Home

NHL 17 Player Ratings - Top 10 Defensemen

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Player Ratings - Top 10 Defensemen within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2016, 02:51 AM   #17
Rookie

giantsharks's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 17 Player Ratings - Top 10 Defensemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni91
I would have Vlasic out and Letang in. Vlasic is very good and possible one of the best defensive defenseman in the NHL but his point totals (besides last year) don't dictate a 90+ rating.....probably have him at 89.
Agreed he doesnt get a lot of points but hes still a solid puck moving defensemen and very good in the offensive zone
Golden State Warriors
Old 08-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #18
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Byfuglien being on that list is another example of how EA's overall rating for defenders is weighted too heavily towards hitting and shot power.
And how the perceived overall ability of the player tends to skew the individual skill ratings upward. That's great that they gave Weber 93 strength, 92 checking and 95 shot power. The problem is they probably gave him 85/85/85 spd/agl/acc too.

There's not enough emphasis on strengths and weaknesses in the ratings. Too often it's all-around good, average, or bad. If a guy has a bomb from the point, but can't do much else, rate him like it. If someone has slick hands, but can't (or won't) play defense, rate him like it. Big hulking power forward with iffy hands? Rate. Him. Like. It.

Maybe we'd finally see more diversity in gameplay and have to think a little when it comes to roster construction as well.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

It's ridiculous to read people's reactions to overalls. In fact there is no difference at all between 89 overall player when comparing him 93 overall guy. As I said before. My point is, you or the game don't see / feel / care / realize the difference between 91 and 92 when you are playing the game (in fact you or the game itself don't see the difference many times when the difference in certain skill is between 80 and 90 and in the big image when using EA's rosters all the difference is between 10 those numbers), but when the difference is big enough (and I mean BIG) it makes sense, and it makes you play feel and think the game differently.

I just have made some tests tweaking rosters with gameplay sliders and coming to the result, that if you like to see and feel the differences that makes sense, the difference in skating skill needs to be ca. 40 numbers (if attribute effects slider is maxed).
Old 08-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #20
Rookie

unisol_us's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosterbe
It's ridiculous to read people's reactions to overalls. In fact there is no difference at all between 89 overall player when comparing him 93 overall guy. As I said before. My point is, you or the game don't see / feel / care / realize the difference between 91 and 92 when you are playing the game
I think it is fun to advocate for your favorite players not really because of the differences in the game.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #21
Rookie

Weber a 94? lol! Canadiens fans wish!

Byfuglien a 91? is he even going to be a top 4 Defenseman on the US World Cup team?

I'd put Pietrangelo and Josi in the top 10.

Also maybe Letang, really hard to keep him out after his playoff performance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2016, 06:41 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosterbe
It's ridiculous to read people's reactions to overalls. In fact there is no difference at all between 89 overall player when comparing him 93 overall guy. As I said before. My point is, you or the game don't see / feel / care / realize the difference between 91 and 92 when you are playing the game (in fact you or the game itself don't see the difference many times when the difference in certain skill is between 80 and 90 and in the big image when using EA's rosters all the difference is between 10 those numbers), but when the difference is big enough (and I mean BIG) it makes sense, and it makes you play feel and think the game differently.

I just have made some tests tweaking rosters with gameplay sliders and coming to the result, that if you like to see and feel the differences that makes sense, the difference in skating skill needs to be ca. 40 numbers (if attribute effects slider is maxed).
Huh? I play online so I can't tweak sliders, players ratings definitely make a difference
Old 08-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #23
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsharks
As a Sharks fan i was sad to see Weber go, he was a big reason the Sharks beat Nashville.
With Weber now gone, the Preds are automatically a better team, they would have beaten the Sharks last year without him. Knowing that the series still went to 7 games, add Subban to the mix and the Sharks have absolutely no chance this year.

Last edited by Al_Tito13; 08-22-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:03 AM   #24
Rookie

giantsharks's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Tito13
With Weber now gone, the Preds are automatically a better team, they would have beaten the Sharks last year without him. Knowing that the series still went to 7 games, add Subban to the mix and the Sharks have absolutely no chance this year.
Yea no chance.......Sharks also got better, Im sure theyll be right back in the thick of it. Weber gave up a lot of soft goals, I know youre being sarcastic but if i were you Id curb my expectations on Weber
Golden State Warriors

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »