Home

NHL 17 Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #697
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NHL 17 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb625
If I got it the intention would be to play it for a while. Probably won't get 18, especially for 60 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Operation Sports mobile app
In that case, $30 is a great investment.
And I think skipping every other release is a sound strategy for all sports games.

Sent from my LG-K210 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #698
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Popped this in the PS4 for the first time in a couple of weeks and not sure what happened, but the game felt SO FAST. I had it playing really well before I was distracted by the Switch and Zelda. Last night was just straight up-and-down from me and the CPU with no neutral zone play at all.

I wonder if my settings somehow changed? I know that's happened before. The game was playing really well before the break.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 04-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #699
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18

Ended up getting it for 20 bucks after it went down again. Enjoying it. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Operation Sports mobile app
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 04-23-2017, 05:53 PM   #700
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Popped this in the PS4 for the first time in a couple of weeks and not sure what happened, but the game felt SO FAST. I had it playing really well before I was distracted by the Switch and Zelda. Last night was just straight up-and-down from me and the CPU with no neutral zone play at all.

I wonder if my settings somehow changed? I know that's happened before. The game was playing really well before the break.
Did you stop playing before the newest tuner set? I'm not very happy with the latest tuner, the game seems to play a lot different.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #701
Rookie

nyr30's Arena

OVR: 5

The game is trash, all the same crap that was in previous instalments of the series are in NHL 17.

The ai is horrendous and basic things like loose pucks are a chore because user ai players just stand around and don't seem to even realise there is a loose puck right at their feet. On the other hand the cpu ai has no such issues and is like a magnet to their sticks which means you are always fighting like a dog to get even the tinyiest scraps of good fortune.

The controls feel sluggish and unresponsive. Again the cpu ai is capable of zipping the puck around at speeds the user is unable to do. Speaking of things that the cpu is able to do but user team cannot, keeping the puck in the zone, I've seen full force slap shots out of the zone just stopped dead by the cpu. This is of course when the cpu is in all out attack mode and it's getting ready to score. Again user players team don't do this, they just watch the puck fly by like they don't know what they should be doing.

I was 11-9-2 in my NYR franchise using al tito's sliders and I just thought to hell with this crap, why am I wasting my time with it so deleted off my PS4 as I had bought it digitally.

If you can get it cheap it may be worth a purchase but otherwise I'd stay away if you want to keep your sanity.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #702
Rookie

OVR: 4

I've been playing this series since 93, this entire generation has been disappointing and frustrating.

I started the playoffs in my GM mode and there is absolutely no playoff atmosphere, that along with the generic introductions ("the home team is playing really great lately, what do you think?") makes for an incredibly bland presentation. The last gen versions were way better, the playoffs felt like the playoffs with the crowd jacked up. This years version is just so dull.

The gameplay itself is way too fast on 0 game speed, like others have said, it was much better when the game first came out, but something has been changed and now it's just way too fast.

The most annoying thing about this game to me is the passing. Passes that go nowhere where I want them to go happen waaaaaay too often. I've been playing this game since 93 and I've never had this happen so much. It's to the point that it ruins the game for me when I'm trying to move the puck around and it goes to a player that I didn't want to pass to that isn't even near the direction I pushed to. For example, 3 on two rush, I push down to drop it to the trailer, but it passes it across to the other high man, making for an easy interception by the D.

I just don't understand why NHL Legacy on PS3 has a way more immersive be a gm and game atmosphere compared to NHL 17 on PS4. I really think that NHL Legacy is by far the better game, unless there are vast improvements to this game I doubt I will by it again.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #703
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Hate to be this guy right now but re: crowd chants, another year of "Go Wings Go!" instead of "Let's Go Red Wings!" smgdh.
How did this post not get a single like? Guessing it'll be the same next year! SMGDH!
Old 07-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #704
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

OVR: 0

I love good, clean design and the menu system for NHL 17 was excellent. I'm sitting here looking at the Draft Champions selection screen and Madden could honestly learn a lot from the lack of clutter and simplicity. Not quite as keen on the franchise section but not bad. I'm not sure it's something 99% of folks care about but I'm a design guy so props to EA on this occasion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »