Home

Old Time Hockey Interview and PC System Requirements

This is a discussion on Old Time Hockey Interview and PC System Requirements within the Other Hockey Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #17
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Old Time Hockey Interview and PC System Requirements

Review from Brian Wiedey, AKA Pastapadre: 2.5 out of 5 stars.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sp...71a6nfzcwogfkn
Old 03-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #18
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

I give the game a 3.5 out of 5.

Here is what it does well

1. It presents itself well. You're not going to "dangle, snipe celly" like in the NHL series. So far I haven't had to. The AI isn't any better (not sure it's worse) than EA's NHL series. It is a throwback to the olden days of video game hockey, and it plays like it. It's a mix between Blades of Steel and NHL 93.

2. It's fun. You can pick up and play this game, especially if you know what you're getting. It's a 12 dollar indie developed game. If you're expecting anything comparable to EA's game you're not going to enjoy it. The game is fun, I'm enjoying laying some really arcadey over the top hip checks. I managed to take out my own player and a ref with one. I took out two opposing players with one hip check and got a breakaway out of it. It's fun.

3. Small details. Every player is named they even have cards you collect in the story mode that have career stats and tidbits (Meowsef Stalin FTW). The organ music is nice, the soundtrack goes great with the theme of the game.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #19
MVP

Cletus's Arena

Here is part 2!

The bad:
1. AI- It's terrible on defense. I don't think that is a bad thing, sure it can be frustrating for your team, but I don't remember defense being great in the SNES/Genesis years of NHL, which this game is trying to replicate. Your defenders won't defend, but you can just blow them up with a hip or a poke and be on your way. On Offense, the AI doesn't really cycle, they play very much like a 16 bit era offense does(did? whatever). Are you sensing a theme here?

2. Input lag -- This is terrible and the worst aspect of the game. I'm hoping it can be fixed via patch. You can not do a one timer and there is quite a bit of lag when you pick up the puck. It's rather frustrating, but I do not consider it gamebreaking. Some may, and if you think you're that kind of person and 12 bucks means a lot to you, then it would be reason to wait for a sale/patch

3. Faceoffs and tutorial mode-- Faceoffs are extremely difficult for me and it's tied into the story mode. The first month or so of games have tutorial missions that will let you unlock the advanced control scheme. I think this is a terrible idea, but I heard there is a code to unlock it without the tutorial missions. Faceoffs are completely timing based and I have yet to master it. The CPU is unrelenting and perfect with their timing. There is also nothing to tell you if you were early or late. It stinks and I hope they make faceoffs easier especially for newer players

With improvements this game could be a 4 or maybe a 4.5 out of 5. It's fun and it reminds me of playing Blades of Steel. There's line brawls, blood and a lot of goofy stuff. I will say it does a better job of representing Slap Shot style minor league hockey than EA's series does of NHL hockey. It's 12 bucks and that's the perfect price point for it. There is no online, maybe with support that will come soon. I've wasted more money on games I've had less fun with. If I had to compare it to another game out, it would be a less refined version of Super Mega Baseball.

Last edited by Cletus; 03-28-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:34 PM   #20
Banned

ejf0255's Arena

OVR: 0

Well. Good News = Its only 12 bucks. It is not terrible. It is fun to play. Besides faceoffs I enjoy the game.

Bad News: It is 12 bucks. I will say for first game out of the blue. It is a great game. Don't expect NHL 17 or even 2K10 but it is actually good enough to have fun.

Anyone get it for PC and screw with it yet ? If you can edit it I would like to see the end results.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf0255
Well. Good News = Its only 12 bucks. It is not terrible. It is fun to play. Besides faceoffs I enjoy the game.

Bad News: It is 12 bucks. I will say for first game out of the blue. It is a great game. Don't expect NHL 17 or even 2K10 but it is actually good enough to have fun.

Anyone get it for PC and screw with it yet ? If you can edit it I would like to see the end results.

is it fun like hitz pro? where the goals had a lot of variety?? or is it pretty much same type of way youre scoring?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
is it fun like hitz pro? where the goals had a lot of variety?? or is it pretty much same type of way youre scoring?
Puck physics, gameplay responsiveness and animations are not in the same league as HITZ pro. The puck kind of floats off the stick when you shoot, there are a few awkward/missing animations and switching/controlling dmen seems laggy and random.

If you go into old time hockey with the "it's a clunky, quirky $12 flash game" vs "is this anything like hitz pro" you will be less likely to be disappointed.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #23
Banned

ejf0255's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
Its more like an cross of NHL 94 and NHL Hits but it misses both. Not a bad game but I have found HUGE issue in Story Mode (career mode) at game 4 where it crashes completely. So now I cannot recommend it any longer... Shame it would be great for a game night Beer Mode (any handed gaming) could be a blast...

Old 03-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #24
Banned

ejf0255's Arena

Anyone finding the demons in Story Mode ? My keeps crashing. Completely at game 4 !!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games »