Home

NHL 17 Gameplay Trailer

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Gameplay Trailer within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2016, 02:00 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 33
That could easily have been a trailer from NHL 15 so far as I could tell. I'd rather see a trailer of the Menu screens in NHL 16 to see if they're actually responsive this year!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #18
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 17 Gameplay Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBlue
There is so much fundamentally wrong with this game and the majority of this site is concerned with group celebrations and roster sharing.

To each their own because those things would be great, but this video game hasn't played like hockey in a long time and if they don't address some of this series' most fatal flaws on the ice then there might not be a hockey game for much longer. The people I know that are diehard hockey fans and players no longer wish to buy this game and the AI has been so awful that I can't fathom trying to play it alone.
If you think the majority of this site is only concerned with roster sharing and 5 man celebrations than you have not been paying attention. Gameplay is and always will be a priority for most around here. The roster sharing is big because it does have an effect on the gameplay. Guys who do painstaking work on things like the "Revamped Rosters" create better player separation and realistic ratings that in turn make the game play better. Not sure if you have ever had the pleasure of using the revamped rosters but if you did you would know what I mean.

The celebration thing is being talked about because, as another poster mentioned, it's in response to the trailer. EA touted all new celebrations and if what we saw is it, all they did was put a new color lipstick on it. Not only is a three man celebration lame it's even worse watching the other two teammates skate away as if nothing just happened is unacceptable.

We all know gameplay comes first but the celebration thing detracts from the NHL experience. No roster sharing, lame celebrations, and the same goalie masks since 2010 with outdated gear seems lazy and unacceptable.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #19
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
I'd like to know what the struggle behind putting a 5-man hug celebration into the game is. It really doesn't seem that hard.

Personally, I can't stand the celebrations in the game. Every one of them. It's just not realistic. 99.9999999% of the time after a goal in hockey you see the players jump up and skate together for a 5-man hug. Then they go fist bump the guys on the bench. Every single time. I'd prefer having just one animation of a 5-man hug celebration over 500 of these over-the-top soccer-like celebrations.

Besides that, the trailer was decent for a sizzle trailer. I didn't really like that desperation save by the goalie where he throws his body in a backwards 180 to make the save. I did like the tie ups and net battles though. Anything with physicality besides big hits I will welcome with open arms.

Until there's confirmation that 3 man celebrations are in, don't be fooled. In NHL 15/16 they were clever in some of their screens to make it seem like more than 2 player celebrations were in, but clearly that wasn't the case. They would capture some screens when everyone was going in for the hug right at the moment 2 people would celebrate, then capture that picture right before the other 3 would magically skate away. Rammer also mentioned for 16 we would get 3 man celebrations and that Ray Ferraro would possibly come in and record updated commentary for the new game. We know how that turned out.

Lastly, Rammer mentioned I think last year that the reasoning behind not having 5 man celebrations was due to size issues with some of the players. Someone really tall celebrating with players really small caused issues and then it would create more issues with created players. Lame I know because FIFA 14 or Fifa 15 had these issues, then they found a way to take care of it, whether it was a cut scene or real time. Regardless, they fixed it. EA mentioned how they share the tech across the ignite engine, so I don't get WHY this isn't in. There's that cutscene of McDavid going over to the bench and celebrating but idk if that is for when you score a hattrick. I would take that even over the 2 or 3 players simply skating away nonsense we have now.

Last edited by csamuelsvt; 06-23-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 15

they computer AI better clog up the neutral zone.
also there better be more stoppages in play

I don't wanna play 12 minutes straight run and gun with no whistles.
could care less about group hugs
Old 06-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
There is so much fundamentally wrong with this game and the majority of this site is concerned with group celebrations and roster sharing.

To each their own because those things would be great, but this video game hasn't played like hockey in a long time and if they don't address some of this series' most fatal flaws on the ice then there might not be a hockey game for much longer. The people I know that are diehard hockey fans and players no longer wish to buy this game and the AI has been so awful that I can't fathom trying to play it alone.
100% with you BlacknBlue. I couldn't care less about the celebrations, even after I got all of my wishlist items. But nothing really matters until they actually put something worth playing on the ice. This franchise has become unplayable for me. Your second paragraph is spot on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

Saw a couple of new animations for goalies, tie ups, etc. Nothing groundbreaking, still at "wait and see" for actual gameplay.

Why are mascots a selling point in this game for 2 years in a row now? I don't understand that all. I'm sure some people like them in the game, but why a major part of the arena atmosphere? Are they going to be shown after every other stoppage, after every goal, and on the ice after a win again? That was annoying in 16...
Old 06-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #23
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboe235
Saw a couple of new animations for goalies, tie ups, etc. Nothing groundbreaking, still at "wait and see" for actual gameplay.

Why are mascots a selling point in this game for 2 years in a row now? I don't understand that all. I'm sure some people like them in the game, but why a major part of the arena atmosphere? Are they going to be shown after every other stoppage, after every goal, and on the ice after a win again? That was annoying in 16...
It's a good example of EA being out of touch with virtually all of their fans and constantly over hyping fluff vs substance. The amount of mascots shown in "gameplay" trailer for a game where mascots are not a new feature and are about 1% important to the overall product is surprising.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:05 AM   #24
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

I think it's more that they're the easiest to see from the usual "30 seconds of actual gameplay" trailers that EA drops.

AI and play development are hard enough to notice when watching someone else play, let alone in a "gameplay" trailer focused on the new Mascot physics.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »