Home
News Post

Next Generation has posted an article entitled, Is Racing Gaming On Its Last Lap?
"Impossibly shiny cars, breathtaking speed, blue skies and roaring engines: racers were once videogaming’s ultimate expression of realism crossed with escapist fantasy. But while other genres have rapidly evolved, from the thunder and bluster of modern FPSes to the vast scope of RPGs, racers seem stuck in the same old routine of race upon tournament.

Even the biggest sellers don’t seem to be performing as well as they used to: once a perennial fixture at the very top of the UK Christmas chart, Need For Speed managed only fifth place as 2007 turned to 2008. Buried in the blizzard of last year’s big releases, Project Gotham Racing 4 has failed to ignite the same fervor as its predecessors. And can Gran Turismo’s luster really sell PS3 the same way it once did PS1 and PS2?"

Member Comments
# 21 pk500 @ 02/29/08 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenite
Some people think the sun rises and sets on NRS 2003. It was great in its day. But seriously, let it go. Two rFactors mods of NASCAR Simulation Series, and rfStockcars are better. More tracks, better graphics, and better driving physics. If you choose to ignore what's been going on Sprint Cup simulations, because it's not a licensed title from Papyrus, you're missing out on some great racing.
I have tried NSS, SCE and TPSCC for rFactor, and the only one that approaches NR 2003 is NSS. And it's still not as good in terms of driving and racing models. The driving model lacks the proper grip model of NR 2003, and the racing model is too permissive at some places. Take Daytona, for instance: You can beat and bang all day at that track and not get spun. That's very unrealistic. That said, NSS is still a worthy NASCAR mod for rFactor.

Other great things about NR 2003 that none of the rFactor mods have are the endless amount of real and fictional liveries, the endless amounts of add-on tracks, especially real American short tracks, and at least eight mods based on the superb Papy physics and racing model, such as Busch, Trucks, Whelen Mods, Cup 88, Cup 90, GN 1970, Saturday Night Stock Car, Trans-Am and IROC.

So yes, the sun still rises and sets on NR 2003 when it comes to stock car racing sims for the PC. ARCA Sim Racing is a promising contender for the crown, and it ships this weekend. I hope it's a great game that does well at the cash register.

Quote:
Other series: GTR2 overall may be the best pure driving sim made.
Have you played Grand Prix Legends or Richard Burns Rally? Both are much tougher to drive than GTR 2. You're right about GTR 2, though: It's a superb game.

These are all topics for fun debate!

Quote:
And there you have it. There's a lot going on with racing simulation. Just because there isn't a licensed NASCAR or F1 title on the market that blows people away, doesn't mean it's dying. Some people may also not look at "just a mod" and want a licensed game. That's your loss. There is plenty going on, you just have to open your eyes to see it.
Very well said, man.

Take care,
PK

# 22 BIG CAROLINA @ 03/08/10 05:17 PM
Man, I just picked up Dirt to Daytona and all I have to say is how in the H did I miss this game. I have been playing this game non-stop since Friday. This is by far and away the best Nascar game on a console.

Whom ever makes the next Nascar game please, please play D2D and steal their career format. I have never played a racing game this much.

# 23 Bellsprout @ 03/08/10 05:22 PM
I loathed PGR4. Don't make me buy "packs" of cars. I'll buy the ones I want and nothing else. I hated that. I ended up selling it and rebuying PGR3.

I think the new Gran Turismo will sell like gangbusters when it comes out. You know, if it ever does.

# 24 pk500 @ 03/08/10 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Next Generation has posted an article entitled, Is Racing Gaming On Its Last Lap?
"Impossibly shiny cars, breathtaking speed, blue skies and roaring engines: racers were once videogaming’s ultimate expression of realism crossed with escapist fantasy. But while other genres have rapidly evolved, from the thunder and bluster of modern FPSes to the vast scope of RPGs, racers seem stuck in the same old routine of race upon tournament.

Even the biggest sellers don’t seem to be performing as well as they used to: once a perennial fixture at the very top of the UK Christmas chart, Need For Speed managed only fifth place as 2007 turned to 2008. Buried in the blizzard of last year’s big releases, Project Gotham Racing 4 has failed to ignite the same fervor as its predecessors. And can Gran Turismo’s luster really sell PS3 the same way it once did PS1 and PS2?"
I take it the author never has played iRacing. That game has single-handedly breathed new life into PC sim racing.

# 25 superjames1992 @ 03/13/10 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
I take it the author never has played iRacing. That game has single-handedly breathed new life into PC sim racing.
The article is from two years ago before iRacing came along.

# 26 mercalnd @ 03/13/10 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
What's somewhat funny is that PK500 actually made 7 posts in this thread 2 years ago.

# 27 pk500 @ 03/13/10 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
Oops!

# 28 pk500 @ 03/13/10 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
What's somewhat funny is that PK500 actually made 7 posts in this thread 2 years ago.
I've drank a lot of beer and scotch since then. Cut me some slack.

# 29 simgamer0005 @ 03/14/10 04:33 AM
The only racing game I really play consistently is F1 06 for the PS2. That game is amazing and never gets old. I could see myself playing that game still 10 years from now. It's that good. I was never that into racing at all, but since I've been playing this game, now I find myself watching F1 races from time to time on the Speed channel.

F1 06 is an absolute keeper and I don't know how F1 racing could ever get better than that.

# 30 lnin0 @ 03/15/10 03:18 PM
This just in. PGR4 sales are down!!!

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.