Home

2K Sports should be embarrassed by this game.

This is a discussion on 2K Sports should be embarrassed by this game. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

OVR: 0
2K Sports should be embarrassed by this game.

I am a long-time fan of this series... I've been playing it since NBA2K on N64. I'm 28 years old and have been watching basketball all my life. I've actually refrained from making this thread several times as I, myself, have told people to quit complaining and play the game several times. I honestly can't stand these threads because it seems we get a million of them every year and people don't ever stop buying the game.

When MyPlayer was introduced in 2K10 my idea of what a basketball game could and should be drastically changed. Before then I only played Association and I would create my PG, put him on the worst team in the league, and build up my team to help me win a championship. I used to get tired of it, restart the season, and try again. I loved the way the game played, but never really got a chance to immerse myself in the experience.

Once MyPlayer came out, that all changed. I've also been a fantasy RPG fan for most of my gaming days and it felt like 2K was combining my 2 favorite genres. When you would pick a team that you wanted to play for and be a walk-on and had to fight for even a spot on the roster - lest you be sent to the d-league - it was an awesome experience.

In comes 2k11 and the rookie combine and the summer league. They honestly improved the experience so much that I would try countless times to get to my Mavericks and be the star on my team to once again try and bring a championship to my favorite team.

The biggest problem, and the reason I kept restarting all the time was that I never understood why my teammates were so horrible. Even though they said they'd improved the AI, the game was just unplayable for the most part. BUT this was the year that you could have all the Jordan dunks so instead of trying to get my player on the Mavs I decided I'd join the Knicks and be the white Jordan in NY. If I was going to have horrible teammates, I'd play on the worst team. Just like in 2K8 and 2K9.

2K12... Not even going to go there.

2K13 - Once again, never understood how my teammate AI was so terrible and found myself playing Blacktop almost exclusively. However, with the introduction of VC and the inability to block dunks I had a sour taste in my mouth almost all year because I was never a rich man and once I eventually maxed out my player I'd ruined the MyCareer experience because it had become too easy. Also, I was playing on PS3 and they never fixed the crashing issue when joining a game with friends. I'd restart my PS3 10 times in a night.

Now, 2K14 for PS3 was fun for a bit... But I was playing the same game as last year with blocked dunks and felt anxious the whole time because the PS4 was coming out and I just never got settled.

Once I finally got my copy for PS4 I was thrilled at first. I spent 2 weeks straight on the game and most exclusively on the Park. I made some friends, maxed out my player with $10 to even the odds and less than a month later became bored.

There's simply no excuse for how horrible the gameplay has deteriorated over the years. The players on 2k11 felt so much more fluid and defense was so much better that I don't understand how or why it's gotten so bad.

Remember the Pick and Roll on 2k11? It was so easy, right on d-pad and X. It was SO effective that my older brother decided to make a point one night and beat me on 12 minute quarters by running the pick and roll almost every play. It sucked... but in myplayer it was so useful for a SG or PG to run the offense since plays have always been broken.

But this year, my player feels like he's in quicksand. He misses shots he should make. He flogs dunks when the lane is wide open because the computer feels like I'm about to make a run. The worst players online are Gods because they have a maxed out 3 and the most effective releases in the world. Combine that with Deadeye and Shotcreator and literally all they have to do to win on the Park is jack 3's right in your face. You can be standing right in front of them and they'll still make 60% of those shots. Balls come off the rim and sail right over your head when you're boxing out and go right to the other team if they've had a run the last 2 possessions. There's so much wrong with the game that for the first time in 14 years I'm done playing for this year. This has never happened for me.

In all the times that I've restarted I've found reasons to keep playing. I've decided that this year's iteration is so awful and the fact that we have so much better hardware than iterations past, it's literally an insult to us as a consumer.

There is a bevy of problems that have been mentioned before and in greater detail, but the point that I'm trying to make is that how in the hell does the series get WORSE over time? Madden's issue is that they don't improve enough every year, not that it gets worse because the company is greedy and they know you're going to buy it anyway. They don't have their VC for every single game mode and make it so hard to come by that people have to buy it or cheat to get it.

We as consumers should, but won't boycott this game and I think that is an injustice to the people who have been loyal to this franchise year in and year out. We're the reason they don't have any serious competition anymore and they just don't care.

If you're like me, I'll be sad to see anyone buy next year's game unless they re-vamp the ai, give Association players their control they've been complaining about all year, give us Crew, and tone down the cost of VC.

I can't even change my socks this year.

Wtf is that?

Come on 2k...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: 2K Sports should be embarrassed by this game.

NBA2k was not on N64......just saying......
Old 06-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10

2K should be ashamed.... But that would require them to have a heart so no.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Pro

Rubio809's Arena

Really? I thought 2K13 was pretty solid WITH the right sliders/rosters.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Yeah, this. You lost me there, sounds like you're trying too hard. The game has a ton of problems and 2k needs to step up no doubt. But you sound like you're trying too hard to make yourself sound like a hardcore 2k player. And this is coming from someone who played it since it was on dreamcast with allen iverson on the cover, back when you had to use the triggers to center the bars around the ball to shoot free throws. Free throw shooting was soo much harder back then lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
You're right. Lol guess I'm getting that old. Got it confused with live 2000. Funny thing is I've been saying this for years. Buddy had a dream cast so that's where the mix up was I guess.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Banned

bo.jangles344's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
Yeah, this. You lost me there, sounds like you're trying too hard. The game has a ton of problems and 2k needs to step up no doubt. But you sound like you're trying too hard to make yourself sound like a hardcore 2k player. And this is coming from someone who played it since it was on dreamcast with allen iverson on the cover, back when you had to use the triggers to center the bars around the ball to shoot free throws. Free throw shooting was soo much harder back then lol.
Yep. Trying too hard. Got me.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
TGG
Rookie

Your right and nba 2k3 seems untill now still the most realistisch game, after that it went downhill

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »