Home

Madden NFL 17 Review (Xbox One)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Review (Xbox One) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #17
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Madden NFL 17 Review (Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Might have missed it in the review but any noticeable improvements to penalties? My main issue has been with pass interference calls that are rarely called. I hate having a receiver run into a defender and being unable to make a play on the ball, because the defender essential become a barrier, and no flag being thrown.
I did everything in my power to stick with default sliders for the review. I made a note of it (but ran out of space in the review), but I only saw one or two pass interferences on default settings. I'm sure this has a lot to do with it giving online players fits.

FWIW, every slider that I did tinker with seemed to be pretty effective.

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10
Old 08-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #18
MVP

Joshua1207's Arena

OVR: 12

Great review. Game is sounding pretty promising, can't wait for it!
Old 08-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 0
If the game 'feels' like NCAA 14 does, this goes from a pass to a buy for me.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #20
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I'll leave specifics out as not to disturb the thread, but there are some glaring legacy issues glossed over or flat out ignored. Everyone's opinion will be different, so an 8/great means whatever, but there are too many missing elements not mentioned for my taste.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #21
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'll leave specifics out as not to disturb the thread, but there are some glaring legacy issues glossed over or flat out ignored. Everyone's opinion will be different, so an 8/great means whatever, but there are too many missing elements not mentioned for my taste.
Hey Bez, I'm interested in hearing some of the legacy issues you're seeing. While not attributing them directly to "legacy issues", I definitely saw some problems that have existed in prior games (i.e. Running backs slamming into the O line and falling down).

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
Hey Bez, I'm interested in hearing some of the legacy issues you're seeing. While not attributing them directly to "legacy issues", I definitely saw some problems that have existed in prior games (i.e. Running backs slamming into the O line and falling down).
Ben, are you a reviewer only or do you have direct contact with Madden Devs? My biggest issue with madden is CFM and how all their abstractions are very arcade. Any chance they will give options in CFM to provide more (optional) realistic CFM abstractions?

You were asking Bez for examples so I'm just taking a chance that you may have a line to Madden developer/designers. The realism crowd really doesn't have a franchise path.

My question/comment is strictly CFM. I think gameplay has taken some steps toward realism.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #23
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18
"Franchise mode wasn’t given a ton of attention this year, but it received a large number of smaller changes that benefit it a lot."

That stood out so much when you consider they branded it as a complete overhaul
It was overhauled, though. Overhaul literally means "to take apart in order to examine and repair if necessary". That's exactly what Tiburon did, there are bug fixes and gameplay balance adjustments all over the place to make the mode just flat-out work and work better. They also added some new layers to the existing onion on top of performing those many fixes.

Was franchise mode revolutionized, or were high-level gameplay cadences radically changed? No, they weren't, and I suppose people who interpreted overhaul to mean that are going to be disappointed. But Tiburon didn't misspeak here.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 08-17-2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: I accidentally a word
Old 08-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #24
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Ben, are you a reviewer only or do you have direct contact with Madden Devs? My biggest issue with madden is CFM and how all their abstractions are very arcade. Any chance they will give options in CFM to provide more (optional) realistic CFM abstractions?

You were asking Bez for examples so I'm just taking a chance that you may have a line to Madden developer/designers. The realism crowd really doesn't have a franchise path.

My question/comment is strictly CFM. I think gameplay has taken some steps toward realism.
Bucky, I'm not answering for Ben, but did you listen to the podcast of 4tdverts with John White, one of the developers of CFM.

Based on that interview, I got the impression that XP wasn't going away. It sounded like to me they would like to make the XP experience more realistic.

That was my takeaway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »