30 minutes longer then NBA and NHL. Really the only thing that could make the game faster and it would only be a few minutes would be if teams didn't use left pitchers to face left hitter and then take pitcher out after just 1 batter type of thing. So really there is no way to make the game faster. Also baseball doesn't have a clock like the other sports and with any sport take away breaks and the game would be a lot faster. When I record a NBA game and can skip half time and breaks a 2.5 hour game is about a hour and 50 minutes and about the same for hockey. NFL goes from about 3 to about 2 hours and 15 when I can skip stuff and MLB goes from about 3 to about 2 hours and 30 minutes or so.
Except they added a pitch clock to the minors last year. That could make the game go faster.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #13
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Except they added a pitch clock to the minors last year. That could make the game go faster.

How long is the pitch clock? and really most the time it doesn't take a pitcher that long to make a pitch any way.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
How long is the pitch clock? and really most the time it doesn't take a pitcher that long to make a pitch any way.
20 seconds.

Edit: Triple-A and Double-A leagues, the highest levels of the minors, used 20-second pitch clocks and started penalizing violators with balls and strikes. At Triple-A, the International League average dropped 16 minutes to 2:40 and the Pacific Coast League fell 13 minutes to 2:45.

Last edited by redsox4evur; 05-17-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #15
Dead Solid Perfect

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Pitch clocks have been instituted in the minor leagues with great results at shortening the game.

Another change the MLB may look at include limiting the amount of mound visits which can be made during the course of a game.

The latter two proposals both could have big impacts on how you play The Show in the future.
What do you think?
I think mound visits IRL & Pitch Clocks in the minors will have as much an impact on the Show
as real life rainouts, rosin bags, television commercials & filling out lineup cards wrong IRL impact the Show.

Syracuse #44
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #16
Rookie

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned what has made the games become so much longer to begin with: MONEY. There is just SO much money involved, that we now have bullpen pitchers who pitch to one batter and are out, because each game is generating such a large amount of dollars. Likewise, starters are taken out of games because teams have to protect their investments. Back when big league players were making "normal" salaries, the teams would work them like horses. Now every possible precaution is taken. It would be nice to say that teams "care" more about the players now, but it's all just about the money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »