Home

Are Three-Pointers Overpowered in NBA 2K17?

This is a discussion on Are Three-Pointers Overpowered in NBA 2K17? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #9
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Are Three-Pointers Overpowered in NBA 2K17?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Like Dirk said, my biggest complaint at this point is bad shooters hitting 3s on too much of a consistent basis.

I leave guys open who I know can't knock em from deep, and they drain em. Of course, I'm okay with that happening every once in awhile, but bad shooters are bad shooters. It's hard for me to label any player in 2k a "bad" shooter that I'm comfortable leaving open

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I'm wondering if this is just one of those things that stand out in your mind.

As in, Ill remember Tony Allen making a 3 on me, but will forget the 4 that he missed.

Im going to scout thruogh my boxscores and pick out the bad shooters to test this.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #10
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I can only talk about my experience in pro am.

I can say it's so weird see deep threes so successful at this high a percentage. Especially from stretch bigs. Idk , I mean how many big men even have limitless range bronze ?

As for threes overall , I would like to see them toned down a little but I'm ok with what we have.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 11-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #11
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
I'm wondering if this is just one of those things that stand out in your mind.

As in, Ill remember Tony Allen making a 3 on me, but will forget the 4 that he missed.

Im going to scout thruogh my boxscores and pick out the bad shooters to test this.
Honestly, it probably is, because percentages at the end of the game are usually where they're supposed to be, but I remember when guys who shouldn't draining 3s are just draining them a game.

It's not serious enough for a particular player to stick out in my mind, but it does happen from time to time. But like you said, I definitely notice the makes more than I do the misses.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #12
Pro

Vroman's Arena

OVR: 0

Biggest oddity is that extra range 3pt with sharpshooter feels at least as high% shot as a midrange. And overall shooting is just too easy for sharpshooter , i've got 64% 3pt in park (could be better if I didnt play bunch games without badges) and 70% 3pt in pro am games and I think its way too high even for good shots.

Using NBA teams I didn't notice 3pt being overpowered, its just combination of HoF badges that puts it nba-jam level.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
I can only talk about my experience in pro am.

I can say it's so weird see deep threes so successful at this high a percentage. Especially from stretch bigs. Idk , I mean how many big men even have limitless range bronze ?

As for threes overall , I would like to see them toned down a little but I'm ok with what we have.
Yeah, overpowered is a weird word, and speaking only about online play as well, I would say this:

I think they are more imbalanced. The percentages are too high because the game believes a good wide open shot should be high percentage. However, ways to get that wide open shot are many. It's too easy to get what the game thinks is a wide open shot.

The reason they are imbalanced is because, as I have spoke, they have an artificially inflated level of paint defense. Driving defense and post up defense is actually more powerful than perimeter defense. I think that it was originally included because the game was a dunk fest, but if people are shooting 50+ percent from 3 points, I believe in order to change the game they should make it easier to score inside especially vs smaller defenders and when you aren't doubled as well as make it so that people don't get as many crazy blocks when you are driving.

Once they tackle this problem, they will see a realistic defense that is trying to stop the inside score and then they can dial back the accuracy of what will be better 3 point shots and make the game less one dimensional.

In pro am, you can score inside, but in Park it's almost a signal of someone being bad when they don't play primarily for the 3. Even in pro am, the 3 is way more of a weapon than it is even for the GSW.

The ability to recover and block a dunk/lay up is higher than the ability to recover and make a jumper miss, imo, and the ability of people to shoot from super deep makes this even worse because if you are setting picks 30 feet from the basket you can't do any sort of complex help.

-Smak
Old 11-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #14
Banned

It's just the sharp shooters and stretch bigs running park and pro am. They have zero hesitation shooting from deep regardless of pressure and regardless of distance.

That is appalling and should never been a thing. If everyone in the NBA played like that like it is in the park, why even have a restricted area? What's the point of getting rebounds? Essentially, the game of cat and mouse is gone online.

Either you can shoot, or you can't.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #15
Rookie

From a Park/Pro-Am experience, I don't think 3's are OP as every archetype has the ability to hit an open 3 with the right badges. I DO however, think that the sharpshooter/stretch big archetype is OP.

Shooters are traditionally 1-dimensional players but 2K has given this archetype other attributes that should be a lot lower.

To compare, a LDD is great defensively and arguably limited offensively. Sharpshooters should've been the offensive version of an LDD where they are great offensively but limited defensively.

It's hard to argue because as the original poster has mentioned, this is the way the game is going and 2K has made the most popular archetype one of the best overall IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2016, 11:30 PM   #16
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

I think threes are accurately powered for the most part. I do think that some players that shouldn't make ANY make way too many. But other than that, it makes sense.

I think the problem is that every other method of scoring, as well as the defense in some areas are inconsistently powered. The spacing just doesn't accommodate other ways to score the ball. It's too cluttered to have a good off the dribble mid-range game like DeRozan, or dominate in Iso drives like Kyrie. Even post scoring seems like it's been nerfed since launch.. It's this problem that makes 3 point shooters much more valuable because they excel at the only type of offensive skill set this game seems to accommodate.

The defense also pick and chooses when to be effective. Like 3's wouldn't seem so deadly if they weren't always so wide open due to nonsensical defenders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »