Home

Madden NFL 17 Improvements to Man/Zone Coverages, Stopping Scrambling QB's & More

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Improvements to Man/Zone Coverages, Stopping Scrambling QB's & More within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden NFL 17 Improvements to Man/Zone Coverages, Stopping Scrambling QB's & More

EA Sports continues pushing out Madden NFL 17 information. Today they have posted a blog detailing gameplay improvements to man coverage, revamped zone coverage system, stopping the QB scramble more effectively and much more. They have also made improvements to online play that should result in users encountering less lag and also prevent players from attempting to boot opponents out of game sessions and forcing a loss.

Quote:
Man coverage is on the top of my list as biggest gameplay improvements. In Madden NFL 16, man press made defensive backs stick to receivers effortlessly. It forced guys to resort to motion routes, and the same type of routes, to beat it. This year, an enhanced Win/Loss system has been created to ensure that any route with a cut has the potential to get open against this coverage. Man press is a two part battle and it all starts with the chuck. Using a slant as an example, when the receiver wins, he’ll successfully fight off the corner to gain inside leverage. Just like previous years, this part of the interaction is dictated by “Press” and “Release” ratings. The second portion of this change is the cut move. In the case of a slant, if the receiver wins here, he’ll get enough separation when he cuts toward the middle of the field for the quarterback to complete the throw. How often the receiver wins the cut is still based off of “Route Running” ability versus the corner’s “Man Coverage.” Keep in mind that a receiver who loses the chuck can still win on the cut, and vice versa. Also, just as you can use any route with a cut to beat man now, routes that seemed to get open more often before can easily get locked down. This places an emphasis on a player’s ability to quickly recognize if there’s enough space following the cut to zip the pass to their guy. The new man coverage system overall results in it being more balanced and true to ratings in Madden NFL 17.
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Pro

smiley3's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Madden NFL 17 Additional Gameplay Improvements: Competitive Focus

IMO turbo blitzes will never be gone, players will find a way to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #3
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

Sounds good seems as if ratings really gonna matter, i just wish PRC mattered offensively when it comes to rb and lineman seeing blitzes. Receivers seeing zone or man and setting in soft area of zones

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I smiled with better press man logic, either DB wins or WR wins, that way, we all win.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

Was a good read. I like that ratings will seem to matter more now. Also am really liking the primary and secondary color cleats.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #6
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Yeah I agree with Hova and Road, some good stuff in there and as a former competitive Madden gamer for money myself, those are welcome additions to help add true football strategy vs User exploits. It read as if, like real life, there is inherent risk/reward to man defense, especially with lower rated players, which could make for some challenging games, due to personnel.

Don't want to read too much into it but it seems like leaving a DB with bad man rating but high speed, on a better but slower receiver, could result in enough separation where the User can't just speed burst back into position to compensate. If so, that's the Jerry Rice type replication many have discussed wanting to see for some time.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 05-27-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

If we had "true step". For all 22 players on the field and the blocking were more momentum, strength and weight based i wouldnt be worried about any of these improvements. However since theres still alot of warping that goes on and the list of blocking improvements didnt go into detail im worried until I see it in action.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 0

Sounds like the offensive line pass blocking and pass rushing didn't get a major overhaul just more logic tuning, bummer.

Last edited by SportsGamer94; 05-27-2016 at 04:29 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »