Home

Madden NFL 17 Gameplay Improvements on Zone Coverage

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Gameplay Improvements on Zone Coverage within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Madden NFL 17 Gameplay Improvements on Zone Coverage

For me my favourite addition is the ability to swat. It drives me nuts when I lose out on a deep ball that could have easily been swatted away.

Better kicking game is so welcome been needed for 5+ years!

Nice to see Purple zones back as it was an area of the field most abused

Strip Sack is also a nice welcome
Old 05-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #10
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Love this stuff. I can finally run a real Tampa 2 with out having to hot route the middle linebacker and the CB's will play correctly. If all this works as advertised goodness! Cheesers beware.
I agree. I love the fact that true football mechanics are making their way into the game. People will have their complaints but this is stuff we've been begging for and wasted who knows how much time trying to use sliders to fix. Haven't played Madden 16 since the beginning of the football season because I could barely replicate anything from Dan Quinn's D in the game. This goes a long way to that true immersion for football junkies.

I'm all aboard the hype train for 17. Yeah the players still run funny but at least they should run in the right direction. Yeah this will not be PERFECT, what is, but they are trying. So kudos to the team, keep it up.

Last edited by wordtobigbird; 05-26-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:46 PM   #11
Pro

GoJags904's Arena

OVR: 0

Day 1 buy chance at 85%. If CFM is at least playable for multiple seasons after a SB win, im sold.

Better offseason please
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2016, 12:51 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 6

I loved that they have reworked zone from the ground up. The problem last year was the fact we couldn't find the right defense to stop the money plays. Every Cover 3 played the same and every Cover 2 played the same. If they had routes that could beat both you were screwed unless you could user players into the right position. They have so many variations of Cover 2, my cheesing opponents won't know what hit them. More tools to stop money plays is golden.

Ok let's talk about the corners in the Cover 2. They gave us the ability to stop pretty much any routes you can throw at it.
Your opponent is killing you with four verts: Run a cover 2 with corners in Cloud Flat coverage and they will carry the WRs deep
Your opponent is killing you in the flats: Run a cover 2 with covers in a Hard Flat and your corners will sit hard on the short passes, RB flares and crossing routes
Your opponent is killing you with corner routes with the slot or TE: Run a cover 2 with corners in a Soft Squad and watch him bait the QB to throw the ball to the corner and pick it off. Let the chess match begin.

I also paid attention to who they identified as force and cut back defenders. And they were correct for the cover that was called.

I really hope they let us manually disguise our coverages. Would love to fake out my opponent by giving them a cover 3 look before the snap and then rolling into cover 2 before the snap. Defense will be fun again. Can't wait.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:07 AM   #13
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

People who don't follow the development of Madden at all and just buy the game at launch and head right to play online are going to be in a state of abject shock.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:08 AM   #14
Rookie

Wow! Like wow. Madden has never made me say wow like this. Wow
Old 05-27-2016, 01:10 AM   #15
Pro

Trick13's Arena

All of this sounds awesome. Clearly a massive update over anything they have ever attempted. And I am geeking out a bit...

...but I do have some concerns rolling through my over worried mind.

Number 1 - will they have this tuned (and players properly rated) so that you can tell/feel/see the difference between two players with similar OVR ratings and yet a disparity in their zone coverage ratings???

Will PRC finally impact the game in a more sophisticated way? Will having a choice between a fast young OLB and a savvy veteran who lost a step but has higher PRC and ZCV ratings finally be a decision that makes you consider playing the better technician???

These things could be implemented exactly as intended nd still be a disastrous disappointment for some of us SIM leaning peeps if proper weight is not attributed to certain aspects of said implementation...

...fingers crossed
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2016, 01:11 AM   #16
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
I agree. I love the fact that true football mechanics are making their way into the game. People will have their complaints but this is stuff we've been begging for and wasted who knows how much time trying to use sliders to fix. Haven't played Madden 16 since the beginning of the football season because I could barely replicate anything from Dan Quinn's D in the game. This goes a long way to that true immersion for football junkies.

I'm all aboard the hype train for 17. Yeah the players still run funny but at least they should run in the right direction. Yeah this will not be PERFECT, what is, but they are trying. So kudos to the team, keep it up.
I've been trying to replicate that Dan Quinn/Pete Carroll single high scheme for a few years now. This one talked a lot about the variations of cover 2. I hope there's more info on the different types of Cover 3 to come. I'm really looking for that Buzz Mable concept used to defend trips.

Good stuff so far, though. It's huge that the vertical seams are finally going to be matched.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »