Home
News Post

The NHL is back, do you care?

Member Comments
# 21 Hellfish76 @ 07/29/05 03:27 PM
As if my Avatar wasn't enough of an answer, yes!

I can't wait to see them fight for the right to hoist this trophy again!

# 22 Eski33 @ 07/29/05 04:21 PM
Although the teams will be losing key players due to the new salary cap system, I am ready for some hockey. It will be odd to see McCarty in a uniform other than the Wings'....

# 23 Jistic @ 07/29/05 04:29 PM
I live in Chicago, so I didn't even realize Hockey was gone for a year.

# 24 spacefunk @ 07/29/05 05:37 PM
I have no other choice but to care because we in the Burgh are getting a player that's better than Gretsky, Lemieux, and Jesus Christ combined. According to the so called experts around here.

# 25 kennyacid @ 07/29/05 06:02 PM
Heck nah i dont care. I dont like the concept of a stick hitting a "black" puck

nah Im glad it back, i miss the fights. Thats the only reason why i played hockey.

# 26 DrJones @ 07/29/05 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBomber
THe NHL used to be about players who had a quiet nobility about them. If you know anything about the game, you understand that it is likely one of the most physically demanding and that the Stanley Cup Playoffs are more akin to a war of attrition than anything else found in pro sports.

Hockey players were the good guys. The nice guys who would fight like hell on the ice and then go for a beer together afterwards. They were the kinds of guys that you showed your kids and said, "That's a good way to be"

Something unpalatable started happening to pro hockey and the players that played it in around 10 to 15 years ago. They started to change. Oh sure, it wasn't immediately apparent, but if you blinked you could see it when you re-focused that something about the game was changing in a way that wasn't very good. There are a lot of reasons, some blamed the ice surface, some blamed the rules, some blamed expansion, some blamed the owners. There was blame, everywhere, to go around.

As the game changed and became a whole lot more ugly, the players seemed to also reflect that self-same quality. Suddenly, hockey players weren't the noble "warrior-poets" that, at least, I remembered. Suddenly they were guys like Alexei Yashin, playing when it suited him. Suddenly, they were guys like Chris Pronger and Jeremy Roenick, mouthing off like the fans somehow owed them and were beneath them. Suddenly the face of hockey was Todd Bertuzzi, doing things in the name of "The Code" that were beneath honour and used the mystical ambiguities of that term to, somehow, try to rationalize a brutality that, at its core, was not about sportsmanship or the game, but about agenda and heinous violence.

I played hockey for a good portion of my life. Hockey is core to Canada as a pursuit. It defines Canadians and is intricately woven through the fabric of the Canadian experiences of culture and identity. My family was involved with the NHL Oldtimers when guys from the Golden Age were fighting with the NHL and the NHLPA to have something other than memories to see them through their retirements. I've met a great many players from yesteryear and today and, as such, have some basis for comparing those generations. The new guys just don't cut it for me.

I turned off Gary Bettman's and Bob Goodenow's NHL in 2002. The game was hideous. The organization was hideous. The spirit was hideous. And the players were hideous. Sure there may be some good guys in the bunch, found in any of the camps responsible for the NHL and its product, but they are few and far between. Many of them will soon be retired. The NHL won't be back on my radar for any time that I can foresee. I have been successfully disenfranchised from the product and the personalities. To me, it is all a crappy mess. They have a long way to go to prove that it is anything but that to me, and I have other things to do.

Maybe if more "fans" were less like robotic drones and more like an enlightened market of consumers, then they would then be able to convey to the NHL that the brand needs rework through the only media that the NHL and NHLPA understands -- through their profits and losses. Maybe then, realistic and compelling change in the game could occur. But from the comments I see here, I only sense relief amongst the "drones", so happy to to receive whatever scraps he NHL offers from its table, as long as it means that Ron and Don can be seen on Coach's Corner in around 8:15 PM every Saturday night

Just because the NHL says it's the best game of hockey in town, doesn't mean that they're right.

Have fun.............
True, the NHL has been a mess for the last 10 years following the golden era of 1979-94. That's why most Canadians supported the lockout. The league needed to be rebuilt -- salaries needed to be reduced to sane levels, rule changes needed to be implemented that would promote offensive skills and punish conservative hockey, competitive balance needed to be restored. To me, the NHL has gone a long way towards accomplishing this. I wish they had chopped 4-6 teams (Carolina, Atlanta, Nashville, Florida, Anaheim, Phoenix, I'm looking at you), but it's a start.

# 27 ChubbyBanana @ 07/31/05 03:12 PM
Go NHL!

I love it

# 28 Bird006 @ 07/31/05 07:00 PM
No.

# 29 jmood88 @ 07/31/05 08:09 PM
No.

# 30 Brandwin @ 07/31/05 10:19 PM
No. Didnt even notice it being gone. I dont watch the highlights on Sportscenter and dont follow it much at all. I like playing the video games, but thats about it.

# 31 SuperBowlNachos @ 08/01/05 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roster19
t's also pretty sad that a hockey rink is over 50% bigger than an Arena football field(80ft vs 50ft).
The arena field is 50 yds x 25 yds(150 ft x 75 ft).

# 32 ehh @ 08/01/05 11:58 AM
I care because I'm pissed it's back, that's because it's gonna waste more time on SC showing hockey highlights again this winter instead of tons of college hoops and NBA action.

I don't know one person who's excited about the NHL coming back. Maybe we're all just bitter of the Whalers still.

# 33 RoyceDa59 @ 08/02/05 11:29 PM
Its goo to see another sport back, I never gotten into to Hockey but its god to see it back.

# 34 Matt Diesel @ 08/07/05 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
...but its god to see it back.
Indeed it is my friend. Indeed it is.

# 35 Pappy Knuckles @ 08/07/05 08:36 PM
hockey is a horrible sport. it's a damn shame that it's back.

# 36 cooldude @ 08/07/05 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustSatellite
Go NHL!

I love it
My thoughts exactly.

# 37 bjf1377 @ 08/08/05 12:20 PM
I was more or less indifferent, but as I was browsing CBS Sportsline and I got all excited when I saw the Bluejackets resigned Rick Nash. So I do care.

# 38 Badgun @ 08/08/05 07:04 PM
Didn't care before...care even less now.

# 39 Timathie @ 08/09/05 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roster19
Yes! The NHL's gonna have lots of scoring now, maybe even too much. I hope the NHL doesn't become the AFL on ice. It's a little stupid to be able to score on one play with ease in Arena football. It's also pretty sad that a hockey rink is over 50% bigger than an Arena football field(80ft vs 50ft).

An AFL Field is the size of a hockey rink. Dont belive me here is the link

http://www.arenafootball.com/ViewArt...=&ATCLID=99180

198 feet by 85 feet

Tim

# 40 jetsfever4ever @ 08/10/05 09:51 AM
i voted no because i dislike the NHL. i mean, sure ill go to a game here or there if i get cheap tickets w/ my friends but i mean, cmon, it is boring to see them skate back and forth on this small rink. i mean, curling is even more exciting to watch.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.