Home
MLB 2K8 News Post

Matt Blumenthal had an opportunity to demo Major League Baseball 2K8 this afternoon. His official writeup of the event will be up later this week, but we wanted to get some quick thoughts up here for you guys.
  • This game looks beautiful, the player models have improved but the real leap is in the animations. The animations move silky smooth and there is no need to worry about herky jerky animations of the past anymore.
  • I'm impressed with how intuitive and fresh the analog controls are. The pitching takes a little time to get the hang of but the new mechanics add a whole new dimension to the pitching model.
  • The baseball cards feature is surprisingly cool, expect me to have more on that later on this week.
  • In-game saves are officially in the game this year.
  • Check swings don't seem to be a chore anymore. They are now accomplished by pulling back on the right analog stick - no more right trigger necessary.
  • Stadium-specific animations are in. The Yankee Roll Call was mentioned specifically.
  • There should be plenty of foul balls this year. I saw several in the few at-bats I played.
  • No spring training games this year.
  • I counted eight unlockable classic stadiums. I think more might be available by default as well.
  • No co-op play
  • You will have the option to make trades for CPU-controlled teams in franchise mode, but you won't be able to edit their rotations and lineups.
  • It was suggested to me that the demo is done and has been submitted. If that's the case, it's in Microsoft's hands now.
  • I will hit on a few of the big questions from the forum here.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K8Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 davewins @ 02/26/08 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lendog691
Don't you guys want it to be real ? I suppose some don't care but i think and for me anyway it just doesn't feel right. Do you think the Yankees would bat ARod leadoff or the Mets have J.Reyes bat clean up ? No, never in real life, this is what get when the ai controls the lineups and such, and there for you won't get realistic stats or games and it takes the fun out of it for me anyways. I just don't understand why they can't do this? I'll hold out hope until the game comes out or maybe they make a patch for it and i am sorry for being an *** about it , i was just looking so foward to it because last year i didn't get 2k7 cause of this problem and they supposedly didn't fix it this year either, which is why i'm upset about it.But i will get over it in time. and i really do love baseball espelly the sim kind.
Is that really going to happen?? I never played 2k7 so I wouldn't know. I just find it hard to believe that the CPU logic would bat Arod leadoff and especially Jose Reyes cleanup for any reason. I could be wrong though as I have never played the game.

# 122 TeixeiraFanatic @ 02/26/08 08:00 PM
A little off topic but it still goes with the lineup bug. I was playing MLB Power Pros today, also made by 2K, and I did a fantasy draft in my franchise. I go to play my first game and guess who's batting lead-off for the cpu? None other than David Wright!

I started thinking and yes he's great contact and a little speed but come on, lead-off? I'm starting to think that 2K is having some problems with the cpu's lineup decisions. I'm getting pretty concerned and I'm kinda mad you can only adjust there lineup before a game. This really getting old.

# 123 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/26/08 08:02 PM
Quote:
Don't you guys want it to be real ? I suppose some don't care but i think and for me anyway it just doesn't feel right. Do you think the Yankees would bat ARod leadoff or the Mets have J.Reyes bat clean up ? No, never in real life, this is what get when the ai controls the lineups and such, and there for you won't get realistic stats or games and it takes the fun out of it for me anyways. I just don't understand why they can't do this? I'll hold out hope until the game comes out or maybe they make a patch for it and i am sorry for being an *** about it , i was just looking so foward to it because last year i didn't get 2k7 cause of this problem and they supposedly didn't fix it this year either, which is why i'm upset about it.But i will get over it in time. and i really do love baseball espelly the sim kind.
Dude you haven't even played the game, so your going off of stuff that happen the last 2 years. Did you not read the part that said they work hard on this years CPU FRANCHISE Logic. You think they didn't know that their Franchise AI was BROKEN for the last 2 years. Trust me they knew. If your soooooooooooo worried rent the game & see how the Franchise AI Logic does.

# 124 lendog691 @ 02/26/08 08:08 PM
I'LL JUST WAIT FOR YOU GUYS TO TELL IT LIKE IT IS. i WASN;T GONNA GET THE GAME TIL RIGHT AROUND OPENING DAY AQNYWAY MAYBE EVEN A WEEK AFTER. soory for the caps.

# 125 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/26/08 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4reak
The lineups were attrocious, I remember JD Drew would always lead off for Boston, Beltran would hit like first and Jeter would be 5th in the lineup
I know you really don't like 2k baseball but to say JD Drew lead off every time for the Red Sox is really over doing-it.

# 126 soxnut1018 @ 02/26/08 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
I'd argue that the Cubs don't play real baseball either.
You have just gained my total respect!

# 127 huggerorange73 @ 02/26/08 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKermit
If you make it here, please, please, please don't call it Chi-town. And along those lines, please don't ever call them the Cubbies.
They prefer the term "lovable losers"

# 128 The Gamer @ 02/26/08 08:41 PM
^Funny how you take a jab at the Cubs and have a remark about the Cubs having not won a series above a positive statement about the Sox in your signature, even though the Sox won a series in 05. Inferiorty complex much?? Cubs will win the NL this year. mark it down. ok maybe not

# 129 huggerorange73 @ 02/26/08 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gamer
^Funny how you take a jab at the Cubs and have a remark about the Cubs having not won a series above a positive statement about the Sox in your signature, even though the Sox won a series in 05. Inferiorty complex much?? Cubs will win the NL this year. mark it down. ok maybe not
It's all in good fun man, relax.....even you gotta admit the comical nature of a 100 year drought.

On a side note, you're welcome to come on out to the Cell and I'll take ya to our inferior trophy & banner.

# 130 Blitzburgh @ 02/26/08 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Guys Matt said you can hear the difference between a dribbler & a blast. Brinkman has said that they recorded various bat sounds & those sounds will vary. Quote from the conference call:

Here's hoping this will ease people's anxieties...
Joe, I heard that too but it still seems that we can't get what I think is an amazingly simple answer to the bat sound question. The trailer bat sounds sounded like a real ball hitting a real bat but in every other video we have seen, they sound excactly like last years. Last years dido not sound like the real thing.

Why can't anyone that has seen a recent build of the game say yes or no to the sounds we heard in the trailer (bat hitting ball) are in deed what we will hear when we buy the game? I just don't understand. I only need to see one bat making contact with one ball to know if it sounds real or not. Crazy I say! haha

# 131 dmbfan1970 @ 02/26/08 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sask3m
i think our only hope is that the new sounds were in the last 10% of the build.
Yes, this is more than likely the case for the vids not having the newer sounds. I believe that we will get new sounds but NOT the ones from the trailer.

# 132 The Gamer @ 02/26/08 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerorange73
It's all in good fun man, relax.....even you gotta admit the comical nature of a 100 year drought.

On a side note, you're welcome to come on out to the Cell and I'll take ya to our inferior trophy & banner.
just giving you crap too.

Did you hear that the Cubs are going to be renovating Wrigley and will call The Cell home in 2010. Reportedly.

In regards to the 100 years, you would think they would have at least "lucked up" on WS championship at least once during that time. so many different players, managers, ownerships. The only constant is Wrigley. I wish they'd build a modern stadium out in Schaumburg and get rid of the beer garden.

# 133 Skyboxer @ 02/26/08 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Really, that news to me. Everything I've read so far has Joba as our 8th inning guy
Yeah that's what I've seen as well. He was starting as the setup and slowly brought in as a starter sometime after All Star break. Has this changed?

# 134 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/26/08 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Yeah that's what I've seen as well. He was starting as the setup and slowly brought in as a starter sometime after All Star break. Has this changed?
I doubt-it Sky.. I also heard him starting in the pen & then going down to the minors to throw starter innings somewhat after the All-Star game. Personally I hope they keep him in the bullpen & groom him to be Mariano's succesor

# 135 bigmoe @ 02/26/08 10:09 PM
Ive been wondering about the different camera angles.Any in where we can actually see the ball in flight to the outfield?

# 136 MizzouRah @ 02/26/08 10:49 PM
Quote:
I'LL JUST WAIT FOR YOU GUYS TO TELL IT LIKE IT IS. i WASN;T GONNA GET THE GAME TIL RIGHT AROUND OPENING DAY AQNYWAY MAYBE EVEN A WEEK AFTER. soory for the caps.

A lot of great news in this thread and one idiot. Hey, bitch about lineups AFTER the game comes out and it hasn't been tweaked/fixed.

# 137 lendog691 @ 02/26/08 11:17 PM
Idiot huh? I can deal with it call all the names you want still won't change anything.

# 138 JT30 @ 02/26/08 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
A lot of great news in this thread and one idiot. Hey, bitch about lineups AFTER the game comes out and it hasn't been tweaked/fixed.
Wow..very nice.. calling people names. Anyhow, where is all the great news? Half the posts on here were about bat sounds.

# 139 lendog691 @ 02/26/08 11:36 PM
Thanks JIM416 i am being kind of a baby but i thought maybe this was the year? Oh well maybe it still will be,there were alot of people saying you could do it even Brinkman himself so may be there's hope? I guess will find out next week.

# 140 The Gamer @ 02/26/08 11:38 PM
Not to put words in MizzouRah's post. I'm sure he doesnt' mean to stoop to name calling, but he's right on point. people should wait until the game comes out and see whats in the game before they start complaining about this version of the game. just my two cents.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.