Home

NHL 17 - More Details on Gameplay, Franchise, EASHL & Much More (Game Informer)

This is a discussion on NHL 17 - More Details on Gameplay, Franchise, EASHL & Much More (Game Informer) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Game Informer - 68 Things We Know About NHL 17

It seems that not many are happy with the offline franchise mode and what it entails.
I'm actually excited for it. I don't know how it'll work out and if all the moving parts will fit.

But I'm glad they added some spice to the GM mode.
I hope that we can be fired and have to look for new work as well.
Would be even cooler if we had to start in another league like the ECHL, AHL or overseas before making your way back to the NHL.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:34 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by azy19
Thank god.

I don't get why so many people are upset over the new franchise stuff. It's atleast something to do instead of the very bare bones roster management.
Uh, the music has always been awful.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:37 AM   #11
Pro

They can add all the concession stand price changes they want if they give u better scouting. Scouting has always been garbage
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #12
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
I just think people would have rather seen things like improved scouting, trade logic, draft day, player growth, etc. I think a lot of people here (me included) are buying this game to simply play hockey, so we don't really care about concession prices too much.

I think the owner-type things they have added this year would have been a cool addition after they nailed down some of the basics like scouting a little more. Even still, they should give you an option to turn this stuff on "auto" so if you don't care about popcorn prices you don't have to worry about it.

For me, I'd take improved hockey-related items in Franchise Mode any day before I got the ability to change concession prices.
Exactly.. I want to play a sim like hockey experience where my AI players actually feel like they have a brain. I seriously hope you can have the AI control these concessions/ticket prices crap. I play every single game, spanning multiple seasons and I just want a better morale system and to be able to resign players during the season!

I've supported the "only" hockey game in town for many years and I'll get this one because I love hockey so much, but damn EA this is sounding more and more like fluff to mask the gameplay issues.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
Rookie

azy19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
I just think people would have rather seen things like improved scouting, trade logic, draft day, player growth, etc. I think a lot of people here (me included) are buying this game to simply play hockey, so we don't really care about concession prices too much.

I think the owner-type things they have added this year would have been a cool addition after they nailed down some of the basics like scouting a little more. Even still, they should give you an option to turn this stuff on "auto" so if you don't care about popcorn prices you don't have to worry about it.

For me, I'd take improved hockey-related items in Franchise Mode any day before I got the ability to change concession prices.
Yeah I'd definitely take improvements to scouting, trading and any other roster management or actual GM tasks over being able to change concession prices, but I'm not upset over it being added. It'll be pretty cool for a season or two and then it'd get boring(depending on how in-depth it is) but hopefully it won't be too hard to manage so it doesn't ruin the mode.

Last edited by azy19; 07-04-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

OVR: 5

Probably the best Pre release article to date some solid info for every type of mode.
Other than the fact they say tie ups is a new thing, im sure its just putting back in the rather crappy net battles that have already been in the game. Do they thinkwe cant remember that far back or what ? its this kinda thing that pisses people off EA just say what it is an old mode weve thrown back in just to say thay added something new.

Opening the sliders to us while its awesome for offline that realy isnt an addition is it, i mean nothing they had to work on.

SO when all is said and done what have they worked on all year? Man it really is a small team isnt it.
well i didnt sart this post to be negative lol it just took a turn as really im quite looking forward to tweaking the gameplay with these ill say opened sliders not new, i guess its like a used car new to us.
That might be enough to get me to play more than 3 offline games in 17.

Anyway great article thanks for posting it.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #15
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NHL 17 - More Details on Gameplay, Franchise, EASHL & Much More (Game Informer)

Some good stuff in there that I hadn't heard yet. Makes me feel at least some positivity towards this game this year. Haven't experienced a lot of that as of yet, but this article helps.

Nice to hear they think they've found a solution for the puck getting stuck to a player you've just laid out with a big hit only to see him pop back up with the puck because you can't get it. That's going to eliminate a lot of frustration for me.

A little bothered though by the fact I can't build my team a new arena without moving them. I should be able to build Detroit a new arena if I want to since I assume franchise mode wont have the new arena in the second season similar to how Madden has teams new stadiums in the second year of franchise mode. But really, why implement the arena creating option into franchise, but limit the player to when and where they can use it? If I choose to blow my team's cash unnecessarily on a new arena, I should be able to do that, then pay the consequences later. I just hate that we get a nice feature like that, but can only use it if we move our team to a new city. I don't want to make fake renovations to my aging arena to help boost my revenues. If my arena is that bad, let me build a new one without relocating. Clearly the ability is there to do it, why force me to move? Just don't get that design decision.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 11
I really really like what I read for Franchise mode, it looks like there will be more to do. I wish there was more done to roster management but I guess that will have to wait. I'd also like to manage the coaching staff, doesn't seem like it is in the cards though.

With that said here are a few things I really liked starting with Franchise, and then other odds and ends from there. I will try to keep it focused and on point so I don't lose anyone trying to read it.

Quote:
If you decide to be a heartless owner and relocate your team, the commentary team will be aware of the move and discuss the pending transition and subsequent fan reaction during the broadcasts.
This could be really interesting, I would probably find a lot of amusement in this, but I am kind of a special person who finds great pleasure in virtual agony.

Quote:
All of your decisions affect the overall team status. If you start making a profit and your owner is happy, he gives you more money to spend in your operating budget and on player salaries as well.
You can always spend to the salary cap, but the owner may not want you to. If you overspend past your budget outlines on contracts anyway, should you fail to meet the owner expectations, his judgment will be much tougher.
I like how profit and team performance appear to make a difference in how much money you get. It could make things very tough as a GM. It could very well change the way a team is budgeted for. And it is realistic too, you hear about how Ottawa doesn't spend all of it's cap space because (I think) of the value of the Canadian dollar, so this is cool and it could make keeping a great team on the ice even tougher.

Quote:
An organizational status hub page reports how your decisions have played out in terms of revenue, fan temperature, and ownership satisfaction.
I am curious how the fans react if they get super pissed off at your decisions. You can bet that I will be checking into this. Maybe I can ruin the Maple Leafs or something.

Quote:
In fact, EA has surfaced tuning sliders for most gameplay settings so players can tweak to their liking. The new sliders are the same ones the developers use to tune the game, ranging from 0 to 100. They now allow players to alter settings of everything from the speed of passes and how much players bobble passes to the frequency that specific penalties get called.
I don't think this can be talked about enough, it could revolutionize the way the game plays, for the better too. We'll see how it plays out. This could make the game so much more fun offline at the very least. And it could in the future make online leagues more customizable if EA ever decides to try a GM Connected type mode down the line.

Quote:
Everyone who played the past two NHL games has a story about landing a successful check that knocks the player to the ground, only to have the puck be shielded by the downed player, which allows the checkee to recover possession before the checker has a chance to win the puck. EA thinks it finally found a solution to this. When you hit a player away from the puck direction, the puck can come free now and keep going. That should cut down the number of times we see this frustrating circumstance occur.
Thank God!!! This is so annoying.

That is about it, the only negative I took out of this was that there was NOTHING about Be a Pro, that to me is disheartening for those who play that mode. I was hoping it would be more like the live the life mode that EA had going for it on the PS3 before the console shift, pissing people off with interview answers were the best thing to happen to that mode. It let you have a little personality, which was great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »