Home

Rating the Ratings in WWE 2K17

This is a discussion on Rating the Ratings in WWE 2K17 within the WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Rating the Ratings in WWE 2K17

At its core, WWE 2K17 is a fighting game.

When discussing the fighting game genre, WWE 2K isn’t the first series to come to mind for most people. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs. Capcom, Tekken, and others are at the forefront. You can draw many differences between these and 2K, but the one we are going to focus on today is ratings.

What do we make of a fighting game that uses player ratings? Die-hard Mortal Kombat fans no doubt have their favorite fighter. Some might choose Scorpion while others are fans of Liu Kang, but these preferences are based more on what moves, combos and fatalities each fighter has.

Wrestling games used to operate the same way. Wrestlers were not given overall ratings, so character selection was based more on what you were feeling at the time. So if you wanted to take on The Undertaker with Spike Dudley, you didn’t feel at a huge disadvantage.

But this has changed in recent years. Even though you could (as I did) argue that WWE 2K is more of a fighting game, it’s typically lumped in with the other sports games, almost all of which focus heavily on ratings. NBA 2K and Madden, for example, promote ratings updates when they are released to users.

Read More - Rating the Ratings in WWE 2K17
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Young Sting at an 87 is a travesty. That guy was miles better than the Ultimate Warrior.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Just like not getting great pushes when they finally came over, Sting and other WCW wrestlers are casualties of not being on the WWF brand in the 90's. A real shame it even affects their game ratings.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rating the Ratings in WWE 2K17

I wouldn't say the ratings are the problem. I would say the actual weight of the ratings which formulate the overall are the problem.

For instance, who cares if Big Show is an 80 while Zach Ryder is an 81. What would really matter is Big Show's strength/grapple damage rating (which should be high) against Zach Ryder's speed and striking rating (my perfect wrestling game would also have bans on moves that would be impossible to do.)

Just telling me that Big Show is an 80 OVR and Zach Ryder is an 81 doesn't justify the label of disservice to Big Show. Look at the individual ratings that make up the overall and justify it. Then we can have a discussion.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39
Re: Rating the Ratings in WWE 2K17

The issue is there is basically NO variance from SuperStar to Mid-Carder. There needs to be more of a gap between the best and the rest.

It is that simple

Unlike the NBA, there is no need for an OverAll rating because there aren't Trades and rotations in the WWE game.

It would be cool if you saw the profile the same way the NBA side shows Star Ratings for certain skill areas.

For example

Rey Mysterio Jr
Speed: *****
Agility: *****
Flying: *****

Hiroshi Tanahashi
Technique: *****
IQ: *****
Flying: ***

This should be the way WWE athletes are presented.

Last edited by DC; 02-22-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
Rookie

Blackwood Bully's Arena

OVR: 1
I usually do NJPW universe and I always edit the wrestlers to where I think they should be. It takes a while to do so, but it's worth it as the Universe is a lot more realistic when it's done.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplesChampGB
I wouldn't say the ratings are the problem. I would say the actual weight of the ratings which formulate the overall are the problem.

For instance, who cares if Big Show is an 80 while Zach Ryder is an 81. What would really matter is Big Show's strength/grapple damage rating (which should be high) against Zach Ryder's speed and striking rating (my perfect wrestling game would also have bans on moves that would be impossible to do.)

Just telling me that Big Show is an 80 OVR and Zach Ryder is an 81 doesn't justify the label of disservice to Big Show. Look at the individual ratings that make up the overall and justify it. Then we can have a discussion.
Yeah this is on point. Andre is rated an 80 because he is slow as **** and very immobile. However, his strength and power ratings are through the roof. He is one-dimensional which hurts his overall, but the 80 rating is a bit of a misnomer when compared to a jobber who's at a 78 overall because they are middling in all facets.

There could definitely be a better way to reflect these things though, perhaps akin to what DC suggested in his post ^^^
Old 02-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
Rookie

How about a stable Universe mode that makes sense and is fun to play? Then we can talk ratings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > WWE 2K and Other Wrestling Games »