Home

NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impessions - Physics, Aiming with Shot Stick & More (PopSci)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impessions - Physics, Aiming with Shot Stick & More (PopSci) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17 Hands-On Impessions (PopSci)

The biggest change comes in the form of a mix of reality and gaming. In the previous 2K games, when your player would be low on energy, his attributes would suffer and he would have to be subbed out of the game. If you watch basketball, you know that this isn’t how professional athletes work. Yes, they need rest, but they often play just as well in the closing minutes of the game as they do at the beginning.

Does the person who wrote this preview realize that this is because they do get rest? There's a reason hardly anyone plays 40+ minutes per game. Players play worse when they're tired, with some (rare and inconsistent) exceptions. I feel like the long-term fatigue system was fine as it was.

Last edited by RyanFitzmagic; 08-22-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 33

Quote:
Improved AI is hinted at in the trailer, when a defender blocks a layup from behind. You see a vastly improved help defense system in the game, where computer players are much more aware of their surroundings. Instead of simply moving from point A to point B, or sticking with one player on defense, the 2K team told me that computer players are much better at understanding what to do on the court and why.
Hope this is well done and it accounts both, on a player to player and on a team to team bases.

We need even more signature individuality and more signature team, in terms of performances.

Hopefully, the surroundings means they are aware of what type of player is the one with the ball (if he isnt a great finisher, maybe just kind of fake show, or commit if he is a great finisher ... or if there are great catch and shoot players, dont let them alone to fully help, etc)

Last edited by ffaacc03; 08-22-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #11
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I wonder if fatigue will be noticeable for a team that's on a B2B in MyLeague? Because I felt like before, it didn't really make all that much of a difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
Hopefully, the surroundings means they are aware of what type of player is the one with the ball (if he isnt a great finisher, maybe just kind of fake show, or commit if he is a great finisher ... or if there are great catch and shoot players, dont let them alone to fully help, etc)
I've wanted this for years. A way to tell your teammates that a LeBron drive requires more help-defense attention than a James Jones drive.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 14

I am interested in seeing the new contact dynamics. Haven't seen this captured quite right as of yet.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 PM   #14
Pro

I like the sound of the new fatigue system. stopping the nonstop turbo game is a good step in making the game more sim.

Hopefully the physic system took out canned animations on defenders. Especially guys who abuse the hopstep, I'm tired of seeing my defender jump backwards to accommodate the offensive player jumping into the paint.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #15
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
To make the game more realistic, the team made sure you could no longer run or jump through an opposing player’s limbs, which was a complaint they heard repeatedly. This also means that the ball will actually ricochet off of a player’s arm or leg, making you fight for better position. The team worked on tweaking the physics of the game, allowing you to play more physically and fight for the ball like real players do.
This would hopefully resolve one of my biggest pet peeves w the game. Sounds promising. Cmon 2k... deliver on it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 33

Also, I would love the more difficulty to get dribbling moves string together even tho I am not stick skilled, but would even consider to accept some sort of "first step" advantage to those who can master the dribbling, to kind of reward and separate the good from the average user stick skills.

Then again, dont like the apparent grand scheme of all these remarks (within this and other impressions threads):
- more difficult to dribble
- players perform at same level albeit tired
- let the O & D be managed by AI coach to fully function as intended
- more skilled based than averages (ratings) based, in terms of result

It all seems like less control for the user, geared more to player vs player enviroment and predetermined than simulating the game, its teams and players, then again, if it let us have more signature on a player and team bases, I "could" stomage it ... mildly hopefull by this remark:
Quote:
In my limited playing experience with the new game, they were great at spacing the floor on offense and helping out on defense when I inevitably allowed an open lane to the basket. It was more fluid, as a real basketball game is, than sequenced movements that we’ve seen before.
Anyways, am eager to test the game ... or hopefully have some fully detailed OSers hands on ... or plenty of gameplay footage and impressions to try and get a "feel" of these all really means.

Last edited by ffaacc03; 08-22-2016 at 07:05 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »