Home

NBA 2K17: Reviewer First Impressions

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17: Reviewer First Impressions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NBA 2K17: Reviewer First Impressions

As I dive into NBA 2K17, I'm reminded once again about how deep the modes in the game are. Right now, look for my full review of NBA 2K17 sometime around Tuesday.

For now, if you are unsure about whether you are jumping in or not, here's a look at a few quick impressions after a few games:
  • The gameplay and presentation still continue to be just so smooth. Its not like that wasn't expected but it does need to be stated for the record. There's a lot more to explore on the court but I'm definitely hooked to the on-court gameplay.
  • Look-wise, the game looks better with more varied body types as one addition. The other tweaks are adding nice touches as well. Overall the game looks a hair better than last year.
  • There are still instances where you get stuck in animations -- I had one instance at the end of a game I drove the lane and tried to fire up a quick shot at the buzzer and instead my player went into a lengthy drive-layup animation which resulted in time expiring before the shot went up. That wasn't particularly good considering I was in a position to win the game.
  • Commentary seems solid enough still. I haven't played enough to form a good judgement on it but I don't see any reason after a few more games I won't be coming away with a positive vibe.
  • The only mode I've dove into enough to write anything on has been MyPLAYER. The story and background are a fun setup but the mode has some serious issues which I think will leave me thinking its a negative this year. I'll need to play a bit more but it just feels the mode goes out of its way to mire you in tedium.
  • I played a game of 1-on-1 in MyPLAYER and it felt just so right. To me its impressive the game can play a good brand of basketball be it 5-on-5, 3-on-3, or 1-on-1. That means its getting a few things right with gameplay.
Final Thoughts

NBA 2K17 is looking like a winner on the court at least. The game right now seems to have done a lot more right than wrong, but we still have a lot of time until the final review is published. For now, I'm definitely optimistic about NBA 2K17's prospects.

Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
MVP

G0DZGiFT's Arena

OVR: 3
This game is beautiful so far. 2K please don't kill it with the patches, PLEASE!
Old 09-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
Yeah patches nowdays can hurt games barbecue a lot of the "this has to be patched" is based off online play against another human. dev's quickly react to online play and ppl not liking it and will actual REMOVE it instead of fixing it or worse making it more arcadey

i fear of the patch
Old 09-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
I hate to point it out but body types man...They're horrible !
Why in the hell did they decide to make half the league undernourished !!!
Guys like Hayward, Antetokounmpo, Stanley Johnson to name a few or my fellow frenchies such as Lauvergne, Fournier or Batum are literally anorexic !

I hope they will correct it soon with via new patches. Unfortunately, I don't see users complaining about it !
Am I the only one ?!
Old 09-17-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
MVP

michaelhawj's Arena

this game is amazing ever i playing.. Gameplay is great and way better than 2k16.. graphic is great, player body types look good but Kevin Durant has no muscle on his arms. i give this is 10/10. i doubt this reviewer give this is 8.5 or 9
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman Flying
I hate to point it out but body types man...They're horrible !
Why in the hell did they decide to make half the league undernourished !!!
Guys like Hayward, Antetokounmpo, Stanley Johnson to name a few or my fellow frenchies such as Lauvergne, Fournier or Batum are literally anorexic !

I hope they will correct it soon with via new patches. Unfortunately, I don't see users complaining about it !
Am I the only one ?!
I agree they body types are terrible
Old 09-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
MVP

Re: NBA 2K17: Reviewer First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DZGiFT
This game is beautiful so far. 2K please don't kill it with the patches, PLEASE!
Agreed but they do need to fix the sliding especially when players are sliding almost 5 feet when receiving inbound passes. Also, the CPU is taking way too many ill advised 3's. When you have players like Patrick Beverly taking steps back fade away 3's on a consistent basis, that's a problem imo.

Last edited by JKSportsGamer1984; 09-17-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #8
Rookie

The game is good but the subs and and tempo option in game is very hard and confusing

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »