Home

NBA Draft Winners and Losers...

This is a discussion on NBA Draft Winners and Losers... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NBA Draft Winners and Losers...

Want to be the champ? It all starts in the draft.

Last night, the 2016 NBA Draft was held in Brooklyn -- with the usual fanfare surrounding 60 new players entering the league. Some teams came out of draft night winners, and others didn't really advance an agenda towards championships. Let's look at some winners and losers with NBA 2K17 as our guide.

Winners

Oklahoma City Thunder -
They're my hometown team and I just want to get this out of the way now. The Oladipo for Ibaka trade was brilliant and to add Domantas Sabonis to the mix as well for frontcourt depth is just a cherry on top. The Thunder appeared to get a lot better yesterday. The starting five of Westbrook, Oladipo, Durant, Adams, and Kanter are going to be about as good as you can get in NBA 2K17.

Boston Celtics - When you enter the draft with as many picks as Boston had, its really hard to mess up draft night. The Celtics got Jaylen Brown with the third pick then followed that up with two potential future front-court players in Guerschon Yabusele (PF) and Ante Zizic (C). Demetrius Jackson and Ben Bentil are both potential future rotation players and they were gotten in the second round. There's some projects here, but this draft could yield true dividends for the Celtics in the future. They're more intriguing to play as if your goal is long-term building in MyTeam.

Philadelphia 76ers - I won't lie in the sense I oftentimes don't know what the heck Philly is up to in building their franchise. There have been starts and restarts and restarts of restarts. However, Ben Simmons is a potential star and a couple of athletic guys who can fill up the bucket in Timothe Luwawu-Caborrot and Furkan Korkmaz. In terms of NBA 2K17 -- you've got a lot of young pieces to build a championship contender around now long term.

The Losers

Brooklyn Nets -
The Nets hosted the draft and badly needed something good to happen. After mortgaging the franchises future on two over the hill players in Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce -- the Nets were rewarded by coming into draft night with a bad draft position but a desperate need to rebuild. Caris LeVert and Isaiah Whitehead may or may not be NBA rotation type of guys, but nothing moved the needle here. The Nets have a long way to go and don't offer much excitement except as a total rebuild in NBA 2K17.

Milwaukee Bucks - Thon Maker either is the biggest hidden gem in the history of the draft, which the Bucks stole -- or they just drafted a guy who may or may not be 19, who hasn't played anything beyond high school ball, and probably could've been acquired way down the line and probably with a favorable trade. In terms of NBA 2K17 -- its doubtful Maker is rated high at all and the Bucks overall trend seems to be sideways at best after the draft.

Dallas Mavericks - I live close enough to Dallas to see the agony DFW fans go through who aren't Rangers fans. Draft night is a reason for panic, and anytime news of roster moves hit you instantly fear the worst. The Mavs only picked A.J. Hammons from Purdue -- but the amount of 7' guys with no physcial athleticism who are successful in the NBA is very low. Really it feels like Dallas picked someone just to pick someone -- I've done that before in NBA 2K when I didn't need a pick and there was no trade which worked for me. But that was also a video game.

What do you think about draft night? How did your team do?
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
Rookie

steelersd26's Arena

OVR: 0
The Knicks did a great job with their 0 selections. Seriously though, at least we didn't trade away any future 1st round picks.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
MVP

michaelhawj's Arena

nice lineups for Thunder roster. can't wait to play as Thunder in NBA 2K17.. i am fan of Thunder
Old 06-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Rookie

Tressler23's Arena

Re: NBA Draft Winners and Losers...

I like what my nuggets added much need shooters to their core. Should be fun next year.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
Rookie

RoyalKrimpet's Arena

I do not understand how you can rate the Nets among the losers of the Draft. They came into the draft with just the 55th pick & ended up with Caris Levert who most scouts said would have gone in Lottery if he did not get injured & Isaiah Whitehead who dominated at the Combine.

They only have 5 players on the roster right now & the most cap space in the League after Thad Young trade. Let's wait & see what they do in Free Agency before we write them off.

Also in terms of 2K, I don't see how the Celtics are Winners based soley off quantity of picks. They also had 3 1st round picks in last year's draft & all of those guys are rated below 70. & that was considered to be a better draft class than this year's crop. So they are Winners because they drafted more bench warmers? C'mon man.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Celtics were the loser of the draft in my opinion. They're starting to become a more talented version of the Sixers with all these young players. They should have taken Dunn at 3 and dealt him, he was CLEARLY the best available player at that point.

Been saying it all week, some sort of deal in which Avery Bradley and Kris Dunn go to the Bulls, with Jimmy Butler coming back to the Celtics, would have been beneficial to both teams. Bulls would have needed to take some sort of undesirable contract as well most likely, but still a decent move to help them plug a couple of holes in the roster. Dunn has star written all over him.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
Celtics were the loser of the draft in my opinion. They're starting to become a more talented version of the Sixers with all these young players. They should have taken Dunn at 3 and dealt him, he was CLEARLY the best available player at that point.

Been saying it all week, some sort of deal in which Avery Bradley and Kris Dunn go to the Bulls, with Jimmy Butler coming back to the Celtics, would have been beneficial to both teams. Bulls would have needed to take some sort of undesirable contract as well most likely, but still a decent move to help them plug a couple of holes in the roster. Dunn has star written all over him.
I think the C's could have gone either way. Here's the reason why. Even with Jimmy Butler, they aren't beating the Cavs or coming close to the Finals this next year. Also, NEXT year they have the Nets 1st round pick. The Nets got even worse for next year which means the Celtics will have that 1st - 3rd overall pick again, and they can package a deal for a star the following year.

Also, in order to get Jimmy Butler it would have had to been more than a 1st rounder AND Avery Bradley. Chicago wasn't going to take that cause they could get more for him. And if we lose Bradley we're losing a vital defensive player as well.

I don't know. I think this was a good move for the C's considering they aren't contending this next year either.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #8
Rookie

twebb5896's Arena

Re: NBA Draft Winners and Losers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalKrimpet
I do not understand how you can rate the Nets among the losers of the Draft. They came into the draft with just the 55th pick & ended up with Caris Levert who most scouts said would have gone in Lottery if he did not get injured & Isaiah Whitehead who dominated at the Combine.

They only have 5 players on the roster right now & the most cap space in the League after Thad Young trade. Let's wait & see what they do in Free Agency before we write them off.

Also in terms of 2K, I don't see how the Celtics are Winners based soley off quantity of picks. They also had 3 1st round picks in last year's draft & all of those guys are rated below 70. & that was considered to be a better draft class than this year's crop. So they are Winners because they drafted more bench warmers? C'mon man.
R.J Hunter is the only one under 70, if you watched the playoffs Rozier and Hunter played big minutes when Avery Bradley went down. Don't get mad because we literally own the Nets future, I love the Nets so much thank you for 3 straight top five picks! You guys are so generous to tank for us! <3

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »