Home

Anyone else going back to (or sticking with) FIFA 16?

This is a discussion on Anyone else going back to (or sticking with) FIFA 16? within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2016, 04:38 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Anyone else going back to (or sticking with) FIFA 16?

I thought FIFA 17 seemed like quite a decent game when I first got it, I was pleasantly surprised at some of the improvements they'd made.

But then that first patch hit and I instantly realised 'I don't have time for this endless rabbit hole for another year'. Just when you think you've tweaked the game and all sliders to your liking, EA release another patch and all your previous work was almost literally as good as worthless. The same thing happens a month or two later, and then again, and then again...

I don't mean for this to sound like a rant, it's not. I'm not 'angry' about it, I've just realised that's unfortunately the way EA/FIFA is at the moment - they cater to a very fickle/casual FUT crowd which is unfortunately only ever going to hinder players like me that only enjoy offline modes.

I then thought, hey, only a few months ago after the final patch for FIFA 16, I managed to craft it into what is as close to a 'perfect' football game as possible (obviously no football game will ever be truly perfect). If I were to start a fresh career back on FIFA 16, I could rest assured that EA definitely won't be releasing any more game-breaking patches and the game I'm playing now will be exactly the same as the game I'm playing this time next summer.

I was just curious if anyone else had had a similar epiphany? I really can't be bothered to spend as much time tweaking the game as I do actually playing it, I just want to start a realistic career mode and that's that. Come next February or March when FIFA 17 is a little more 'stable' and perhaps I'll make the transition, but for the time being FIFA 16 is easily going to be the more consistently enjoyable experience for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
Rookie

BSDShoes's Arena

Re: Anyone else going back to (or sticking with) FIFA 16?

FIFA 17 is receiving an awful lot of hate after the patch, my time with FIFA 17 has dropped and time with PES 2017 increased. FUT is all EA cares about and won't do anything about the mass flood of bots on PC version.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Rookie

Yeah switching over to PES really did cross my mind as it'd be quite nice to have an up to date game. I might try and play the demo a bit more to see if making the switch would be worthwhile.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
Banned

i feel you, man. sounds a lot like my last experience building a slider set, which was in fifa 14. lots of work and frustration tweaking sliders, then when i was almost getting there, a patch comes and messes everything. then at one point i almost give up, try pes but can't stand what i don't like about it, go back to fifa which at this point looks more like a job than a pasttime, and it goes on...

but in the end, i had to live with it. the final patch made the game much better than the first release and it's probably what will happen this time too (i bet more patches will come, as this one didn't have a very good reception).

honestly, this kept me from getting newer versions and starting all of this over again, instead of just launching fifa 14 and playing a game that at this point is very enjoyable for me and from which i don't have anything else to nitpick about. god bless you for keeping it updated, modders.

anyway, whenever i get a future version of fifa, i'll probably purchase it only some two months after the release to avoid wasting my time trying to fix a game that will be patched soon after.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonira
i feel you, man. sounds a lot like my last experience building a slider set, which was in fifa 14. lots of work and frustration tweaking sliders, then when i was almost getting there, a patch comes and messes everything. then at one point i almost give up, try pes but can't stand what i don't like about it, go back to fifa which at this point looks more like a job than a pasttime, and it goes on...

but in the end, i had to live with it. the final patch made the game much better than the first release and it's probably what will happen this time too (i bet more patches will come, as this one didn't have a very good reception).

honestly, this kept me from getting newer versions and starting all of this over again, instead of just launching fifa 14 and playing a game that at this point is very enjoyable for me and from which i don't have anything else to nitpick about. god bless you for keeping it updated, modders.

anyway, whenever i get a future version of fifa, i'll probably purchase it only some two months after the release to avoid wasting my time trying to fix a game that will be patched soon after.
Fairly wise approach.

Combine that with some of the principles of competitive gameplay in a video game to its corollary in real life: it's not like the rules of football change every year, so why do we need a brand new game every year?

Simply put, it's all a cynical cash grab for nonsense and gimmicks.

When I was finished with FIFA 16, I was extremely happy with it. FIFA 17 was immediately gross to me. Now, I really prefer PES 2017 and the fact I can customize the hell out of it on a CONSOLE is just bonkers to me.

I uninstalled FIFA 16 and regret it. My career was in its 7th season and I was having a damn good time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
Rookie

Yep, I've decided I'm just gonna update the summer transfers for my chosen Career team (Brentford), then try and do a really lengthy and realistic career with them in FIFA 16.

Try and aim for 7-10 seasons, lots of focus on youth players, only making realistic signings etc and hopefully eventually taking them all the way.

As opposed to spending half as much time tweaking sliders as I would on actual gameplay if I were to try and keep up with 17.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #7
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixer
Yep, I've decided I'm just gonna update the summer transfers for my chosen Career team (Brentford), then try and do a really lengthy and realistic career with them in FIFA 16.

Try and aim for 7-10 seasons, lots of focus on youth players, only making realistic signings etc and hopefully eventually taking them all the way.

As opposed to spending half as much time tweaking sliders as I would on actual gameplay if I were to try and keep up with 17.
That's kinda what I fear, that I'd spend a ton of time with sliders on 17 and by the end of the cycle, I'd be like, "I almost enjoy this as much as I enjoyed FIFA 16!"

Sadly, I uninstalled FIFA 16 and bought 17. The animations in 17 alone are enough to keep me away from it. I just can't for the life of me justify how bad they are...FLAP FLAP FLAP FLAP FLAP, bunch of mindless turkeys running around trying to take flight.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
Banned

if you like the core gameplay of 16 better than 17, then it's a no brainer.

i had this same dillema when 14 was launched, because i was happy with 13 already and didn't want to spend weeks/months scratching my head with sliders instead of having fun, but i liked 14's gameplay so much more that i had to go for it. if it wasn't for that, no way i'd do it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »