Home

NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impressions - Freelance Offenses For Every Team and More (Polygon)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impressions - Freelance Offenses For Every Team and More (Polygon) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impressions - Freelance Offenses For Every Team & More (Polygon

So there are more steals and deflections, yet no way for us to control it by giving us the choice how we pass? Also, does this mean again that CPU just steals the ball with their back to you, always know where the ball will go and get a hand on impossible passes like before? This has been one of the main frustrations for me year after year. Why it's not addressed, I don't know..give me options to throw a bounce pass, lob pass, straight pass, and at least some kind of ability to throw it fast when opportunity presents itself. Also fast break passes should be fast and not take 2 seconds to throw and to the logical choice, not the guy right in front of you..not looking good for control of passing, especially to counteract the CPU's ability to steal even more.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Re: NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impressions - Freelance Offenses For Every Team & More (Polygon

Samit told me you can still use X/Square to shoot, for those that were curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Someone has been reading the forums diligently maybe coincidence but wow this sounds like every gameplay gripe I had addressed in the form of an article addressed to people that comment and make threads on here.

Quote:
Another big change comes in the steals department. Steals have felt random in pretty much every basketball video game ever made, but in NBA 2K17, the opportunity to make a play is in your hands.
"If I can expect you to make a move and show the ball unprotected, I can time my button press" and knock the ball away, said Jones, who did this exact thing to me when we played each other. This applies to passes, too. Jones acknowledged that throwing the ball willy-nilly into the key was almost a "money" play last year. In about half an hour playing NBA 2K17, I saw multiple passes to the paint get deflected and even picked off. The ball just felt more live, whether on passes, steals or rebounds.
I know many people wanted some form of live ball back maybe not 2K12 but something.

The fatigue thing sounds like a wishlish item too
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #12
Reignman Baby!

SonicBoom2040's Arena

OVR: 2
You have three types of passing in 16 already. Doubt it changes in 17..can always hope
Old 08-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Timing lay ups and more deflections in the paint. Sounds awesome so far.

PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THINGS FOR CASUAL GAMERS! MAKE THEM LEARN THE GAME OF BASKETBALL!!
Old 08-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impressions - Freelance Offenses For Every Team & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Samit told me you can still use X/Square to shoot, for those that were curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great news! I'd much rather have the ratings impact a shot than my laziness.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #15
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0

Good interview, but that's one guy playing a build that may or may not be close to what's released. I like what I saw there -- more control on the sticks, emphasizing skill, playing more realistically are all pluses if executed correctly.

But I feel the more important part of the interview was the sidebar and this bit:

Quote:
"I just know that at least for us, it’s been a pretty tough development cycle, just because our date did come in an additional [week earlier]," said Jones. (NBA 2K17 launches Sept. 20 and will be available Sept. 16 to customers who pre-order it. The game is usually released at least one week later than that.)
"And a lot of stuff came in really late," Jones continued. "We’re not very good at, and we’ve never been very good at, showing anything before time."
^This could explain some things, notably the lack of official (non-bootleg) gameplay video and the absolute silence on gameplay additions since we were told about League Expansion. Seems to me the devs are really pushing hard to hit that release date and the cycle has been harder than usual.

At least to me, that's a sign to step-back expectations a bit. I think we may need to wait to render judgement till after the first patch.

Last edited by trekfan; 08-22-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #16
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Excellent hands on...touched on a lot of great things....glad to see a big part of the focus is on defense...and thats coming from a high level..

Kind of quiet in here considering dudes were starving for info...a nice chunk here
I just hope defense is more organic because I thought it was somewhat overpowered and fake. Too magnetic, with slow and floaty offensive animation to create seperation. I hope that a guy just standing there and not getting his arms up isn't considered good defense especially against a good player. I hope they brought back some excitement to the offensive side.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »