Home
MLB 2K8 News Post

Matt Blumenthal had an opportunity to demo Major League Baseball 2K8 this afternoon. His official writeup of the event will be up later this week, but we wanted to get some quick thoughts up here for you guys.
  • This game looks beautiful, the player models have improved but the real leap is in the animations. The animations move silky smooth and there is no need to worry about herky jerky animations of the past anymore.
  • I'm impressed with how intuitive and fresh the analog controls are. The pitching takes a little time to get the hang of but the new mechanics add a whole new dimension to the pitching model.
  • The baseball cards feature is surprisingly cool, expect me to have more on that later on this week.
  • In-game saves are officially in the game this year.
  • Check swings don't seem to be a chore anymore. They are now accomplished by pulling back on the right analog stick - no more right trigger necessary.
  • Stadium-specific animations are in. The Yankee Roll Call was mentioned specifically.
  • There should be plenty of foul balls this year. I saw several in the few at-bats I played.
  • No spring training games this year.
  • I counted eight unlockable classic stadiums. I think more might be available by default as well.
  • No co-op play
  • You will have the option to make trades for CPU-controlled teams in franchise mode, but you won't be able to edit their rotations and lineups.
  • It was suggested to me that the demo is done and has been submitted. If that's the case, it's in Microsoft's hands now.
  • I will hit on a few of the big questions from the forum here.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K8Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
Member Comments
# 61 theaub @ 02/26/08 11:52 AM
I don't know if you can do this in '08, but someone with '07 could probably check it out. In the pre-game screen for dynasty mode, could you control both teams with different controllers? That way you could edit the CPU lineup and then just switch one controller back to the middle when the game starts. At least that would solve the problem.

# 62 chapmanosu1 @ 02/26/08 11:56 AM
I see you said no co-op, what exactly do you mean by this? Does that mean I can't play against someone sitting next to me? If so that'd suck.

# 63 TheLetterZ @ 02/26/08 11:57 AM
It means you can't play on the same team as a friend the way you can in The BIGS.

# 64 lived @ 02/26/08 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmanosu1
I see you said no co-op, what exactly do you mean by this? Does that mean I can't play against someone sitting next to me? If so that'd suck.
No he means that 2 players won't be able to play on the same team. Head to Head play will always be a staple in sports games.

# 65 lived @ 02/26/08 11:59 AM
So what impressed you the most?

# 66 chapmanosu1 @ 02/26/08 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lived
No he means that 2 players won't be able to play on the same team. Head to Head play will always be a staple in sports games.
good to hear. I couldn't figure out way they would take something like that out.

# 67 TheLetterZ @ 02/26/08 12:25 PM
Guys, I went back and double checked on the lineups. As mentioned, you won't be able to set lineups and pitching rotations for CPU teams in franchise mode. However, you will be able to change their lineup and select their starting pitcher from the pregame setup screen.

# 68 Knight165 @ 02/26/08 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
Guys, I went back and double checked on the lineups. As mentioned, you won't be able to set lineups and pitching rotations for CPU teams in franchise mode. However, you will be able to change their lineup and select their starting pitcher from the pregame setup screen.
Excellent.
That's good enough....

M.K.
Knight165

# 69 myghty @ 02/26/08 12:29 PM
Quote:
That should make some people SUPER happy...

# 70 RedLine @ 02/26/08 12:34 PM
Quote:
It means you can't play on the same team as a friend the way you can in The BIGS.
Thanks for all the info.

I'm bummed we don't get co-op play. I really enjoyed this mode all the way back to NCAA MVP 06 and of course the BIGS. Maybe next year...

I like the rest of the early impressions that are posted, sounding good.

# 71 brendanrfoley @ 02/26/08 12:35 PM
Quote:
We color me impressed. I look forward to reading your full write up (selfishly, I hope soon)!

My wife and I are taking a 'delayed' honeymoon in London next month, so no big purchases until then. But a 360 and 2K8 will be mine by mid-March. Can't wait!

# 72 X*Cell @ 02/26/08 12:56 PM
Something from 2k7: you weren't able to play against a USER controlled player in your Franchise mode.

Many times I wanted to advance in my franchise instead of wasting time in exhibition mode when my friends came over and wanted to play... but they couldn't take control of the CPU's team...

can they now take control in 2k8? (This is probably the most vital piece of information regarding my purchase of this game).

Are the classic teams relevant this year? (I didn't even see the point of them for 2k7 when all the players were fictional)

Is bunting easier? (Last year it was harder to bunt than it was to hit a homerun... with LUIS CASTILLO!!!)

When you turn down the amount of games per season in franchise (lets say from 162 to 20)... do the amount of minor league games scale down as well?

you said that there is much more variety in commentary this year, but I don't think that is the main concern regarding commentary... it would sound much more natural if the commentators talked MORE and those empty voids of silence were diminished... does 2k8 do this?

# 73 Krebstar @ 02/26/08 01:05 PM
I'm disappointed to hear you won't be able to play Spring Training games, but there is still more good news so it's not too bad of a hit to take.

# 74 born_bad @ 02/26/08 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X*Cell
Something from 2k7: you weren't able to play against a USER controlled player in your Franchise mode.

Many times I wanted to advance in my franchise instead of wasting time in exhibition mode when my friends came over and wanted to play... but they couldn't take control of the CPU's team...

can they now take control in 2k8? (This is probably the most vital piece of information regarding my purchase of this game).

Are the classic teams relevant this year? (I didn't even see the point of them for 2k7 when all the players were fictional)

Is bunting easier? (Last year it was harder to bunt than it was to hit a homerun... with LUIS CASTILLO!!!)

When you turn down the amount of games per season in franchise (lets say from 162 to 20)... do the amount of minor league games scale down as well?

you said that there is much more variety in commentary this year, but I don't think that is the main concern regarding commentary... it would sound much more natural if the commentators talked MORE and those empty voids of silence were diminished... does 2k8 do this?

To your last point - I love empty voids and wish more commentators would occasionally shut up, especially in a sport as slow as baseball. I don't need and don't like when commentators talk constantly and just ramble about obvious things I can see happening. Sometimes it's nice to just have some silence with the sounds of the actual game, instead of listenting to someone like Joe Buck talking out of his *** over the entire game. So, I agree the commentary has grown stale in the 2k series, but the I really don't want them to constantly be talking over the game. Some new commentary would be good.

# 75 Tomba @ 02/26/08 01:22 PM
would you say the build you played was A LOT different than the videos we HAVE seen of the game. Or are you saying that what you saw was like the videos or BETTER?

I'm jsut trying to clarify this smooth issue which i saw herky jerkiness in the videos alot.

# 76 FocusYoMindOnDis @ 02/26/08 01:28 PM
Some people would say that the ability to change the rosters pre game is good enough. I would as well..because what the Pirates do on their series versus the Giants is not my concern...unless it somehow screws up the stat engine which i dont believe it would. i just want the Trade AI to be better this time and we are good to go.

# 77 GnarlyKing @ 02/26/08 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldu
I heard Ben say that John and Joe didn't do any new work this year, it's just audio they had to leave out from previous years. I wish they would just hire some really talented voice actors. I don't need a familiar voice, I just need to hear somebody call a really good game of baseball. With voice actors, they are probabley at you becon call. Imagine the commentary we could have.
They already have awesome voice actors announcing their football games. Just have them do the baseball games too.

# 78 Rebel10 @ 02/26/08 01:58 PM
Thanks for the impressions.

Now, the lack of spring training is too bad, but in some 2K games, you can export your roster to exhibition mode and other modes. If this is possible then it won't make spring training as important, because you could test your young guys and new talent in the other modes. Any word on whether this is possible in MLB 2K8, as it is in NBA 2K8, and some others?

# 79 rock85 @ 02/26/08 01:58 PM
Quote:
Thats great as long as i have a chance to do it before the game

# 80 brunnoce @ 02/26/08 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba321
would you say the build you played was A LOT different than the videos we HAVE seen of the game. Or are you saying that what you saw was like the videos or BETTER?

I'm jsut trying to clarify this smooth issue which i saw herky jerkiness in the videos alot.
great question...i wonder that too since i didnt really like what i see from the videos.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.