Home

Undrafted Free Agents Change the Game, But Not As Much in Madden

This is a discussion on Undrafted Free Agents Change the Game, But Not As Much in Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
I will tell you what I think Madden needs to do: they need to implement a hidden personality trait for every individual player in Madden that impacts ratings, and never have this trait scoutable, revealed, etc. It can be "this player drops the ball in clutch situations" or "in the 4th QTR this quarterback's deep ball accuracy rises to 95." Something written in the code of the game itself. This will give more of a sense of individuality to each player, and us as players won't know what these traits are but we'll be able to see it on the field. This will, in effect, cause players to under or over perform on their ratings. What do you guys think?
Old 05-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
Pro

Ampking101's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Undrafted Free Agents Change the Game, But Not As Much in Madden

I think the only player that ever became a true starter for me was in Madden 25 on Xbox 360 he was a safety that had low awareness and low play recognition but had high catching (like 80) and mid to low 70's for coverage and tackling skills. Once I pumped up his awareness and his play recognition he became like a 78 overall and had an okay career (I have no idea how he fell into the UDFA pool but it was a multiple user league so that might have played a big part).

I think the biggest problems are two big details, like mentioned earlier, there just aren't enough players that come out undrafted. Heck a lot of the young players that have been free agents for a year will disappear the next year so half the time there isn't even a very large free agent pool as a whole. I know this used to be tied to memory issues but with current generation systems, it shouldn't be as big of an issue anymore.

Secondly I think it is mostly due to the way ratings have been programed and that they are also locked ratings that never really significantly change for better or worse, except through user interaction with Xp. So if I get an undrafted free agent who is a 65 overall and doesn't have the skills to play that position (the case with most UDFA's), he is never going to be beneficial enough to waste a roster spot for...and I know all of this for a fact before I even sign him. Now add to the fact that the only way he will ever get any better is if I start him, user him enough to have a good season, and then put all my weekly points into getting him Xp to excell him or he will stagnate into oblivion. It is the same reason that even if I draft a superstar player, I have to start him right away because otherwise he will never progress and therefore becomes a waste. In the system Madden has, having players learn under a veteran, no matter how good, literally has zero merit.

So with both of those things directly tied to undrafted free agents, it just doesn't allow any room for these players to improve or surprise you, they will almost always (99% of the time) be bottom of the roster fodder to be replaced in the next draft.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15
I agree with Celebrated...wanted something "similar: to this for a while.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

I definitely think the draft pool should be larger, but I'm not sure the UDFA criticism is a fair one. Considering there are so few UDFAs in the pool, it'd make sense that very few would be superstars. If 2/200 in the real NFL become all pros, then in terms of ratio we're looking at like 1 every 2.5 years in Madden.

Increasing the draft pool is a must

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #13
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

........As a former GM puts it, "The John Randle time" is a crucial time for franchises to choose paths which may alter a team's course for years:

So what about you? Do you have any stories of picking up undrafted free agents who turned out to be superstars? What do you think Madden could do to represent 'John Randle Time' better for franchises?
I will continue to harp on the need or at least benefit of not displaying accurate numeric ratings and this question is another example of why. Imo, team/staff/system specific text descriptions, like Deuce Douglas recently posted a real life screenshot of in another thread, as well as traits/DPP for skill sets and actual data for measurables, would be best. The point being, the video game TMI of virtual players, has to be somehow removed or greatly diminished, before there can be "Randle time".

John Randle or any other undrafted gem or gem period were always capable of what they achieved in real life, they just needed to be given the opportunity and environment to potentially manifest it. In Madden currently, unlike in real life, all of Randles underlying capability would be known/accessible from the get go, so not only would it be unlikely he would even go undrafted but if he somehow did, his production wouldn't be at all unexpected.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I will continue to harp on the need or at least benefit of not displaying accurate numeric ratings and this question is another example of why. Imo, team/staff/system specific text descriptions, like Deuce Douglas recently posted a real life screenshot of in another thread, as well as traits/DPP for skill sets and actual data for measurables, would be best. The point being, the video game TMI of virtual players, has to be somehow removed or greatly diminished, before there can be "Randle time".

John Randle or any other undrafted gem or gem period were always capable of what they achieved in real life, they just needed to be given the opportunity and environment to potentially manifest it. In Madden currently, unlike in real life, all of Randles underlying capability would be known/accessible from the get go, so not only would it be unlikely he would even go undrafted but if he somehow did, his production wouldn't be at all unexpected.
So... you're proposing no ratings? At least nothing visible that us as players can see? Like, the ratings would be there (they HAVE to be, because that's what drives gameplay) but hidden from us. So if we have a quarterback that sucks, only way we'd find that out is if we play him and discover for ourselves that he sucks?

I think I kinda like that.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
This is where the "But Not As Much in Madden" comes from, specifically the bold. And really it should be "But Not At All in Madden." A Madden draft class is only around 295 players, take away the 224 picks made and that leaves you with 71 guys. 71! That's a little over two per team versus 25. That paired with the fact that there is no minicamps/OTA's properly represented in the game to even get a clue on any of those players and it's not even a factor in Madden. Rosters being limited to 75 guys as well as improperly implemented cut days also hinders any chances of those players being a factor.

I can't remember which Madden it was (I think 12) that had the hidden rookie ratings throughout preseason but that was one of my favorite experiences. I remember one year I had drafted a corner in the 5th or 6th round and didn't know much about him but I also had another one that was an UDFA and it was basically a battle between which would make the bottom of my roster and CB depth chart but the UDFA had two pick sixes in back-to-back games and that ended up being the sole reason I kept him on. After the fact I checked ratings and found out the guy I kept was actually significantly worse ratings wise than the guy I drafted but he didn't do anything in preseason and essentially got beat out.

I really hope that they've attacked the personnel side of things this year in franchise because that's IMO what keeps the game feeling fresh and exciting for an extended period of time. Gameplay obviously matters but in terms of longevity it's going to be franchise that keeps me coming back and wanting to play.
Yes Deuce, it was M12
The only issue with that feature was that most scrubs were too scrubby in their physical attributes and that took much of the challenge away from the feature. I remember most of the generated UFA skill players had speed/acc in the 50's or 60's making it too easy for the user to recognize their lower overall.

If they managed to bring this feature back with UFA's that had competitive physical traits and unknown "football attributes" then it would really bring some awesome camp battles and give some importance to the pre-season along the way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #16
Rookie

sir psycho's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebrated
So... you're proposing no ratings? At least nothing visible that us as players can see? Like, the ratings would be there (they HAVE to be, because that's what drives gameplay) but hidden from us. So if we have a quarterback that sucks, only way we'd find that out is if we play him and discover for ourselves that he sucks?

I think I kinda like that.
It would be a great idea. The bolded is just like real life. Sometimes it takes a team years of starting a QB they took in the first round before realizing that they aren't good enough. In Madden, when you draft that QB, you can instantly see that he isn't good enough and can just draft another one.

Hiding ratings would make building and managing a team so much more realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »