Home
MLB 2K8 News Post

Matt Blumenthal had an opportunity to demo Major League Baseball 2K8 this afternoon. His official writeup of the event will be up later this week, but we wanted to get some quick thoughts up here for you guys.
  • This game looks beautiful, the player models have improved but the real leap is in the animations. The animations move silky smooth and there is no need to worry about herky jerky animations of the past anymore.
  • I'm impressed with how intuitive and fresh the analog controls are. The pitching takes a little time to get the hang of but the new mechanics add a whole new dimension to the pitching model.
  • The baseball cards feature is surprisingly cool, expect me to have more on that later on this week.
  • In-game saves are officially in the game this year.
  • Check swings don't seem to be a chore anymore. They are now accomplished by pulling back on the right analog stick - no more right trigger necessary.
  • Stadium-specific animations are in. The Yankee Roll Call was mentioned specifically.
  • There should be plenty of foul balls this year. I saw several in the few at-bats I played.
  • No spring training games this year.
  • I counted eight unlockable classic stadiums. I think more might be available by default as well.
  • No co-op play
  • You will have the option to make trades for CPU-controlled teams in franchise mode, but you won't be able to edit their rotations and lineups.
  • It was suggested to me that the demo is done and has been submitted. If that's the case, it's in Microsoft's hands now.
  • I will hit on a few of the big questions from the forum here.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K8Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
Member Comments
# 161 MizzouRah @ 02/27/08 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
What I found is the most defensive posters about baseball games are 360 owners. Coz they are "forced" to own 2k8 for a baseball game. The Ps3 owners are generally much more open minded....why? because they can own BOTH games. I'm sure there are ps3 trolls running around....but it seems like 360 exclusive owners get so defensive when others criticize their ONLY baseball choice.

so mizzourah.....I'm guessing you don't own a ps3

ps.- there were a couple of exclusive 360 owners last year, who basically found reasons to say 2k7>> show 07.....this year they bought a ps3....and suddenly the show series is the best since sliced bread and won't even look at the 2k series....I'm afraid you might be the third when 2009 rolls around
I own a ps2, wii, and 360. I could buy a ps3 if I wanted to, but I'm being honest when I say I played MLB 2k7 to death, warts and all. What I'm saying is, MLB 2k7 wasn't bad enough to make me jones for a ps3... and I don't think MLB 2k8 will either.

I've griped about many things in 2k7 last year and I'm sure some things will annoy me with 2k8, but I'm at least going to play the game.

# 162 phillyfan23 @ 02/27/08 01:24 PM
I sometimes don't blame these fanboys though. I wouldn't know how to react if my ONLY baseball game was getting criticized fairly or unfairly. That's why I am fortunate to be able to afford both systems so I'll never be on the outside looking in.

That said,

I am going to root for 2k no matter what....i am a fan of BASEBALL games, I am not a fan of SCEA. I like SCEA right now coz their baseball game is pretty tight. But, I hope that 2k comes out with a really good solid effort in 2008....we will see thru the demo.

From my experience with the show my personal rating for the game is 8.5/10. I base that on the things I have seen and felt and I use my own criteria to determine this.

Realism of hitting
Good stats ( Aproppriate HR, doubles/triples numbers, errors)
WALKS WALKS WALKS (user/cpu)
Graphics
Animations
Stadiums
Little things
Ambiance ( 2k wins on day to night progression hands down, crowd atmosphere is the show's forte)

I don't give a hoot about franchise options (supposedly the show is better here)
Don't care about minor leagues one iota (supposedly 2k takes the cake with more real players/stadiums)

So, In my ideal world I am hoping that 2k8 will get either a 9 or an 8. DOesn't matter which.

If it's a 9=....i'm ben brinkman's biggest fan, the scea guys will come out stronger next year

If it's an 8= will take the show this year, but i am glad kolbe/chris and the team from scea are sweating a bit due to 2k8 closing the gap.

in this ideal case, who WINS?? WE DO!!! both games will bust their behinds next year to outdo one another.

So even if I am leaning towards the show this year coz i tried the demo already, I am definitely rooting for 2k8 to outdo the show or at LEAST close the margin of the show's lead.

Some show fans will be happy if 2k8 gets a 4/10 rating? I don't understand why.....if that happens, the show guys MIGHT get complacent for next year's effort....who knows?

Anyways, let us all be civilized, coz we're out there looking for the best game to play.

Take care

# 163 roadman @ 02/27/08 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Good post.

Sadly though, it's just the effect these licensing agreements have had. It's only going to continue this way.

As much as people joke about the "fanboy wars" back when there were 3 games of the same sport... I actually miss those days.
People tend to forget the good ole days, don't they.

Oh HH has lousy graphics, ASB isn't realistic enough , WSB isn't that deep, AAA with their Lobster Cola and Can of Corn HR fest.

To borrow a phrase from an old song, "If you can't be , with the one(game) you love, love the one(game) your with. Don't be angry, don't be sad, etc.................

# 164 Pared @ 02/27/08 01:29 PM
Aye, enough with The Show talk... this is a 2k8 impressions thread...

# 165 ehh @ 02/27/08 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
What I found is the most defensive posters about baseball games are 360 owners. Coz they are "forced" to own 2k8 for a baseball game.
Actually I think the reason that's the case is because tons of The Show fans come in here posting ******** stuff that's way off-topic so 2K8 fans in turn need to get defensive at times. Not to mention the immense arrogance that The Show fans tend to display for some unknown reason. That doesn't seem to be the case in The Show forum w. 2K8 fans.

As someone else said, I'm a 360 owner but I can easily afford to go buy a PS3 if I wanted to but 2K7 was plenty good to keep me from even considering buying a PS3. 2K8 will be even better and I'll have a blast with it.

# 166 lendog691 @ 02/27/08 06:19 PM
Look i'm sorry for being an *** and i really do like 2ksports, there basketball games are unreal but the main thing for me in any game is total roster control. That being said it was just a demo and not the final product so maybe it is in the game? Enough people said that it is including Brinkman, so we won't know for sure til next week if it is. If not i'll move on i've been thinking about getting a ps3 anyway but hopefully i won't have to. I was just a little to overzelus last night and didn't mean to start stuff, it was the first time anyone had really gave out info about the game by playing it and i jumped the gun.I just hope everyone enjoys the game, including myself if i purchise it.

# 167 lendog691 @ 02/27/08 06:47 PM
I wish i wouldv'e used my head last night instead of flying off the handle but i did and deserved the crap i took for it. I will say though that Highheat for the PS2 was the best pure baseball game ever made! It didn't look very good but that ai was awsome, you had to know baseball pretty well or you would get beat. Does 2Ksports put manger profiles in there game? I've never heard about them doing it, kindda like Tony LaRussa baseball did on the pc? That would be something to look at in future games, if they don't have it in already.

# 168 djep @ 02/27/08 06:52 PM
It's kinda stupid to come into the 2K forums and constantly refer to 2K8 as "Macho Grande" when that is just an inside joke from the Show forums. That's just trolling.

# 169 countryboy @ 02/27/08 07:10 PM
I come in here to get impressions on 2k and what do I see....BS. Is it ever going to stop?????

I saw impressions on the first few pages but then wham bam its back to the same ol song and dance. Bickering.

Anyhow, from the few impressions I saw before the thread went to hell in a handbasket, I must admit, I am intrigued. The new pitching mechanic has my curiousity peaked and I am looking forward to the demo.

And as the case was for the Show(uh oh theres that word) I don't believe the videos and screenshots that we've seen thus far will do 2K justice. I can't wait to read real previews/reviews from the people who tell it the best....the community at OS.

Sorry to disrupt the norm here, the bickering can now resume.

# 170 Altimus @ 02/27/08 07:18 PM
Enough with the Show and "Macho Grande" posts.

# 171 sirwoodz @ 02/27/08 07:29 PM
in my opinion, the only upgrades that 2k8 needed was to tweek the gameplay...it SOUNDS as though they have done this and then some, this is going to be a great game.

# 172 TJdaSportsGuy @ 02/27/08 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
Anyone know if the PS3 version will support rumble?
I believe Ben answered that question in the conference call and the answer is no.

# 173 Village Idiot @ 02/27/08 07:53 PM
Am I missing something? Why is this thread so many pages long already before there's even a demo out? I mean, don't these threads usually stay locked until people can verify they have the game, etc.?

# 174 TJdaSportsGuy @ 02/27/08 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
Am I missing something? Why is this thread so many pages long already before there's even a demo out?
Because it's supposed to be about Matt (TheLetterZ) answering questions from people about the game. He got to demo it in Washington D.C. a couple of days ago.

# 175 Salhus @ 02/28/08 01:09 AM
I didn't buy 2K7 last year(1-because MVP 05 is a damn good game and 2-because 2K6 was horrible) and I am seeing a lot of people here saying that 2K7 was great AND I am seeing a lot of people say that 2K7 was bad....

All I am really seeing is a general opinion on the game..

does anybody have a thorough answer to why 2K7 was good or why 2K7 was bad? And why 2K8 will be good or bad??

# 176 myghty @ 02/28/08 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salhus47
I didn't buy 2K7 last year(1-because MVP 05 is a damn good game and 2-because 2K6 was horrible) and I am seeing a lot of people here saying that 2K7 was great AND I am seeing a lot of people say that 2K7 was bad....

All I am really seeing is a general opinion on the game..

does anybody have a thorough answer to why 2K7 was good or why 2K7 was bad? And why 2K8 will be good or bad??
Here is the bad of 2K7:
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...light=glitches

But no one can really answer why 2K8 is good or bad if no one here really hasnt played the final build.

# 177 El_MaYiMbE @ 02/28/08 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterZ
Guys, I went back and double checked on the lineups. As mentioned, you won't be able to set lineups and pitching rotations for CPU teams in franchise mode. However, you will be able to change their lineup and select their starting pitcher from the pregame setup screen.
The pregame setup screen with in the franchise or only in exhibition?

# 178 DrUrsus @ 02/28/08 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lendog691
Look i'm sorry for being an *** and i really do like 2ksports, there basketball games are unreal but the main thing for me in any game is total roster control. That being said it was just a demo and not the final product so maybe it is in the game? Enough people said that it is including Brinkman, so we won't know for sure til next week if it is. If not i'll move on i've been thinking about getting a ps3 anyway but hopefully i won't have to. I was just a little to overzelus last night and didn't mean to start stuff, it was the first time anyone had really gave out info about the game by playing it and i jumped the gun.I just hope everyone enjoys the game, including myself if i purchise it.
One of my problems with MLB 2K is roster control as well. I like to play a season with correct rosters for all teams, and make the trades, call-ups etc as they happen in the season, but in the recent past 2k has only allowed us to control 4 teams. If they went back to letting us control all teams lineups, and rosters again, that would also solve the problem of having incorrect lineups as well. Come on 2K, just give us this option. THose that don't want it can just control their own team.

# 179 DrUrsus @ 02/28/08 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh
It seems we are getting a bit of contradicting info...I thought I remember from the BB phone intereview or something that he said we can edit the lineups and rotation of the CPU contolled teams? Also, one person said there is in game saves and the other said there wasn't? Now I am confused! haha
Maybe I missed it, but can we human control more than 4 teams this year? If we could then I would control all teams like I did in the past and edit the lineups, do trades, call-ups etc.

# 180 Knight165 @ 02/28/08 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
Maybe I missed it, but can we human control more than 4 teams this year? If we could then I would control all teams like I did in the past and edit the lineups, do trades, call-ups etc.
No....just the four.
But they are saying you can set the lineups at the set lineups screen for both teams...good...and I said good enough originally, but now that I think about it I really hope they fixed the screwy lineup logic.
While it's fine that we can set the lineups before the game, if you still see a bunch of teams #3 hitter batting first in franchise games....it's gonna throw the stats of considerably. I really hope they fixed that.

M.K.
Knight165

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.