Home

NBA 2K17 Review (PS4/XB1)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Review (PS4/XB1) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NBA 2K17 Review (PS4/XB1)

For the past several years, all other sports games have been judged by NBA 2K's standards. It is no surprise NBA 2K is the reigning multiple time Sports Game of the Year Award winner here at Operation Sports as well.

Simply put, NBA 2K has been a bit of a big deal around these parts for a few years.

Enter NBA 2K17. This year's game features important tweaks to the gameplay, a new MyCareer experience, new additions to MyGM, and a whole host of other new features that all add up to a compelling package oozing basketball authenticity.

There's a lot to love about NBA 2K17 -- but the game is still not quite perfect, with a few notable issues continuing to hold the experience back.

Read More - NBA 2K17 Review (PS4/XB1)
Platform: PS4
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
MVP

michaelhawj's Arena

OVR: 0
great review.. i give this is 10/10..

Gameplay, animations, presentation, commentary and My GM are Top Notch !!!!

Cons : My Career has some negative is ai cpu teammate sometimes playing so dumb and my own player require VC points to improve my player rating, animations and other stuffs because i don't like to waste money on VC points for improve my player rating and animations

Last edited by michaelhawj; 09-20-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
MVP

Completely agree with this review. If 2K fixes the issue with players sliding into position when receiving passes (especially on inbound passes) & corrects some of the player body type blunders (some players arms are too skinny), I would probably give this game close to a 10. Gameplay is really good this year. This game is incredibly deep. There are a lot of subtle improvements that you notice the more you play. There are a few legacy issues still remaining (selective ball tangibility, clipping, some unbreakable 2 man animations, etc..) They also have to fix the isse with players not subbing in after timeouts. With a patch or two, this game can be a classic.

Last edited by JKSportsGamer1984; 09-20-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
MVP

MoneyOvaHuds's Arena

Re: NBA 2K17 Review (PS4/XB1)

Best 2k ever made
Old 09-20-2016, 05:20 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
For the rest of the audience (most of them), it makes the game daunting and, dare I say it, unapproachable for beginners.
As someone who readily admits he is not the most knowledgable about basketball on the court, this is disheartening to read.

I enjoyed the review otherwise, however. It looks like NBA 2K is still a fantastic game for those who already understand the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #6
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
As someone who readily admits he is not the most knowledgable about basketball on the court, this is disheartening to read.

I enjoyed the review otherwise, however. It looks like NBA 2K is still a fantastic game for those who already understand the game.

Not so much understanding the game as it is just being a stickmaster.

I understand the game extremely well but on the sticks I am very simple because I just can't chain the harder moves together.

If you play FIFA, it's like knowing how to do the easy step overs and fake kicks but those that master the concept can pull off amazing Dekes, stopovers, rabonas etc.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtrucker
Not so much understanding the game as it is just being a stickmaster.

I understand the game extremely well but on the sticks I am very simple because I just can't chain the harder moves together.

If you play FIFA, it's like knowing how to do the easy step overs and fake kicks but those that master the concept can pull off amazing Dekes, stopovers, rabonas etc.
That's part of what I meant to say (admittedly I phrased my thoughts poorly there).

I can learn a pick-and-roll, a 2-3 zone, or other high-level concepts and plays pretty easily. I also have a pretty good understanding of how the NBA works with respect to contracts, the draft, and the salary cap.

However, I have no idea about how and when I might want to use any of the given dribble / size-up / post moves in the various ball-handler gameplay contexts. There are so many options available, I have no idea what advantages / disadvantages each move provides, when to use one over the other.

This doesn't even get to actually performing the moves like you alluded to; I'm probably similar to you that I can hold my own on the sticks in most games and I'm a competent gamer, but I'm absolutely not going to the Evo Championship Series anytime soon or anything like that, lol.

I would be quite ready to plunk down $60 for this game - which is by all accounts great - if there were some sort of interactive tutorial which not only explained how to perform certain actions on the court but explain to me why I might do any one of them. Alternatively, an "auto-moves" option like what Madden NFL 17 provides to inexperienced players on Rookie and Pro difficulties is something I might find useful as well. As is, the learning curve is just too steep, and I know I won't be able enjoy this game and my buying it would be a waste of time. And it makes me sad, because the game does look very good.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
MyGM on the other hand, is the best sports gaming franchise mode experience you are going to find.
I'm wondering what makes MyGM better than MyLeague?

I haven't really ventured into MyGM since about 2k12 or so and have put extensive hours into MyLeague in the past few seasons.

What would I get in MyGM that would be better than MyLeague?

(I'm legit asking here, not calling anyone out for their opinion. I just had no idea MyGM was so tremendous and feel like I've been missing out after this review lol)

Solid review, by the way. Sums up how I feel about it so far.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »