Home

The Shift is Taking Over Baseball, But What About The Show?

This is a discussion on The Shift is Taking Over Baseball, But What About The Show? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #9
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Shift is Taking Over Baseball, But What About The Show?

I've managed to use them quite effectively, but I find that I have to treat the spray charts with plenty of skepticism. I also may have to change the shift once I get into a deeper count.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJin2011tm
I hate it and would never use it in the Show or real life. I don't care what the numbers say.

Speaking of shifts how do you change the infield shifts in the Show 15? I can't seem to figure it out.
Thats a nice sentiment and I agree about not using it in the show but IRL theres just too much at stake not to use it appropriately . Anyone not willing to adapt will be left behind . And left in the unemployment line . When batters learn to become hitters again the shift will eventually become useless. Then I will rejoice .

A Work in Progress
Old 10-15-2016, 03:44 AM   #11
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Offline no because they seem too random.

Online sometimes but usually is more based off the park I am playing in and to take away bunting. Extreme shifts are too easy to beat with bunts unless you modify it by keeping the 3b at home to guard bunts.

One huge problem with shifting online is the pause timer. If you pause it automatically takes 15 sec off then sometimes it will randomly keep your guys in double play depth and sometimes they wont automatically do double play depth. It becomes a pain, very cumbersome and takes away from the fluidity of the game.

It needs fixed tbh plus theres no custom shifts, 5 man infields, no choice to concede stolen bases(if up 5 plus you cannot hold runners) or modified double play depth vs faster/slower runners.

It needs a ton of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youtube
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stout
Defense feels so stale and lacks any fluidity, which amazes me because I would've thought by this point Sony would have seen what engine re-hauls can do with games like Madden and FIFA. If you make a diving play, especially on player lock, it just feels so robotic. Granted, I think most Madden players will remember the early issues with the Infinite Engine, but look at where it is now...the engine with MLB TS feels ten years older than it should.
Stout,

You have a good point here. I was just thinking the same thing the other day when I thought about posting in the MLB 17 wish list thread.

I wondered if the non fluidness of playing defense is tied to the game engine. Granted I am a hardcore baseball fan. But when I play NBA 2k17 the way the players interact with each other on the court just has me dreaming that MLB The Show played with the same type of connection to the experience.

I am not a developer but I am a creative and a baseball player. I know it's not the visuals that give me the doscconect from having a realistic baseball experience. But I am not sure where the series is going from a realistic baseball stand point especially when they added the bullet time (non showtime) events on defense that cannot be turned off.

So if that's the way of thinking going forward I'm not sure what we will see in MLB 17. There is a big thread on here about defense overhaul I have yet to post there but hopefully it will address player lock defensive issues as well.

I have actually been looking for a video of someone player locked at short stop to call for a pick off play and actually get the runner out. I've been trying this since MLB 14 LOL with no luck!

I always knew MLB The Show looked the part but couldn't finger until now what was missing and one glaring isssue is that the game doesn't play like baseball especially from a defensive perspective even more glaring when you player lock on defense.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #13
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22
I think defensive alignment strategy needs to be the next big focus, and have said this in my circles for years. Aside from the occasion shift, bunt coverage, double play depth, the cpu never "adjusts", always straight up,vanilla, generic, zero effort in this area.

By the way, Ted Williams hit .406 in 1941 not .408. He did hit .407 in 1953 but with only 93 at bats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/willite01.shtml)
Old 10-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
I think defensive alignment strategy needs to be the next big focus, and have said this in my circles for years. Aside from the occasion shift, bunt coverage, double play depth, the cpu never "adjusts", always straight up,vanilla, generic, zero effort in this area.

It seems to be pre-programmed to shift for certain guys, probably based on name (or at least that player's ID) more than reading hit chart and player ability (any player with 85+ power and 40% or more pull tendency, for example).

Really see it in my "future" franchise were fictionals and other guys come up into good power hitters with pull profiles and no shift, but Chris Davis comes up - shift. Gallo? No shift - both are powerful LH pull hitters.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #15
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

As others have said, spray charts have much less impact on the Show than in real life. I've always assumed it had more to do with the "dice roll" that happens when comparing the hitter attributes against the pitcher attributes, and when they get combined against the pitch location and timing of the swing to produce the batted ball or swing and miss outcome, I don't believe the tendencies of the batter actually impact this as much as it should. I've been burned against the CPU many, many times against guys like Ortiz, Adrian Gonzalez, Rizzo, etc. At seemingly a much higher rate than these guys are able to do in real life.

Edit: additional thought about the "dice roll", this also seems to be part of the reason why we so SO MANY opposite field home runs in The Show, even for players in real life who basically never hit opposite field home runs.

Last edited by HypoLuxa13; 10-15-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
Edit: additional thought about the "dice roll", this also seems to be part of the reason why we so SO MANY opposite field home runs in The Show, even for players in real life who basically never hit opposite field home runs.

That and no "power by field" rating.

Haven't seen any baseball game really tackle that. Instead that 90 power or whatever applies to all fields, even his weaker ones. Likewise a 70 power that might be a 90+ to his dead pull field is still a 70.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »