Home

What does Live 14 need to do to compete with 2K?

This is a discussion on What does Live 14 need to do to compete with 2K? within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
What does Live 14 need to do to compete with 2K?

I think it's a given Live won't surpass 2K in terms of sales because of the fact that most people will continue to buy 2K, but after these years, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed with the BS present in 2K games, such as cherry picking (having omer asik throwing full court bombs with success), dunk animation that makes it impossible to block a dunked shot, dumb AI, etc.

So, I want this game to actually good, better than 2K even. The gameplay fluidity looks better than 2K, but I don't see how they can compete with 2K's commentary , and presentation, character models, etc.

So, is it even likely that Live 14 will be somewhat successful and compete with 2K?

*Bonus- Uncle Drew should be an unlockable player in Live 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: What does Live 14 need to do to compete with 2K?

I think they needed to make a good impression with this release if they are going to compete with 2k down the line.

They are really going to have to listen to their consumers instead of developing what they "think" we want.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 14

I'm goin redbox Live, if nothing else just to play a different company's version of bball.
I'm a pretty big fan of 2K bball and I have already preordered 2k14.
Personally, the only way I think Live can compete with 2K this year, is for EA to make an almost bug-free game. It doesn't have to have to be on the same level in presentation, commentary or even gameplay as 2K.

The only game I buy annually from EA is NCAA fball. I'm afraid to play sometimes because I'm afraid I might catch a bug from it haha.
Live doesn't have to be great or groundbreaking. Just make a game that can serve as the foundation for next-gen.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

Live 14 can compete with 2k if they deliver a simulation game. Presentation wise they are on par with 2k because of the ESPN integration. If the live ball works, the dribbling will be lightyears ahead of 2k's. The real-time physics that comes with the Ignite Engine is already better than 2k, unless 2k has secretly built a new engine (which is hard to believe considering that they haven't improved many gameplay issues since 2k10).

In my opinion, Live 14 will compete as long as it doesn't completely strike out, and I dont see that happening because everything sounds so good so far. We haven't had a really great basketball game since 2k9 (totally subjective as far as preference, but true as far as simulation goes).

Then if you consider all of the things EA already has like GameFace, probably the EASBL (safe guess considering the fact that FIFA and NHL have it), Ultimate Team, Live 14 really has potential to be great.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof
Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
Live 14 can compete with 2k if they deliver a simulation game. Presentation wise they are on par with 2k because of the ESPN integration.
IDK man, EA has had ESPN in NCAA for years now and the presentation is
just
so
blah
compared to The Show and 2K bball
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickbeast
IDK man, EA has had ESPN in NCAA for years now and the presentation is
just
so
blah
compared to The Show and 2K bball
The Show has great presentation, but 2k? They had way better presentation on last gen. There hasn't been anything special about 2ks presentation since 2k9 when the commentators were standing court side pregame.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof
Old 07-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Just release the damn game good, bad or indifferent.

You'll always get the Live loyalists, the anti-2Kers and curious folk to buy it.

Then bust your *** on making Live '15 with no excuses.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 2

Release a game... Live 10 to me is still a better game than anything 2k has to offer.
Control? Live has much better movement and the controls are perfect. Signature? The shooting passing and dribbling is better in 10. Presentation? Kerr and marv were awesome and I swear im still hearing new stuff. They had endless commentary. Player models? 2k's are boxy football players whereas live I can tell who is who and they all shoot and move accordingly. Should I go on... The blocked shots, the rebounding, the paint defense and contact.

I just rented 2k 13 again to give it another chance and I couldn't handle 5 mins of it. I don't see the hype for that game at all.

Last edited by Sirs; 07-26-2013 at 02:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »