Home

Rex Dickson Talks Madden NFL 17 on 4 Verts

This is a discussion on Rex Dickson Talks Madden NFL 17 on 4 Verts within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Rex Dickson Talks Madden NFL 17 on 4 Verts

Esports should be limited to Tecmo Bowl, Double Dribble, RBI Baseball, and Cyberball.

Oh! and Nintendo Pro Wrestling.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

I've been begging for this for years now, but if I could get just a fumble slider that would only impact the probability of fumbles and nothing else, a QBA that was only for throw accuracy and a field goal accuracy slider that actually worked and good sim stats for the franchise engine, I would be happy.

Its beyond frustrating not seeing any non-Qb fumbles because the fumble slider is the running back ability slider and lowering that just makes a mess of the game. The QBA slider is like the entire offenses total awareness slider. And the FGA slider for years now doesn't work, it causes automatic shanks when put below 30 and FGs are way too easy.

Then they can tune the game however they want and I can use sliders to customize my own gameplay.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #11
Rookie

Rex Dickson Talks Madden NFL 17 on 4 Verts

The online aspect of video games has done some damage lately. It is ruining the sim aspect of sports games, it has made every shooter a no or pitiful campaign multiplayer, and all RPGS must now be MMO style.

I would be perfectly ok if online gaming was removed from the industry entirely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #12
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmart14
The online aspect of video games has done some damage lately. It is ruining the sim aspect of sports games, it has made every shooter a no or pitiful campaign multiplayer, and all RPGS must now be MMO style.
Online gaming is one of the best things to happen to video games, period. It's enabled the assembly of communities around games in specific and as a whole and increased interest in what used to be dismissed as a loser-teenage-male-living-in-a-basement activity. In turn the increased interest has earned gaming more popularity and acceptance in the mainstream as a legitimate artistic medium.

The design-by-numbers problem you allude to in AAA occurs regardless whether games have online functionality. That's entirely a function of a publisher controlling the purse strings, being risk-averse, and wanting to ensure return on their investment. You'd still have game publishers analyzing industry trends and copycatting successful mechanics and designs if online gaming didn't exist. Heck, this practice dates back to at least the 1990s; all single-player PC first-person shooter games used to be dismissed as "DOOM clones".

On a similar note, as I alluded to in other threads - the demonizing of the tourney crowd as an enemy of "sim" (whatever that is anymore) feels entirely misplaced to me. They ultimately want the same thing we do - a more authentic NFL experience from Madden.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 09-27-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Online gaming is one of the best things to happen to video games, period. It's enabled the assembly of communities around games in specific and as a whole and increased interest in what used to be dismissed as a loser-teenage-male-living-in-a-basement activity. In turn the increased interest has earned gaming more popularity and acceptance in the mainstream as a legitimate artistic medium.

The design-by-numbers problem you allude to in AAA occurs regardless whether games have online functionality. That's entirely a function of a publisher controlling the purse strings, being risk-averse, and wanting to ensure return on their investment. You'd still have game publishers analyzing industry trends and copycatting successful mechanics and designs if online gaming didn't exist. Heck, this practice dates back to at least the 1990s; all single-player PC first-person shooter games used to be dismissed as "DOOM clones".

On a similar note, as I alluded to in other threads - the demonizing of the tourney crowd as an enemy of "sim" (whatever that is anymore) feels entirely misplaced to me. They ultimately want the same thing we do - a more authentic NFL experience from Madden.
I disagree with that last statement. Seems to me they want the best stick skills to prevail always. No random occurences. Fumbles and penalties that are not directly caused by the player they are controlling is taboo.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #14
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I disagree with that last statement. Seems to me they want the best stick skills to prevail always. No random occurences. Fumbles and penalties that are not directly caused by the player they are controlling is taboo.
A point of difference on one facet of the discussion - user control vs ratings and random events - does not dismiss the fact that the tourney crowd wants agreeably-unrealistic stuff like nano blitzes eliminated from the game. The tourney crowd welcomed gap play and pattern-matching zones in Madden NFL 17 just as much as we here at OS did. Their ideal is winning games in Madden by playing real football.

Heck, one thing that would probably be a tourney player's dream would be some sort of defensive scheme builder. In this hypothetical defensive scheme builder, you the user would not only pick your formations, plays, and personnel groupings, but also you would customize every aspect of your defense - whether your corners play best-on-best or stick to specific sides, whether you align your safeties always to weak/strong side or to boundary/field side, how you set up your blitzes (do you want to blitz weak side? strong side? field side? boundary side? away from a specific OL? towards a specific OL? at a weak RB in pass-protection?).

A lot of the tourney-style players are also YouTube personalities, and anything a single tourney player can do to make his playing style of Madden distinct, unique, and successful compared to another competitor's style gives his channel and brand an advantage over his peers. Thus, they'd eat something like this up - they'd fill their channels with videos of their setups, best players to fit their schemes, etc. etc. all in the context of real-life football concepts.

Meanwhile, members of the sim community would kill for that level of detail and authenticity on the field Madden, would they not? The two groups have different motivations, but they share same goals - a better and more authentic Madden football game.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

I agree with some of those. However, overall video game quality has been going downhill since the early 2000s. Is the increased popularity due to online capabilities? Most likely. Sure, that has allowed it to become mainstream, but the cost was that these games now cater to everyone, even though they might play it for only the online part.

Could just be old man grumbling, though. Hahaha

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #16
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmart14

I would be perfectly ok if online gaming was removed from the industry entirely

I'm with you man. I hate being able to play friends on the other side of the country in a game of Madden. I also hate being to play in a 32 man franchise for 4-7 seasons and eliminating all the silly stuff the CPU does.

Online play is such a drag

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »