Home

MLB The Show 17 Road to the Show Details

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Road to the Show Details within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 17 Road to the Show Details

RTTS is what lured me to start playing this game 7 years ago. I'm thrilled with the changes this year...and can't wait to play!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #18
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

Really interested to see what they do with the decision making stuff as baseball isn't a game that obviously fits that sort of system, teams kind of own you and you don't really have a whole lot of say in what they do with you for a long, long time. It would be cool if the decisions you make lead to getting different quirks and that sort of thing (although I've not seen any obvious ones that would apply, but if they had some kind of "team player" or "looks after number one" it would be pretty cool.)

I think RTTS has so much potential now they're opening up this sort of thing. I was kind of hoping they'd ditched the cheats/perks you unlock for getting your stats to certain levels, but you can just ignore them I suppose.

Very interested by is saying "earn and equip various stat boosting equipment". Does that mean they are gettable via in game sponsorships and decisions you make, instead of being buyable with stubs in the DD market place? As that would be a very nice addition if so, I'm all for you earning things in the mode that they apply to.

Just a personal point along those lines, but I wouldn't mind in the future seeing an overhaul to the way you level up, so perhaps instead of getting to chose what attributes to improve, they improved based on what you did well? Same goes for acquiring traits (hit well in night games, get the "night game" trait, hit for good power, get a power boost etc etc). Make the whole mode about the choices you make and the way you play.

The mode has so much potential, baseball is suited to it like no other sports game

Last edited by BigOscar; 03-14-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #19
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Definitely interested to hear more about this. Usually RTTS is just a tide me over type mode for me (while I wait for or work on rosters for franchise), as logic issues and what feels like a relatively disconnected experience tend to get me burned out before I get too far in (for example, for me the tone/feel of the mode shines in the minors, especially the very beginning of my career, but fizzles out at the MLB level).

If the RPG elements meaningfully impact not only the ambience of my career but the trajectory of it, it should make things much more engaging over the long haul for me. I'm also interested to see what, if any, logic/AI changes were made to coincide with the story stuff and flesh out things like training, goals, contracts, etc.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #20
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

I hope we can have different personalities. NBA2K has just one, you being a dick. Madden doesn't have a story mode but if anyone has played Madden 17 your player gets focused on after every play and he struts around after every positive play like he's John Travolta winning a SB. Very annoying..

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock
Old 03-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #21
Rookie

Threeebs's Arena

OVR: 8

Though I've been full franchise mode the last couple of years, I did enjoy RTTS throughly before that but did quickly get bored with it mostly because it got stale but also trade logic really drove me crazy. there was no team continuity.

The addition of the showcase a couple years back was top notch in my opinion so I'm really hoping that's still in and if so that with this new RPG addition will more than likely reel me back into the mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #22
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjr33
I did a closing pitcher RTTS a few years ago. It was really fun b/c I was able to fly through seasons. I was attempting to break Rivera's record for saves.

I have a closer too but my issue is that if you are a closer on a bad team then your opportunity to earn training points can be pretty sparse.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
I have a closer too but my issue is that if you are a closer on a bad team then your opportunity to earn training points can be pretty sparse.
That is Character building, take those lumps like a man and sit idly by while you waste away your talents in Cleveland.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #24
Rookie

Chad0034's Arena

OVR: 2

I've always thought it would be awesome if focused a little bit on your players youth, instead of coming right in as a draftee.

Imagine the game putting you in a scenario in little league (bases loaded with 2 outs in a game swaying position), and playing just one at bat. That one at bat could effect certain statistics of your characters attributes down the road (batting clutch, etc).

Of course it would take a ton of code to do the young players and such, but could be a really amazing experience and connect you to your character much more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »