Home

How does Button Accuracy actually work?

This is a discussion on How does Button Accuracy actually work? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 24
How does Button Accuracy actually work?

I am playing RTTS for the first time in a while this year, and I decided I would use button accuracy, which I've never used before.

But I realized I have no idea how the mode actually works, and there is no explanation or information on it anywhere within the game. I checked the "controls," and "strategy guide" sections and neither explain the mechanics themselves.

So how does it work? The accuracy part is pretty obvious, but what dictates the strength of the throw, or how quickly (not how hard) the fielder throws the ball? Is there anything else I need to know about this mode as a new user?

Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: How does Button Accuracy actually work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I am playing RTTS for the first time in a while this year, and I decided I would use button accuracy, which I've never used before.

But I realized I have no idea how the mode actually works, and there is no explanation or information on it anywhere within the game. I checked the "controls," and "strategy guide" sections and neither explain the mechanics themselves.

So how does it work? The accuracy part is pretty obvious, but what dictates the strength of the throw, or how quickly (not how hard) the fielder throws the ball? Is there anything else I need to know about this mode as a new user?

Thanks
I think strength is automatic - determined by ratings and situation. It almost has to be because the PS4 controller's buttons aren't pressure sensitive, and strength isn't related to the length of the press either because that's what defines accuracy.

The quickness of the release should be determined by humanity AI like with the other modes - the fielder knows how much time he has to make the throw and will have a more casual throwing animation the more time he has.

I guess the one other thing to know about this mode is that it's the only one that gets to use the new catcher throwing meter on steal attempts.

I personally don't use it much - I'm an analog fielder - so if anyone else has something feel free to chime in.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

The strength is determined by the length of time the throw button is being held. Your accuracy portion will shrink the longer you hold the button for stronger throws. The accuracy size, location and needle speed are affected by the fielder's accuracy attributes. Throw distance and difficulty will also affect the meter.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
The strength is determined by the length of time the throw button is being held. Your accuracy portion will shrink the longer you hold the button for stronger throws. The accuracy size, location and needle speed are affected by the fielder's accuracy attributes. Throw distance and difficulty will also affect the meter.
I'll defer to nem on this.

And on further inspection he's right about the green part of the meter getting smaller - I never noticed that! Maybe it's just easier for me to see now that it's in 60 FPS - it's a pretty small size change, but it's there.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
So for strong throws you want to hit the back end of the green?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
So for strong throws you want to hit the back end of the green?
I usually shoot for the latter portion of the accuracy window.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Weird...

Wouldn't that lead to an awkward delay while I wait to time the accuracy on a "stronger" throw? Like the only way to hit the green on the first pass is to throw at the weakest strength.

I'll have to experiment with that.

Thanks though.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #8
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Weird...

Wouldn't that lead to an awkward delay while I wait to time the accuracy on a "stronger" throw? Like the only way to hit the green on the first pass is to throw at the weakest strength.

I'll have to experiment with that.

Thanks though.
It's a risk reward type situation, depending on the circumstances and the player some may require you to hold past the accuracy point for a max throw. Where your better fielders will power up quicker and throw more accurately.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »