Home
MLB 2K8 News Post

2K Sports Announces Free Demo of Major League
Baseball® 2K8 Now Available for Download on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace

While dedicated fans eagerly await the launch of the highly anticipated title, Major League Baseball® 2K8, 2K Sports today announced a free demo is now available for download through Xbox LIVE® Marketplace. Players will be able to practice their skills at Boston’s legendary Fenway Park by playing three full innings as either the Colorado Rockies or Boston Red Sox.

The free game demo will also offer fans a chance to experience the new and exciting features that Major League Baseball 2K8 brings to the virtual diamond through retooled pitching, batting, fielding and baserunning gameplay mechanics. Fans will also get a sneak peek at the stunning realism and depth of gameplay in Major League Baseball 2K8 through new Signature Style™ animations and redesigned stadiums that showcase the detail and specific architecture of each city.

Major League Baseball 2K8, rated E for Everyone by the ESRB, is now available in retail stores for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, and Wii™ home video game system.

For more information about Major League Baseball 2K8, please visit www.2Ksports.com.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K8Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
Member Comments
# 61 mjb2124 @ 03/05/08 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brophog
This makes a far better consipiracy theory than it does a business model. I'm sure they more than paid for their development costs in one day's worth of sales.

Furthermore, if your theory held true, why release the demo at all? Seriously, I want to see how far some of you are willing to take this absurdity.
Don't be so sure about those development costs in one day of sales. In fact, I bet it's the opposite. Developing a video game is quite costly. I've seen it first hand and know the development cycle very well. With that said, I have not seen the sales numbers for the first day yet.

I don't think it's such a far fetched conspiracy theory as you do... I'm too old for off the wall theories so I wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't feel something was off.

# 62 spankdatazz22 @ 03/05/08 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brophog
Welcome to OS. People get agitated about every game not annointed as "best ever in the genre".
Astute observation - although I do think not all games have to go through that treatment here.

# 63 Ferweezy @ 03/05/08 04:36 PM
Why is everyone whining about the game? It plays way better then 2K7. I'm still waiting for my copy MLB 2K8 to come in the mail and I'm enjoying this demo so far. Pitching is fun and challenging, and overall 2K8 plays a better game of baseball more then 2K7 ever did. You people are just whiners and some of y'all need to get a life instead of complaing on a message board.

# 64 Altimus @ 03/05/08 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferweezy
Why is everyone whining about the game? It plays way better then 2K7. I'm still waiting for my copy MLB 2K8 to come in the mail and I'm enjoying this demo so far. Pitching is fun and challenging, and overall 2K8 plays a better game of baseball more then 2K7 ever did. You people are just whiners and some of y'all need to get a life instead of complaing on a message board.
So complaining about complainers is even better?

You like the game, good. Others don't have to share your opinion and they have the right to voice their concerns. After all it is their $65 and not yours.

# 65 ninjamonkey @ 03/05/08 04:51 PM
I've played abotu 5 games of the demo so far.

3 things to mention:

- What is up with my fielders throwing the ball super high in the air? My throw has the correct amount of power, but it looks like they are giving each other practice pop flies sometimes. It doesn't happen every time, but it's occurred about three times so far.

- I had 2 runenrs on base, and hit the ball to the outfield. It didn't really look like the CPU outfielder was trying. He had to chase the ball and he picked it up, but he didnt throw it right away,. he kind of held onto it. When the relay man got the ball, he did the same. he caught the ball and instead of throwing it to home plate, he just kind of held onto it shaking his head in disappointment. I had a triple by the time the relay man got the ball, and I would have had an inside the park homerun if I had sent him home because again, the relay man just held onto the ball instead of getting it in. This is a hard play to explain. The point is I could have sent my guy home (I didn't) and have been safe, b/c the relay man was just standing there holding onto the ball.

- How realistic is it to if I have a guy on second, and the CPU intentionally walks Ortiz to face Ramirez with 2 men on base? I think the cpu was leading the game too.

# 66 metal134 @ 03/05/08 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTigLSU
Might have been the ump personality
I think you're right because when I played a second game, it was just the opposite. Anything a hair out of the zone was a ball. Certainly turns a negative into a positive for me!

The unfortunate thing about this demo, though, is you can't change options. So I'm basically relegated to seeing how it plays out of the box. I would like to see if I can get it where I want it with slider and option adjustments.

# 67 JT30 @ 03/05/08 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamonkey
- How realistic is it to if I have a guy on second, and the CPU intentionally walks Ortiz to face Ramirez with 2 men on base? I think the cpu was leading the game too.
Actually it is realistic.. many of pitchers have intentionally walked Papi to get to Manny.

# 68 ninjamonkey @ 03/05/08 05:04 PM
Thanks. I just thought it was a strange strategy, and even the announcers said something about it, so I wanted to ask here how realistic it was.

It wound up being a bad decision too, since Manny got a single and I scored.

# 69 JT30 @ 03/05/08 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamonkey
Thanks. I just thought it was a strange strategy, and even the announcers said something about it, so I wanted to ask here how realistic it was.

It wound up being a bad decision too, since Manny got a single and I scored.
Ya but it's almost a no win situation when you have to face those two guys back to back. You could pitch to Papi and he'll jack it out of the park, or you can walk him and then Manny burns you as well.. They are a potent 1-2 punch

# 70 metal134 @ 03/05/08 07:28 PM
I just had a very bizarre final inning. Bottom of the 3rd, tied 2-2. I led off with a double with Varitek. Lugo gorunded out, moving Lugo to third. Now here's where it gets weird. They walked Ellsbury and Pedroia back to back to get to Ortiz. I struck out with Ortiz. I then hit a grounder with Manny that Giles threw away, allowing Varitek to score. Game over, right? Nope. Manny takes off for second and Ellsbury comes in to give me the win 4-2.

# 71 mizzta21 @ 03/05/08 07:45 PM
why is the demo only for gold members??

# 72 bigtiggah @ 03/05/08 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzta21
i dont know, i guess they are paying a premium, giving msoft dough. the silver members will be able to d/l the demo in a week from what i've heard.

# 73 muggins @ 03/05/08 08:11 PM
I guess the framerate is fixed in the full game?

# 74 Keirik @ 03/05/08 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportdan30
What I find ironic is that the people here who are enjoying the game were most likely the same ones who were vocal about how wonderfully smooth Madden '08 and NHL '08 played because they ran at 60fps without any hiccups. They further commented that there was no way they could play the PS3 versions of the game because they ran at 30fps and the frame rate stuttered. Now, the shoe is on the other foot, and they're trying to convince themselves the frame rate isn't a big deal.

Now, you know what us PS3 gamers had to go through with Madden and NHL. As much as you want to spin it, it just wasn't good enough.
wtf...why were the same people who liked this game "most likely the same" who were vocal about Madden and NHL's smoothness?

proof or just talking nonsense?

# 75 Rules @ 03/05/08 09:02 PM
I downloaded the demo for the 360 and if the final version is anything like it, I will without a doubt.................pass! I have thoroughly enjoyed playing 2k7 and I will most likely finish it and then go out and purchase a PS3 just for "The Show". Honestly, I really feel that MLB 2k8 took the series in the wrong direction if this is what the final product plays like. After playing the demo, it took less than 10 minutes before I started getting bored. Atmosphere is a big part of baseball and boy was it lacking! Yes it was a demo but it was frustrating to see them screw up yet another franchise. First hockey and now baseball. Great job 2k............thumbs down for another great move.

# 76 ninjamonkey @ 03/05/08 09:24 PM
I forgot to mention I managed to survive a pickle with Manny Ramirez lol

# 77 Jistic @ 03/05/08 09:31 PM
Wow, the sky isn't falling after all. Played two games with the demo, and whaddya know? It was actually enjoyable. I was shocked.

# 78 born_bad @ 03/05/08 09:44 PM
Played the demo - there are definitely some nice things in the new mechanics. Pitching, hitting, and fielding are all done better and are actually fun. I just can't get past that it feels like an unfinished game. I feel like I'm playing a beta.

The nice looking grass from 2k7 has been replaced with a completely texture-less green solid of some kind. It's seriously just a green color on the field with no texture to it at all. The player models are definitely downgraded, the lighting isn't as nice as 2k7 and the game has very choppy transitions. Some of the animations are very, very choppy and plays where the catch moves to catch a pop-up look really bad. There's a long noticeable pause after they show the batter coming to the plate and when you can actually take control. These are all things that could have been improved with time, but it all makes it feel very unpolished and like it's not been finished. Like I said, it feels like a good beta, but not a finished game and for that, I'm not going to dish out the $60 for it.

# 79 boomhauertjs @ 03/06/08 08:53 AM
Played the demo last night. The new pitching mechanic is interesting, though a little frustrating at first. I like the new throwing style, though I forget to hit the cutoff man. I was kinda disappointed with the fielding. Something just doesn't feel right.
Graphically, I was a little disappointed. I don't think the graphics are much better than last-gen. There are some nice touches in the stadiums, but the player models are a little disappointing. And why is all of the print so freaking small! I've read people complaining about it on big screen TV's. Imagine what it looks like on my 24' SDTV!
Chances are I'll probably wait and see if a patch comes out that fixes the framerate issues. If I need a baseball fix once the season gets started, I might pick this up, but I think I'm going to hold off for now.

# 80 Tomba @ 03/06/08 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzta21
AND why the demo only out for 360 and why is the downloadbale content also only out for 360AND why do i have to even ask or worry about this? IF the game is multiplatform?!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.