Home

Axis Football 2016 Review (PC)

This is a discussion on Axis Football 2016 Review (PC) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Axis Football 2016 Review (PC)

“We think Axis Football is a lot of fun, but it's certainly not up to current standard for sports simulations in terms of graphics and depth of features.” This is the statement on the future of Axis Football at the bottom on its Steam page. It’s an important admission and perspective to keep in mind as you read my analysis of the independently developed Axis Football 2016.

Read More - Axis Football 2016 Review (PC)
Platform: PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Did I do that???

mrCPUgeek's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Axis Football 2016 Review (PC)

I think this game have a lot of potential going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Gotta give credit to the people behind this game, they probably have less than 1% of the budget that Madden gets.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Axis football just need an actual team of full time people and more money. They made a football game with just one full time person and $7,000. Just imagine what they could do if they could afford mocap equipment and mocap actors.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19
the passing system and kicking system are pluses.
Im surprised that the other developer doesn't have this passing feature. it's long over due. the button passing is dated and boring.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I have to disagree with the score offered by this review, and I don't think it's remotely consistent with other reviews offered by this site.

I don't see how this game possibly earns a score on par with Casey Powell's Lacrosse, another indie sports video game offering which features better graphics, better and more fluid animations, more depth of gameplay on and off the field, better presentation, and really is just a better game all around. Powell Lacrosse offers online play; as far as I can tell, Axis Football 16 does not. Powell Lacrosse even shares many of the same customization options, though it's obviously limited by being on a console. I can look at the two games side-by-side and tell you easily that Powell Lacrosse is the one I'm more likely to honestly enjoy and feel like it's worth my money.

I get that Axis Football 16 is a budget title and it's the only option on PC for football gamers. I respect the monumental effort the lone developer undertook to get it this far. I understand the restrictions imposed by an extremely limited budget. As an independent game developer, I root for other indie devs to succeed, and I hope the game does find a supportive and enthusiastic following so that the developer can continue building upon it.

All that said: I personally don't see any substantial improvement on the field between this year's game and last year's game from a 10,000-foot level. I don't feel like the game as it exists today is worth the $20 budget price tag it asks for. It still looks and feels like a polished NFL GameDay 98, but in 2016. There are more complete football and sports experiences to be had for lower prices (and for free, even) both on PC and elsewhere. The developer even admits this, and that admission leads the review text. How is this consistent with the final score offered?

The one leg up this game has over its competition is modding; that's fantastic and I'm a big fan of customization. However, why should I spend my time customizing experience which fundamentally is not enjoyable?

Just my opinion, though; I'm obviously not the reviewer.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0pmI_9s7Q

Reminds me so much of a modern version of John Elways Quarterback. I've only play a couple games so far but it is fun if you treat it as an arcade football game and with tapered expectations. It is a modern version of an old school arcade style football game. That isn't a horrible thing, actually it is a bit refreshing and the old games are hard to play now because they are slow and look like garbage one HDTVs.

20 bucks is a bit much to ask but I wanted to support the dev. I hope enough people support the game to push it forward.

I love the audible system. You can audible to any play in the formation. Yeah there are only 8 plays but it is nice. Hopefully they will add audibles to defense.

I see a lot of people like kicking. I think it is a bit too tough and the trajectory needs improved. Maybe I'm just not sure to the accuracy meter yet.
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 08-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
All Star

OVR: 35

I bought it yesterday and only played 1 quick game. I'm thinking it more as an investment in next year's game which is looking to have a lot of the bells and whistles added. The base is there for a good game, now it's just a matter of time and money for it to bring it up to "current gen" standards.
My only concern is that for a game so reliant on mods for support, there don't seem to be many available outside of the NFL and NCAA rosters.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »