Home
News Post

I've been playing the final retail version of Madden NFL 07 for the Xbox 360, and was trying out the new Superstar mode. To my surprise, only three weeks into my season, Hall of Famers started appearing on other teams' rosters.

Sammy Baugh was the Bucs' QB, Paul Warfield was starting opposite Hines Ward in Pittsburgh, and Chuck Bednarik was holding down an outside linebacker spot for the Patriots. Playing more games results in ever more Hall of Famers returning to the league from retirement or beyond the grave.

As I asked the EA Tiburon reps directly if HOFers would/could ever appear in a current Superstar/Franchise mode, and was told directly that they would not (and I stated so in my Community Day thread based on the information I was given), I was surprised to say the least that this was happening.

I spent much of the day doing research into why it's happening, and here's what I've determined thus far:

As best as I can tell, HOFers are tied into the overarching Madden Gamer Level. Even if you delete your roster files and start fresh, the HOFers you've unlocked due to the "MGL" will be instantly re-populated within the roster file as soon as your profile is loaded.

This means that they're in Franchise mode, too. I had 16 of them sitting in my Free Agents list when starting a Franchise with default rosters.

Theoretically, you might be able to avoid this if you didn't use the "MGL", however, that would also mean you could make no settings changes whatsoever and save them - they're all tied into the "Profile", which apparently includes all settings plus the "MGL".

On top of that, if you accomplished enough within the game, you might earn enough points to add HOFers instantly, meaning that if you just played a game and saved it, the newly-added HOFers would be saved into your Franchise roster.

I've contacted EA Tiburon regarding this discrepancy from what I was told at the studio (which was what I reported as fact, as did IGN and other media outlets) and what I am seeing now, and I've been told that I will receive a statement and/or workaround tomorrow sometime in the morning from the Madden team.

I will, of course, keep you apprised in this thread.

Member Comments
# 21 fossen @ 08/16/06 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitDoctor
So, if I disable MGL this won't happen? Can you even disable MGL?
MGL=madden gamer level
As Shawn has reported, you could skip MGL ... but that means you can't save any settings.

If you're willing to play default, and never save a profile/settings/etc. you could bypass the MGL.

# 22 Basketballer238 @ 08/16/06 11:23 AM
this could make the game more challenging

# 23 fossen @ 08/16/06 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketballer238
this could make the game more challenging
Definitely!

Adding 10 or more 99+ rated QBs into the NFL? All those teams with a questionable running back now fielding the likes of Walter Payton?

Challenging, definitely ... not realistic in the least.

# 24 aholbert32 @ 08/16/06 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossen
As Shawn has reported, you could skip MGL ... but that means you can't save any settings.

If you're willing to play default, and never save a profile/settings/etc. you could bypass the MGL.
Mark,

This is where im confused. From my understanding, you get Madden Points during every game you play. Couldnt you make a profile, save your settings (sliders and difficulty level), and just never save your profile after a game? That way your Madden points are never saved.

Shawn, correct me if im wrong.

# 25 mexmarkjen @ 08/16/06 12:01 PM
I'm also confused - nothing new about that. When I play a franchise, I always control all of the teams; that way no trades are made, free agents picked-up, etc. by the computer. If any of that stuff happens in the real NFL, I reflect them in my franchise.

Can you not do this? Why can't you control all 32 teams and that way, no computer generated anything happens???

What am I missing here? Won't this help those who don't want the HOF players automatically put on rosters?

# 26 aholbert32 @ 08/16/06 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmarkjen
I'm also confused - nothing new about that. When I play a franchise, I always control all of the teams; that way no trades are made, free agents picked-up, etc. by the computer. If any of that stuff happens in the real NFL, I reflect them in my franchise.

Can you not do this? Why can't you control all 32 teams and that way, no computer generated anything happens???

What am I missing here? Won't this help those who don't want the HOF players automatically put on rosters?
You play the same way i do. This HOF issue will not be a problem for us. Most people dont play like us though. They choose one team and play multiple seasons with that team. Also in Superstar mode you can only control one team.

# 27 nxt @ 08/16/06 12:04 PM
Man... this was the first time in years that I've gotten so amped for a Madden release. Hopefully, there is some sort of patch or something because, like bad_philanthropy, I'm a sim dynasty guy and this would kill it for me.

# 28 Shaver @ 08/16/06 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
You play the same way i do. This HOF issue will not be a problem for us. Most people dont play like us though. They choose one team and play multiple seasons with that team. Also in Superstar mode you can only control one team.
how do you prevent them from signing them in the off-season? Do you manually control everyone's FA signings? That seems highly cumbersome.

# 29 mwjr @ 08/16/06 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
What if it IS intentional?? For the first time ever, I feel sorry for EA because a few guys are feeling they got burned by this "game killing" bug.
First of all, if this bug is in there, it is simply inexcusable. It's not as if this would be the 1st time this had happened.

Secondly, what, if anything, would EA be able to do for the console games? Recall them all? I doubt that would ever happen.

Third, I don't know that I could ever "feel sorry" for EA, or any other large corporation.

NFL 2K4 had this same problem. Deion Sanders and Michael Irvin, who had already been retired, as well as a number of fictional characters (there was some 450 pound Sumo wrestler who showed up) were unlocked automatically based on achievements. They would then be entered into the Free Agent list, and teams could sign them.

# 30 aholbert32 @ 08/16/06 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_OS
how do you prevent them from signing them in the off-season? Do you manually control everyone's FA signings? That seems highly cumbersome.
I'm a one season guy. I play along with the real nfl season and rarely fool around with the FA stuff. Thats why I'm so anal about games having the feature to control every team.

# 31 nxt @ 08/16/06 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Mark,

This is where im confused. From my understanding, you get Madden Points during every game you play. Couldnt you make a profile, save your settings (sliders and difficulty level), and just never save your profile after a game? That way your Madden points are never saved.

Shawn, correct me if im wrong.
Hmmm... this sounds like it would work in theory. Create an original profile with settings,etc. before starting any games and never save your profile again. Of course, for those that like to keep USER records, they won't be able to view them. Not a biggie for me though. I'm still hoping there's some type of patch released to fix this crap.

# 32 WideRightxxv @ 08/16/06 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
Hmmm... this sounds like it would work in theory. Create an original profile with settings,etc. before starting any games and never save your profile again. Of course, for those that like to keep USER records, they won't be able to view them. Not a biggie for me though. I'm still hoping there's some type of patch released to fix this crap.
That's so crazy that it just might work......just make sure you don't have the setting set at auto-save. I hope they do release a patch on this, they have plenty of time to fix this before the 22nd.

# 33 Ewberdude @ 08/16/06 01:13 PM
This sucks.

But what the hell, I'm signing Barry Sanders.

And once All-Madden difficulty gets too easy, it might be nice to get the extra challenge of playing against Hall of Famers.

At least we can control who WE sign...

Stay Positive,
-Noah

# 34 Foddzy @ 08/16/06 01:33 PM
Wow, just wow...

Hey guys seen that new Madden TV commercial, its great! They must have spent millions where it really matters, advertizing!

# 35 TJdaSportsGuy @ 08/16/06 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foddzy
Wow, just wow...

Hey guys seen that new Madden TV commercial, its great! They must have spent millions where it really matters, advertizing!
Hey Foddzy, you wanted your unlockables, didn't you? Now you've got'em, like it or not!

# 36 #85_on_a_mission @ 08/16/06 01:44 PM
Dam this is messed up and has the potential to be a franchise killer.I hope Ea comes out with a patch by the games release.

On The inside paper view thing EA said the hall of famers would become free agents

# 37 gooberstabone @ 08/16/06 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
Hey Foddzy, you wanted your unlockables, didn't you? Now you've got'em, like it or not!

that... was... AWESOME... haha!

# 38 awj112 @ 08/16/06 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by #85_on_a_mission
Dam this is messed up and has the potential to be a franchise killer.I hope Ea comes out with a patch by the games release.

On The inside pay-per-view thing EA said the hall of famers would become free agents
No patch but the game looks really prety and shiny. Aren't those the most important things?

# 39 Altimus @ 08/16/06 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
Ask and you shall receive.

This is as close as it gets to a game killer for me, I like online leagues and all but mostly its dynasty for me. I don't know the legend count but I hope its not too much. That way by year three most teams won't be stacked.

But hey, they will probably retire after one year, or one can hope.

# 40 Foddzy @ 08/16/06 02:50 PM
Good one TJ, lol!

Well its not exactly what I was asking for haha! I do need to be more careful what I wish for... friggin EA genie is on crack!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.