Home

Madden NFL 17 Special Teams, Pass Defense, Catch Outcomes, Ball Physics & Much More

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Special Teams, Pass Defense, Catch Outcomes, Ball Physics & Much More within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Madden NFL 17 Special Teams, Pass Defense, Catch Outcomes, Ball Physics & Much More

Check out the latest Madden NFL 17 blog covering updates within special teams, pass defense, catch outcomes, ball physics and much more. Read it and post your thoughts!

Quote:
First off, we received many complaints that all players were capable of making spectacular catches. We got it loud and clear that you were getting tired of seeing all the one-handers by a litany of different players with vastly different catching abilities. We now restrict those extremely athletic, high degree of difficulty catches to the more elite ball in air receivers only. OBJ, Julio, A.B., Hopkins and Dez are the type of players who will have the ability to do those spectacular catches consistently, while a Running Back or Slot receiver will trigger a catch that is more reflective of his catching ability.

The lack of control options on defense to effectively defend the aggressive catch became a major point of contention throughout the year. We spent a lot of time discussing this specific issue with the community and decided that the right way to attack the problem was not to nerf the aggressive catch, but rather build an effective counter mechanic on defense. Thus, the new SWAT mechanic was born for Madden NFL 17. Defenders now have 3 options when the ball is in the air. Play Ball, Play Receiver or Swat. If you are willing to give up the chance for an interception in order to stop the shot play, the swat mechanic is for you. It has been custom designed as the counter to the aggressive catch on defense.

A huge legacy flaw in the Madden catch system is once a player has ‘matched a catch’ the ball will stay in the receiver’s hands regardless. With ball physics, if a defender collides with the ball during the catch animation, the ball has a chance to be organically knocked out. This also applies to hands and limbs. If they get an arm between the ball and the receiver, the WR will no longer be able to pull the ball through the defender. This is quite a game changer for catches in traffic, and strategic use of the possession catch is critical.

Fumble recoveries in Madden have been one of the many long standing legacy issues that desperately needed attention. We knew by introducing ball physics and organic behaviors, we would need to completely revisit our loose ball and tip ball recovery logic. This includes a set of new animations for loose ball recoveries that cover both in air and on ground scenarios. Players are smarter, react to loose balls faster and have tons of new animations dedicated to loose ball recoveries.

Throw out of sack is how Madden has previously handled situations where a defender triggered a sack animation on a QB who already started his throwing motion. In these cases, the ball would often appear to simply fall out of his hand as the sack animation triggered. With ball physics, we now have organic outcomes in these situations. They can result in fumbles and strip sacks. If the QB’s arm is going forward when he is hit, you are also going to see that outcome play out organically. This all plays a big role in fumble vs. incomplete pass. It is now more important than ever to get the ball out quickly under pressure.
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: New blogs on Zones and Special team, catch outcome and ball physics

I haven't read the blogs yet. Just looked at the new kicking meter and I hope it makes kicking field goals and punting a lot harder.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 17 Gameplay Improvements, Special Teams, Catch Outcomes & Ball Physics

I'm not gunna lie, since this is ea I'm afraid trick plays and kick blockers are gunna be OP at launch.

I hope I'm wrong.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Re: Madden NFL 17 Gameplay Improvements, Special Teams, Catch Outcomes & Ball Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Cee
I'm not gunna lie, since this is ea I'm afraid trick plays and kick blockers are gunna be OP at launch.

I hope I'm wrong.
I had some hilarious fails on trick plays at the community event. Can't call it for release but you are still mostly dealing with lower-rated players doing these plays.

There are plenty of counters to blocked kicks but the tuning will need to be very carefully done so as to not over or underpower them.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: New blogs on Zones and Special team, catch outcome and ball physics

Some quick thoughts on special teams-

1. The 3 click kick meter isn't new, it has been reinstated after being taken out of Madden a few years ago

2. Isn't the main special teams issu kick/punt return coverage? I haven't played the latest Madden but I know that seems to be the main special teams complaint that usually pops up with the game for a number of years running.

Last edited by Yanks1408; 05-26-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Speed flex helmet is in.

The zone blog is a lot to take in, similar to the gap play one. Would have been nice to see some shots of how the zones play differently in-game but that time will come eventually.

As for the special teams stuff, a new meter has been long overdue, now it's just a matter of figuring out how difficult it really is. Not a fan of how they did the block kicks but need to know more. Just from the screenshots it seems like the blocks will only come from guys off the edge rather than players in the middle. The NFL also changed the rule on how many guys can line up on either side of the center to no more than six and in the Cardinals screenshot, they have seven.

I don't have too much of a problem with the catch outcome part but I don't like how they went about it. There were far too many one handed catches regardless of who was doing them in 16 and it doesn't really say anything about them being toned down, just that it will be the superstars doing them.

Definitely just waiting on gameplay and the CFM blog at this point.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #7
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Speed flex helmet is in.

The zone blog is a lot to take in, similar to the gap play one. Would have been nice to see some shots of how the zones play differently in-game but that time will come eventually.

As for the special teams stuff, a new meter has been long overdue, now it's just a matter of figuring out how difficult it really is. Not a fan of how they did the block kicks but need to know more. Just from the screenshots it seems like the blocks will only come from guys off the edge rather than players in the middle. The NFL also changed the rule on how many guys can line up on either side of the center to no more than six and in the Cardinals screenshot, they have seven.

I don't have too much of a problem with the catch outcome part but I don't like how they went about it. There were far too many one handed catches regardless of who was doing them in 16 and it doesn't really say anything about them being toned down, just that it will be the superstars doing them.

Definitely just waiting on gameplay and the CFM blog at this point.
That rule is specifically related to players on the line of scrimmage. Cards have 6 on the line. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rotect-linemen

Currently the designated B players are the only ones who can block kicks but it seems like a pretty extendable system over time.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #8
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
That rule is specifically related to players on the line of scrimmage. Cards have 6 on the line. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rotect-linemen
Good call. The article I read failed to mention the line of scrimmage part.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »