Home

NHL 17 Review

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Review within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
So EA removes the iconic music from each team which is a great part of the hockey experience and they stick garbage songs throughout the menu screens. Terrific.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:17 PM   #10
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck135
So EA removes the iconic music from each team which is a great part of the hockey experience and they stick garbage songs throughout the menu screens. Terrific.
Goal songs are there - seems to be a bug for certain teams.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 17
I think I will pass this year given the review. Not that I was expecting anything revolutionary but was looking for a little more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2016, 11:37 PM   #12
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 17 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Goal songs are there - seems to be a bug for certain teams.
Yeah.. bug.. the Blues have their song.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:25 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
Appreciate the review.

I blew through a season of NHL 16 when I got a PS4 in February, but by the summer the game's flaws were too much to enjoy the game which was a lot of fun the majority of the time.

What I thought the problem was was the lack of full slider customization. I couldn't really open it up as much as I wanted to. I was hoping that the slider adjustments this year would allow me to have a true arcade feel when I wanted that and then switch it up and slow it down when I wanted a more authentic experience.

Sounds like some of the same bang-your-head against the wall moments still occur, which sucks to hear. I know no game can be perfect, so I'm hoping I'll be able to mitigate them with settings sliders and options.

I'm thinking I'll rent this game from Redbox and binge play it for a week or two, then decide whether to buy it outright or sit out another season. Unfortunately, no review can really make that distinction for you besides first hand experience. But it's good to know what to expect going in.
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

In regards to your comment about sliders, I'd say this year's game is definitely worth checking out on that basis. If it was your biggest concern with last year's game, you'll be pleasantly surprised at some of the new additions. They've put considerable work into this area.

Whether you can create the exact feel you're hoping to achieve is something only you can determine, however.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #14
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24forever
This plays a great game of hockey. Loose pucks, sloppy play, errant passes, etc. I'm happy with the on ice improvements.
Agreed. There might not be as many bells and whistles, but the game plays great this year.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike24forever
This plays a great game of hockey. Loose pucks, sloppy play, errant passes, etc. I'm happy with the on ice improvements.
NHL 16 already had way too much of that. Played like a beer league hockey game. Setting up plays and scoring chances should be what I'm trying to accomplish, not a cross ice pass.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
Rookie

Re: NHL 17 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariya05
NHL 16 already had way too much of that. Played like a beer league hockey game. Setting up plays and scoring chances should be what I'm trying to accomplish, not a cross ice pass.
That's how real hockey plays though. There's constantly loose pucks going into corners, bouncing pucks that jump over the stick, free for alls in front of the net, hockey really is a sloppy game along the boards and in front of the net. But, thanks to these sliders, you can make magnetic puck control if that's what you prefer. You can make a wild, choppy, physical game if you want. Extremely low scoring with lots of shots, it seems to give you the ability to do anything you want.

To me that's why it's worth buying. I plan on creating the 2000 style of hockey. Big hits, bit of a low scoring game (2-1, 3-2 type games), lots of scrums in the corner and in front of the net over loose pucks. Gonna edit down the 4th liners as well so there's a higher difference between player skill.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »