Home

NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impessions - Physics, Aiming with Shot Stick & More (PopSci)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impessions - Physics, Aiming with Shot Stick & More (PopSci) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impessions - Physics, Aiming with Shot Stick & More (PopSci)

PopSci has posted their NBA 2K17 hands-on preview, as they go over physics tweaking, aiming with shot stick and more.

Quote:
To make the game more realistic, the team made sure you could no longer run or jump through an opposing player’s limbs, which was a complaint they heard repeatedly. This also means that the ball will actually ricochet off of a player’s arm or leg, making you fight for better position. The team worked on tweaking the physics of the game, allowing you to play more physically and fight for the ball like real players do.
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impessions (PopSci)

When is OS going to get a hands on?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

I like this review, though I do not see at all how these players are supposed to look less like plastic and especially less shiny. Have they watched their own trailer?? And no, sweaty NBA players do not shine like this, it's negrolotion!
Old 08-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #4
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
The game also changes up shooting a bit, adding in aiming on the joystick to increase difficulty. If you use the stick to shoot (which I don’t, I find I’m better off just using the buttons), you have to try to keep the joystick straight up so that you don’t miss the hoop. You also have to be accurate in the mechanics for layups, which hasn’t been seen before, but movement also allows you to avoid defenders in your way.
Aiming ? So with the sticks you have to aim but with the buttons you don't ? That's very strange.

Quote:
The algorithms that allow you to do dribble moves were pretty good in the past, but they looked like scripted animations that were hard to escape. That made it difficult, in some situations, to capitalize and beat your defender off the dribble. Now, the algorithms are layered, which helps the gamers with better timing and stick skills to actually dice up their opponents, rewarding the better player.
That sounds good. I'am glad they looked at that.

Last edited by Vni; 08-22-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #5
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

1. Live ball.2. Dribbling more realistic.

It all "sounds" good

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
The 2K team also told me that they went around to arenas with light measuring equipment so that they could measure how the light would affect colors on jerseys
Did they also bring equipment for sound so they can capture some authentic crowd noise?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
To make the game more realistic, the team made sure you could no longer run or jump through an opposing player’s limbs, which was a complaint they heard repeatedly. This also means that the ball will actually ricochet off of a player’s arm or leg, making you fight for better position. The team worked on tweaking the physics of the game, allowing you to play more physically and fight for the ball like real players do.
I'll be shocked if they get this 100% correct because I've assumed that this is impossible in ANY sports game.

Quote:
The game also changes up shooting a bit, adding in aiming on the joystick to increase difficulty. If you use the stick to shoot (which I don’t, I find I’m better off just using the buttons), you have to try to keep the joystick straight up so that you don’t miss the hoop.
If this is the case, then I already know I'm going to be mainly shooting with the button this year. I may mess around with the shot stick but not as much as I do now.

Quote:
In practice, dribbling moves have gotten a lot more difficult to time up, which is good and bad. It makes the game more realistic, but it doesn’t allow you to string together a ridiculously fun sequence of moves like you could in the past. I’m sure that if I became more familiar with the game, as I have with the previous versions, it would make more sense the more I messed around with it. For now, it does seem like a hurdle that the average gamer might not be able to fully clear.
Are they speaking on responsiveness issues?

Quote:
To replicate this, NBA 2K17 strayed away from a long-term energy tank and refocused on short term maximum energy use. What this means is that you can no longer sprint constantly, just like an NBA player doesn’t sprint the length of the court five times in a row. This prevents players from riding the turbo button, making you use your energy more wisely.
Hasn't this always been in the game though?

Good and interesting read though, nonetheless.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #8
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Yeah well if shooting is essentially harder with the stick I don't see any reason to use it. Unless there is something else to it. That sounds like they weren't sure of that mechanic so they left the button unchanged just in case it was overkill.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »