Home

Three Tips to Stop the Run in Madden NFL 17

This is a discussion on Three Tips to Stop the Run in Madden NFL 17 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Three Tips to Stop the Run in Madden NFL 17

Sgibs posted a great tip video comprehensively talking about how to stop the run in Madden NFL 17.

There's a lot of great information in this one to help you improve your run defense, including recommended settings and how to align your defense. Gibs really spends a good bit of time breaking down why Madden NFL 17 is different than previous versions and why paying attention to your gap assignments is incredibly important.

What do you think about stopping the run this year in Madden? What kind of things are you doing to stop it?
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: Three Tips to Stop the Run in Madden NFL 17

It's more of stopping the pass that I have trouble with..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Something that's helping me as the Cowboys in my franchise is aggressively using formation subs. For example, in my 4-3 base defensive fronts, I pull Randy Gregory out of the game, kick Tyrone Crawford out to left defensive end, swap Demarcus Lawrence out to right defensive end, and set Cedric Thornton and Terrell McClain as my defensive tackles.

This gives me better run defenders in the interior of my defense (Crawford is a good pass rush DT, but he has 70 BSH, whereas McClain and Thornton are both in the 80s wrt BSH), a more physical presence on the edge of the defensive front (Crawford is a stronger player than Gregory), and also saves Gregory for what he does best in rushing the passer (at 74 STA, Gregory is not an every-down player on this game).

In general, I've found that being aware of what your personnel can and can't do and putting each of your players in position to contribute to the best of their specific abilities can greatly increase your likelihood of success this year. If you do have a do-it-all player like Von Miller or Aaron Donald, you are at a tremendous advantage. Most teams don't have that, though, so maximizing the players you do have is key.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve
It's more of stopping the pass that I have trouble with..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Use the Seahawks, play cover 6 show 4 or drop 4 QB contain, user one of their speed backs, problem solved.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
Rookie

OtherMoon2's Arena

OVR: 1
That is way too much movement, and not football. No one is going to expose the middle that much, especially in a "solid front" where your tackles are shaded over the outside shoulder of the guards. To stop the stretch run, go 3-4 even. It puts a cap over each man while not over exposing the middle. This video demonstrate the difference between having football knowledge and vidoe game knowledge. I have not had a problem stopping the stretch run using the Even front. Some of these vidoes are helpful and then there are those that leaving me laughing. This one made me laugh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Stopping the run is childs play since the last tuner. Call a play and go get a sandwich. We need an article on how to make the AI run effectively without cranking up the AI sliders on All-Madden.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Stopping the run is childs play since the last tuner. Call a play and go get a sandwich. We need an article on how to make the AI run effectively without cranking up the AI sliders on All-Madden.
I agree 100% that last tuner has just mucked up the running game now. I can call cover 4 and that stops the run now lol its ridiculous.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter75
Use the Seahawks, play cover 6 show 4 or drop 4 QB contain, user one of their speed backs, problem solved.
LMAO you pick that defense and all a person has to do is just hot route the receivers to drags...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »