Home

Some Potential Damages in NBA 2K Tattoo Lawsuit Have Been Dismissed

This is a discussion on Some Potential Damages in NBA 2K Tattoo Lawsuit Have Been Dismissed within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #9
Pro

wallofhate's Arena

OVR: 8
Funny thing is that there isn't a tattoo artist out there that wouldn't tattoo a Disney,marvel or dc character. If one of those entities started going after the tattoo artists they'd be crying corporate hatred and complaints of big business bothering the "lil guy". I get it they "can" sue but I grow tired of silly lawsuits that coattail off of bigger cases that are actually significant. I watch a video about lawyers suing app makers because they own the patent to making apps not copying the same type of app but they own the idea of an app smh.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallofhate
Funny thing is that there isn't a tattoo artist out there that wouldn't tattoo a Disney,marvel or dc character. If one of those entities started going after the tattoo artists they'd be crying corporate hatred and complaints of big business bothering the "lil guy". I get it they "can" sue but I grow tired of silly lawsuits that coattail off of bigger cases that are actually significant. I watch a video about lawyers suing app makers because they own the patent to making apps not copying the same type of app but they own the idea of an app smh.
Wow! That's a good point. I wonder if I got Mickey Mouse tatted on my arm could Disney sue the tattoo artist. That's interesting...
Old 08-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Some Potential Damages in NBA 2K Tattoo Lawsuit Have Been Dismissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
Wow! That's a good point. I wonder if I got Mickey Mouse tatted on my arm could Disney sue the tattoo artist. That's interesting...
I'm sure that they could, but the costs of even filing the lawsuits, time put in on the case by the lawyers, tracking down whatever artist tattooed it, etc probably makes it not even close to worth it for a company like Disney.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallofhate
true but alot of legal tattoo parlors do not do "disney or other copyrighted or trademarked characters".. without having legal consent....wink wink!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

This whole issue is very annoying to me. It's like these tattoo artists own a part of theses athletes.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #14
McG
Rookie

McG's Arena

OVR: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The original artist of the tattoo is being directly harmed in this case; 2K Sports is making money off his art work without compensating him.

The courts have repeatedly decided that this is not the case.
Really? Who bought 2K for tattoos? It's cool that they are included, but I'd be willing to bet that less than 1% of the people that bought the game, did it because the players have tattoos. 2K isn't making money off the tattoo(s) featured on players, they are making money from the game that they produced. A game in which they have the purchased the rights to make. It's sad and extremely petty that these "tattoo artists" are looking for a hand out from 2K. That just goes to show you how great they are at their job.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #15
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7

Look, guys, I totally get the desire for visual authenticity. I get it.

But if minor visual details like tattoos are going to result in lawsuits like this, then it's not really worth putting them in the game, is it?

I'd much rather have an inkless game that plays awesome than a visually-perfect game that plays like Superman 64.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2016, 07:18 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball
Look, guys, I totally get the desire for visual authenticity. I get it.

But if minor visual details like tattoos are going to result in lawsuits like this, then it's not really worth putting them in the game, is it?

I'd much rather have an inkless game that plays awesome than a visually-perfect game that plays like Superman 64.

I think we all feel the same way as you just stating how stupid it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »