Home

Rex Dickson Talks Madden NFL 17 on 4 Verts

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Talks Madden NFL 17 on 4 Verts within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57

The 4 Verts Podcast checked in with Madden Creative Director Rex Dickson to talk a variety of topics relating to Madden NFL 17.

Check out the topics they discussed:

Quote:
"-Thoughts on stumbling out of the blocks with EA Access and Run/Pass Glitch.

-The patch process and how they approached it.

-Shift from how they define success in a launch.As they move from review based goals to core sentiment feelings.

-"Crowd sourced" development and EA's approach, specifically Madden's approach, to the player first mentality.

-Rex explains the struggle to balance SIM, Casual, and Competitive gamers.

-The tuning process, when to hold steady versus making changes, and how data drives these decisions. Rex specifically addressed the upcoming tuning on the fatigue bug and why it occurred.

-How,and why, the Nano Detection System came to be.

-Competitive gaming, and it's place in Madden's growth going forward.

-.....I also ask him why my WR1 is on the left and not matched up against CB1 by default, and his explanation (kind of)."

Be sure to listen to the podcast and add your thoughts below!
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Good podcast. Where OS interviews with ea lol
Old 09-27-2016, 06:09 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Rex Dickson Talks Madden NFL 17 on 4 Verts

From my perspective, the eSports discussion, should be very concerning for the simulation/ offline gamer and the hardcore fanbase. May be a tell tale for where the game play is headed in the coming years.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 21

What I took away from this was that Rex cannot hold off corporate and marketing. They will get the kind of game they want...and make no mistake about it, that is NOT a sim experience. They want the game to cater to tourney and casuals...not the sim crowd.

This is evident in the changes that have recently been applied through the tuner. The bottom line is, no matter how hard Rex pushes his hands are tied because when you have corporate investing more than $1 million in tourneys, he has to produce the kind of game and experience that they want. It's not about sim football..it's about fun, exciting, semi-arcade type football where stick skills and knowledge of exploits will determine a winner.

Guys, let's face it...Madden will never get to the point we want it to. Ever. It can't under these parameters. Rex has good ideas and intentions, but he can't execute due to these facts.

C
Old 09-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
What I took away from this was that Rex cannot hold off corporate and marketing. They will get the kind of game they want...and make no mistake about it, that is NOT a sim experience. They want the game to cater to tourney and casuals...not the sim crowd.

This is evident in the changes that have recently been applied through the tuner. The bottom line is, no matter how hard Rex pushes his hands are tied because when you have corporate investing more than $1 million in tourneys, he has to produce the kind of game and experience that they want. It's not about sim football..it's about fun, exciting, semi-arcade type football where stick skills and knowledge of exploits will determine a winner.

Guys, let's face it...Madden will never get to the point we want it to. Ever. It can't under these parameters. Rex has good ideas and intentions, but he can't execute due to these facts.

C

I agree with this 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
Rookie

Tonic's Arena

OVR: 0

I haven't listened to this yet but my stance on sim vs. casual is this - both crowds can be pleased, that's why we have sliders. I've brought up the same point in the NHL forums for years so I'll keep this short.

EA is a business whose primary goal is to make money. They make more money by marketing this game to the casual football fan who wants to see sweet one-hand catches in double coverage and huge hits than to the hardcore fan who wants offensive line injuries and knows the difference between the A gap and the B gap. There are simply more casual gamers in existence than hardcore gamers, and this applies to every video game out there. The company making the game will simply make more sales by appealing to a wider audience than the niche hardcore fans.

However, by having sliders, we are able to tweak the game to our liking (for the most part). You also have to remember that most of us here are of the hardcore variety. So while the majority of people here might have gripes about certain aspects of the game, we are still the minority overall.

Wrapping this up, I like to think that most of the devs are more like us than they are the casual fans. As apparently alluded to in the podcast, the executives/marketing team make the majority of the decisions to influence the final product, which makes sense from a financial perspective. The silver lining to this is as the product makes more sales, they can have more people working on the game overall. Even if they spend 80% working on solely online features, they're still spending 20% of their time working on offline features for us hardcore fans.

With that said, I'm really happy with where we're at in gaming. I haven't played it very much the last 5 years or so, but Madden is the best it's ever been. NHL is by far the best it's ever been. Plenty of good games to keep me occupied and having fun for a long time
Old 09-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #7
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Listening to Rex talk about the O-Line as being unsexy and how hard of a sell it is to marketing has me really worried. It is by far the most poorly represented aspect in the game and the fact that it's in its current state with so much time seemingly dedicated to it over the past few years is frustrating. It's in need of a complete overhaul but with the way he talks about it, it doesn't seem like that's something that will be able to happen anytime soon.

Maybe it's just me but I also got the impression that the Nano Blitz Detection may not be as much a bandaid as it is a longer term fix which is really disappointing. If they can clean it up and have it trigger properly then it shouldn't really be an issue but with line play in such an awful state, it sucks to have to potentially deal with long term bandaids.

As for the tourney vs. sim stuff, I think it's pretty clear where the game is headed and has been heading the last few years. Part of what has to be frustrating for the sim crowd is the fact that they've been told for years and years now that they're such a small minority but now it seems as if the game is attempting to cater to the minority of a minority of a minority. And while it's completely reasonable with the amount of exposure it's likely to bring to the game, the bottom line is still going to be that those two sides want drastically different games. One side is fine and embraces the unknown and unpredictable while the other vehemently wants stick skills and user input to supersede everything. And while the emphasis on this tourney style will undoubtedly benefit the game in a certain capacity by finding and eliminating true game-breaking exploits, it's also going to hinder certain aspects of the game that can be deemed "random" or uncompetitive from moving forward.

It's not about sim being "holier than thou" or superior to the tourney style, it just comes down to what you want in the game. I want to see all play styles accommodated and they have the tools available to do so in a much better fashion, they're just implemented poorly and/or poorly executed. It also creates this constant contradiction with like how he talks about the kick meter and he was so passionate about not keeping an easier option and forcing players to adapt as to not "half-***" it. But then when it comes to his vision of a "Authentic Football Simulation" those same concessions aren't taken because the tourney crowd wouldn't like it or it'd be a hard sell to the casuals, etc. Obviously a lot of that comes from above Rex's head but it leaves an extremely muddy view of what they're trying to do at times.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #8
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Great interview. Rex said some things I assumed where true but, it's good to hear be confirmed.

Some of it I don't like. Some of it I do like. At least he's being up front.

There are positives and negatives about Esports.

Let's face it Madden has been made for competitive gaming forever.

The only difference is now its getting so big that it's forcing them to look at exploits and glitches because of how bad it looks on national tv.

That's good in a way because more time is spent on things that need fixing.

The bad part of it really depends on what side you're on. I'm on the side of wanting random results like inaccurate passes. Or drops. So I'm not for that being taken away (barely there anyway).

If they would just include sliders for everything. Kind of like 2k does. Make them work. We could tune the game exactly how we want for offline play and franchise mode or online franchise.

I can't understand why we are still stuck with the limited number of sliders for a sport that needs the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »