Home
MLB 2K8 News Post

Matt Blumenthal had an opportunity to demo Major League Baseball 2K8 this afternoon. His official writeup of the event will be up later this week, but we wanted to get some quick thoughts up here for you guys.
  • This game looks beautiful, the player models have improved but the real leap is in the animations. The animations move silky smooth and there is no need to worry about herky jerky animations of the past anymore.
  • I'm impressed with how intuitive and fresh the analog controls are. The pitching takes a little time to get the hang of but the new mechanics add a whole new dimension to the pitching model.
  • The baseball cards feature is surprisingly cool, expect me to have more on that later on this week.
  • In-game saves are officially in the game this year.
  • Check swings don't seem to be a chore anymore. They are now accomplished by pulling back on the right analog stick - no more right trigger necessary.
  • Stadium-specific animations are in. The Yankee Roll Call was mentioned specifically.
  • There should be plenty of foul balls this year. I saw several in the few at-bats I played.
  • No spring training games this year.
  • I counted eight unlockable classic stadiums. I think more might be available by default as well.
  • No co-op play
  • You will have the option to make trades for CPU-controlled teams in franchise mode, but you won't be able to edit their rotations and lineups.
  • It was suggested to me that the demo is done and has been submitted. If that's the case, it's in Microsoft's hands now.
  • I will hit on a few of the big questions from the forum here.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K8Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/26/08 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarlyKing
Yes it was, at least in franchise. You save your franchise in the middle of the game, quit, and when you reload your franchise, it takes you right to the spot you were in the game when you quit.
See you learn something everyday... Thanks

# 42 jrod1981 @ 02/26/08 10:52 AM
Game sounds great!! I'm ready for some cubbie baseball!!!

# 43 ExtremeGamer @ 02/26/08 10:53 AM
Quote:
Yes it was, at least in franchise. You save your franchise in the middle of the game, quit, and when you reload your franchise, it takes you right to the spot you were in the game when you quit.
Yeah, it was one of the features I liked the most about 2K7, should be in all sports games.

# 44 boomhauertjs @ 02/26/08 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Yeah, it was one of the features I liked the most about 2K7, should be in all sports games.
Especially when it takes almost an hour to finish a game.

Is there a quick-manage mode in Franchise and did you get to see it? I haven't played 2k baseball before, but is it like MVP's?

# 45 GnarlyKing @ 02/26/08 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
Especially when it takes almost an hour to finish a game.

Is there a quick-manage mode in Franchise and did you get to see it? I haven't played 2k baseball before, but is it like MVP's?

There was a mode very similar to MVP's manage mode in last year's game. Just like MVP, you could also jump between playing and managing any time.

# 46 Mjphillips @ 02/26/08 11:11 AM
BAT SOUNDS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

# 47 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/26/08 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Duh, still confused.

Okay, prior to the beginning of a franchise game at the lineup screens for both teams.
You won't be able to edit the CPU teams lineup or who is pitching for the day. Correct?

That shouldn't be a problem IF....

You can edit all the roster lineups/pitching staffs during the season (when your not in game day mode). You can do that? Correct?

thanks
Jim, even thought I acknowledge Matt around what he said, I'm still just as confused as you because on the Conference Call BB stated that the User would be able to control CPU lineups as blogged by 20pgaming. Actually here's the exact blog quote again:

Quote:
2:42 PM: CPU teams in franchise mode will go after their needs rather than stock piling talent. Added ability to pick which stadium you want to play in. Can control CPU’s lineup and change it if you’d like it. Experience tailored to player. Minors will be playable in franchise mode.YES GUY WITH CRAP PHONE LEFT. Mark this time down. 18 authentic minor league stadiums in the game. Will people really play the minor league? Seriously?

# 48 BadKermit @ 02/26/08 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
We'll see on the actual game when it's in our hands. Sounds like he only played one inning and the rest was discussed.

This happens every year, everyone gets all hyped for MLB 2K, and it's a huge disappointment. I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like the team worked more on the playing card system than actually improving the gameplay.
Yeah, other than inventing an entirely new pitching system, adding a brand-new fielding throw mechanic, and totally re-writing the hitting code, those guys did NOTHING to improve the gameplay! Lazy buggers.

# 49 boomhauertjs @ 02/26/08 11:22 AM
Quote:
There was a mode very similar to MVP's manage mode in last year's game. Just like MVP, you could also jump between playing and managing any time.
Cool. Thanks.

# 50 TheLetterZ @ 02/26/08 11:26 AM
You can tell the difference between home run contact and a dribbler by the sound.

# 51 Knight165 @ 02/26/08 11:26 AM
Everything sounds good.
I don't know how you could say that the lineup chaos doesn't bother you though. I really don't.
Hopefully they fixed it...but nothing kills the buzz more than getting hyped for a series with the Braves and seeing Chipper batting leadoff.
They said they worked on it a lot...and I have faith they did....it sounds like they laid off the graphic upgrades and worked much harder on gameplay and CPU AI this year.....

M.K.
Knight165

# 52 TheLetterZ @ 02/26/08 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Duh, still confused.

Okay, prior to the beginning of a franchise game at the lineup screens for both teams.
You won't be able to edit the CPU teams lineup or who is pitching for the day. Correct?

That shouldn't be a problem IF....

You can edit all the roster lineups/pitching staffs during the season (when your not in game day mode). You can do that? Correct?

thanks
Let me try to clarify this. We tried to do this in franchise mode by going to the edit lineups and pitching rotations screen. We didn't have the option to make those modifications for the CPU-controlled teams. I did not look at the pre-game screen.

And everything else appeared to be functional in the game I saw, so I don't think this is something they would have merely left out of the copy they showed me.

# 53 TheLetterZ @ 02/26/08 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac910
Sounds good. I wonder if the pitching has as many meatballs this year.
You mean when you screw up with the pitching controls? With the new right-analog stick pitching, you have so much more control over where the ball is going, and when you miss you will miss realistically. For example, if you release late, you're probably going to miss low.

# 54 lived @ 02/26/08 11:34 AM
Any idea if we will be able to influence the bat and hit sac-flys purposely.

# 55 TheLetterZ @ 02/26/08 11:36 AM
You can try to direct the ball left or right with the swing stick. I'm not sure about deliberately trying to hit the ball in the air.

# 56 lived @ 02/26/08 11:38 AM
Yikes, that would be dissapointing if you can't hit a sac-fly

# 57 BadKermit @ 02/26/08 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
Let me try to clarify this. We tried to do this in franchise mode by going to the edit lineups and pitching rotations screen. We didn't have the option to make those modifications for the CPU-controlled teams. I did not look at the pre-game screen.

And everything else appeared to be functional in the game I saw, so I don't think this is something they would have merely left out of the copy they showed me.
Thanks a ton for putting up these impressions. I think the above quote gives us hope. I got the impression that the pre-game screen is where we're allowed to edit the CPU lineup and rotation. If that's the case, it makes sense that you didn't see it in any of the other franchise screens.

# 58 SeaNNyT @ 02/26/08 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by born_bad
In -game saves were definitely available, even in exhibition games in 2k7. I did it all the time.
Yep.

# 59 TheLetterZ @ 02/26/08 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac910
When you dive for a ball, do you have to time it? Or do you just flick the stick when it says to, and wait to dive?
Yes, you have to time it now. More about that in the writeup.

# 60 Flaxseed Oil @ 02/26/08 11:49 AM
so are they the same bat sounds from the trailer?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.